Me and my bee

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
My weed eater is electric so the bee is louder. But seriously I guess it is a weed wacker engine. It's quieter than my neighbors weed wacker if thats worth anything.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I have had time to ride it and it's great. I can do around 26 on the flats and with minimal pedaling about 15 up some pretty steep hills. I wish it was flatter here but I will make do. I'm sure there are faster horses in the barn but this suits me fine. I kind of want to expiement with different rollers. It has a threaded shaft that's 14mm. I guess I'd have to drill out a BMX peg and thread it. I'm glad I went with it. There is some pedaling involved but I don't mind. I'm still getting exersize.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
After several days of riding I have grown to love this little engine. I'm pedaling up hills but that's ok. I recon if you don't have hills where you live this would be a perfect kit (I'm looking at you, Oklahoma). My only issue is with the throttle...it's a little sloppy. Easily fixed. Some folks may be able to slap it on and ride but for best results, futz with it. Take your time and figure what works best. I was disapointed at first but once I realized what it can and can't do I have learned to truly enjoy this kit.
What it can't do:
Take off from a dead stop
Go over 30mph (I top at 26, but I'm 215lbs. You skinny folks may go faster)
Climb steep hills by itself.
What it can do:
Take you about 18 or so mph average on somewhat hilly terrain, 20+ plus on a long flat stretch.
Start every time
Get you from point a to point be without a lot of sweat
Turn heads, make people smile, make bikers laugh, make cyclists roll their eyes, get you to the coffee shop, the record store, the hardware store, the farmers market or the office in style.

I hope my reviews and info were helpful. When I originally googled bumble bee bolt on, I didn't get much info. I'm glad I rolled the dice.
I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied coustomer.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I may get a barrel adjuster from my LBS and put it on the handle bar end. I don't know about yours by my cable rubs on the engine shroud once it's out of the housing. A little filing may help with that.

militaryman

Sep 13, 2012
oklahoma
I've gone 13 between filling it again. I havent officially tested it.
But at 13 miles it was pretty much empty ?

That would seem to indicate the original tank is 1/10th a gallon in size or less

That is pretty restrictive but I guess you can bolt on an old army canteen full good for anohter 20 miles or so

cvlt1

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It gets me as far as I need. But a back up tank is always a good idea. I am thinking of putting a penut tank on it.

militaryman

Sep 13, 2012
oklahoma
It gets me as far as I need. But a back up tank is always a good idea. I am thinking of putting a penut tank on it.
Well, 13 miles is one mile over my round trip to work and back --- AND I DO Live in OKLAHOMA (flat land ) so dang it, I am in for one!

Order placed!

Thanks

Now, gotta pick a bicycle --

dance1

militaryman

Sep 13, 2012
oklahoma
Great, hope you enjoy it. Give us a review on your experience!
Ok, So I got my bumblebeebolton kit and have been using it for several days now.

It was quite a bit more difficult than I thought it would be to install but part of that is due to the bicycle that I put it on --

I got a La Jolla 26" Men's cruiser at Walmart for $65 (reduced from $99 for a seat surface defect that means nothing to me )

The frame tubing was larger than the u-bolt that came with the kit for engagement and disengagement of engine so I had to modify that .

Also the plastic part of the engine had to be further "dremelled" away to avoid it hitting the wide cruiser tire. I say further because it comes already cut out when the kit arrives to accomadate the tire.

The friction roller that came with it lasted about 3 tankfuls of gas before it was warped and worn to a useless mess ... Included with kit was another roller but I noticed it started to warp and wear immediately also

I took about a day at home depot thinking of various ways I could work around buying rollers from the bumblebee website at a ridiculous $12 a pop and came up with a solution that has been working so far ( a few tanks )

I use a combination of iron plumbing pipe connectors to make a roller that slips over shaft of motor and tightens down with original supplied washer and bolt.

It does wear the tire and so I am not sure how long it will be viable ----

Performance wise I am averaging about 17 mph and it is pretty weak powerwise --- I usually try to help it on take off up to speed and have to help if I am going up the smallest of hills

BUT overall I am OK with how it is performing if I can maintain that performance without having to tinker incessantly with it

My goal for this project was only to give myself a mode of transportation back and forth to work on relatively flat country roads (roundtrip 13 miles) while my car was in the body shop for two weeks

I figured I would spend the rental car $$ on the project and then at least at the end of the two weeks I would still hopefully have a decent backup trans instead of a rental car receipt.

