loss of power

GoldenMotor.com

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
i lose some power when i run wot. i have pirates ported billet with a boost bottle and a low profile filter on the carb. when i ease up on the throttle it holds its power very well. any idea's?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Buy the next size up, drill it out or contact the guys at pirate to see what they suggest for your application.

You can buy a set of pin vise drills from a lot of places, hobby shops, ebay, or harbor freight to name a few.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
the plug is lookin good. that kinda chocolate brown color. although i'm not entirely sure what the jet is. also i'm riding on 29'' wheels. will i get any benefit from switching to a 36 or 38 tooth sprocket. i'm not lookin for break neck speeds but more so to help my cruising speed and not feel like the engine is gonna blow up.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
29" wheels and the engine is still revving up? You have a good one. Your problem is indicative of a too small main jet. Using taller gearing will only make it worse.

It's the gold looking part that the slide needle goes down into. You can remove it by removing your float bowl, and looking inside there, it has a slot like a screw and a hole in the middle.

You can richen your mixture a bit by leaning your fuel to oil ratio, like from 16:1 to 36 or 40:1.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
its pirates pk-80 slant head and yeah it kicks ass. i started with a strait head on an old 26''schwinn and it was what i expected but the pk-80 had balls to no tomorrow even on 29'' wheels and no bolt on's. so if i change out the main jet would i still have problems with the taller gearing? or is it best just left alone (the gearing)