New, lostand confused

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm absolutely serious. The clerks will have their say, and we will toe the line or have our toys confiscated. The Cyclemaster idea is great. They aren't too bad, but don't be fixated on just them, there are loads. Look up the NACC website and links, there's an NI section or equivalent club as well.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
Now that you mention it!!! I noticed recently i was pressing the kill switch and the engine wasn't dying, just running on

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
HOW MANY VERSIONS OF THE CYCLE MASTER ARE THERE?? is there a company that produce them now days? i never knew regulations were so tight about these kits. to tell the truth, the rozzers haven't bothered with me. and i've passed them a couple of times and they have even followed me. and nothing was said to me. probably too busy eating donuts

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It occurs to me, you could talk to the NI boys, and use the engine you have in an autocycle. Right vintage of basic design, and a competent vehicle for short trips. Or touring very, very, slowly.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A Follis. That's all I know.

And a New Hudson, your engine will go well in there

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There were a lot of manufacturers of clip on engines in post 1939 Europe, even a compression ignition 18cc Lohmann that would run on most combustible liquids. Mostly badly, but it ran. Friction drive, chain drive, complete hub motor units. All sorts.

Honda, Bridgestone and Suzuki all started their motorcycle companies with auxiliary engines as well. Take a look down the forum at the European and American lightweight pictures, there was a huge range of stuff.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
so it could only be the magneto or the cdi? how can i tell (without a multimeter) if the magneto is done/burnt out/dead?

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
I'm still having trouble navigating around the site. how do i find the European and American lightweight stuff.
the 18cc Lohmann sounds interesting

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
so i should get a new magneto then? every now and then she will still spark though. is that magneto problem then?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
so i should get a new magneto then? every now and then she will still spark though. is that magneto problem then?
If you've eleminated the spark plug, wire, cap, and kill switch, then the magneto coil, would be the next.

If you have an ohm meter, there should about 35 ohms on the blue wire, give of take a couple ohms.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
some cracking looking machines there. i just running a standard mountain bike frame, its really opening my eyes to the possibilities ahead of me. JUST AS LONG AS I CAN GET MY MOTOR TO RUN. +++ Is there a good supplier of parts here in the U.K. I only know of one, transformercycles, but there bound to be more?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Right, there's this bloke for kits, I don't know what he'sgot as spares:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-E...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=011&category=75211&cmd=ViewItem

There's somebody else I ran across over Manchester way, can't remember their name. Look up Dougy on this forum, he's used a Chinese, so he's probably got some names to talk to as well.

Something else that can be done is to use a Cag minimoto engine, there are lots of dealers and the design is more modern than the upright motors, and various reduction drives are available for them.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
is the Cag minimoto engine 2 stroke also? serious thinking about selling what i have for >49cc 4 stroke, is there any one selling one, even a 2nd hand kit?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Cag is the flat minimoto engine with a reed valve on the back/bottom end of the cases. Several dealers will sell you a complete engine and reduction box: http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/cata...plete-49cc-air-cooled-mini-moto/category/254/

Seddon somewhere in Ecky Thump land will sell you this if it suits: http://www.seddondirect.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=370
There are minimoto/petrol scooter places that will sell you various reduction drives that are likely to fit, including a variomatic transmission:http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/gearbox-dr49-type-2.html

I don't know that there are that many bike engine kits fitted over here, never mind 4 strokes second hand.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
is that the whole engine + gear box for £48+£6=£54?? £54 why am i fluffing about with this thing that i bough? is the output shaft socket the right size for the 1/2 inch chain that came with my kit?