So far, so good -- the bicycle adds 10 minutes to my trip to work ( noramlly takes 12.5 min in a car and I do it on bike in about 22.5 min )

Based on that I think that a bike that took me say 30mph instead of 17 would actually only cut 5 min off my trip max and I am pretty sure I would feel ALOT less safe cruising at 30 on the walmart bicycle than at 17. At 17 rear cruiser brakes become much more sufficient and potholes do not come up so fast especially in the dark of morning ( 530am )

So, there you have it

Not really a full endorsement of the friction drive by bumblebee but time will tell for me ultimately

Last edited:

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Ok, So I got my bumblebeebolton kit and have been using it for several days now.

It was quite a bit more difficult than I thought it would be to install but part of that is due to the bicycle that I put it on --

I got a La Jolla 26" Men's cruiser at Walmart for $65 (reduced from $99 for a seat surface defect that means nothing to me )

The frame tubing was larger than the u-bolt that came with the kit for engagement and disengagement of engine so I had to modify that .

Also the plastic part of the engine had to be further "dremelled" away to avoid it hitting the wide cruiser tire. I say further because it comes already cut out when the kit arrives to accomadate the tire.

The friction roller that came with it lasted about 3 tankfuls of gas before it was warped and worn to a useless mess ... Included with kit was another roller but I noticed it started to warp and wear immediately also

I took about a day at home depot thinking of various ways I could work around buying rollers from the bumblebee website at a ridiculous $12 a pop and came up with a solution that has been working so far ( a few tanks )

I use a combination of iron plumbing pipe connectors to make a roller that slips over shaft of motor and tightens down with original supplied washer and bolt.

It does wear the tire and so I am not sure how long it will be viable ----

Performance wise I am averaging about 17 mph and it is pretty weak powerwise --- I usually try to help it on take off up to speed and have to help if I am going up the smallest of hills

BUT overall I am OK with how it is performing if I can maintain that performance without having to tinker incessantly with it

My goal for this project was only to give myself a mode of transportation back and forth to work on relatively flat country roads (roundtrip 13 miles) while my car was in the body shop for two weeks

I figured I would spend the rental car $$ on the project and then at least at the end of the two weeks I would still hopefully have a decent backup trans instead of a rental car receipt.

So far, so good -- the bicycle adds 10 minutes to my trip to work ( noramlly takes 12.5 min in a car and I do it on bike in about 22.5 min )

Based on that I think that a bike that took me say 30mph instead of 17 would actually only cut 5 min off my trip max and I am pretty sure I would feel ALOT less safe cruising at 30 on the walmart bicycle than at 17. At 17 rear cruiser brakes become much more sufficient and potholes do not come up so fast especially in the dark of morning ( 530am )

So, there you have it

Not really a full endorsement of the friction drive by bumblebee but time will tell for me ultimately
It sounds like you didnt have your bungee tight enough..IF you dont have the right tension it will wear down the wheel quickly and you will only go about 15 mph..was the drive wheel slipping alot? I have about 400 miles on mine and its still1 1/8th in thick..you gotta have the tension just right..

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It takes some tinkering to get the bumble bee just right. I was disapointed at first but once I got the knack I was hooked. I have to pedal some times but I got it up to 30mph. Average is in the 20's. I love mine.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
It takes some tinkering to get the bumble bee just right. I was disapointed at first but once I got the knack I was hooked. I have to pedal some times but I got it up to 30mph. Average is in the 20's. I love mine.
Ya you just gotta get the feeling for it..when you do its a good ride..not that fast but very reliable..if you ask bumblebee they usually will send you a home made tool to adjust the carb..as you see it takes a special tool..they sent me one 1..when i asked..good luck and enjoy your buzz!

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I just got back on my Bumblebee after using my two stroke china girl for 3 weeks straight. I need to readjust my tension as the cool air and lack of use has loosened the bunjee a tad (it seems that way anyway). I replaced the stock throttle lever today and now I have a ton more control which is very nice. Now I just need to retension it and get it back to what it should be.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I just got back on my Bumblebee after using my two stroke china girl for 3 weeks straight. I need to readjust my tension as the cool air and lack of use has loosened the bunjee a tad (it seems that way anyway). I replaced the stock throttle lever today and now I have a ton more control which is very nice. Now I just need to retension it and get it back to what it should be.
Bumblebeebolton has new drive wheels made outta urethane.They barely slip and getting the tension right is alot easier. you have email them to get one. they are not on the website yet. I have 7 hours on mine and it hasnt even barely made a mark on it!.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
The euothane roller is now available on the website! I just ordered one. I do have three delrin rollers I need to use though. I need to lower my psi I think. I went back up to 50, they recommend 35.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
The euothane roller is now available on the website! I just ordered one. I do have three delrin rollers I need to use though. I need to lower my psi I think. I went back up to 50, they recommend 35.
With your urethane roller its gonna take alot less tension with the bungee..check out walmarts low rider tires. they work great! I think there the best tire for friciton kits! There 28 bucks but worth every penny! Smooth Rides!