Is it worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

MRzUrban

Apr 29, 2011
Albany ny
My older brother makes custom bikes for a local vintage bike club, and we are contemplating buying 2 powerking 49cc sets for some tinkering fun. However, it looks like they are totally illegal in ny? Anyone ride in ny? Email me if you have info or just reply here:-|| really wanted to build one of these...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Knowing what I know from other riders - it's illegal in NY.

You can do electric hub assisted, but no gas bikes.

Though - I'm not sure what the laws are as far as registering them in NY.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Here is the New York law.New York Moped Laws, The catch is this you cannot make a bike with motor, no homemade gas bikes. There is a list of Manufacturers that are approved by the State of NY. I registered my bike with the DMV back in Sept of 08. No inspection, helmet. insurance,the only requirement is a headlight must be on during the day.(not enforced)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am in NY and I have four motorized bicycles that I use to ride around town on.
In my area I ride around all of the time, no problems.
The trick is to ride normal, not like an @$$hole, obey stop signs and traffic lights, etc.
Don't attract undue attention to your self.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would tinker with electric bikes in NY. You want to be able to ride it without worrying about if you are street legal. I do not see the laws changing soon regarding motorized bicycles in NY.