48cc vs. 69cc.

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
I could be wrong but electrical conduit strap sounds like plumbers tape to me.
no conduit strapping is found in the electrical section of home depot....look at some electrical work somewhere....there is one hole and 2 hole versions of the "hooks"that hold it to the wall, ceiling, what ever...get the one that has holes on both sides... if i remember right 1/2" straps will match the holes in the motor....those ones that come with the kit just bend when tightening causing the motors to loosen up...

thanks kevlarr for not letting me look like an idiot...i dont know what they were thinking with that metal strapping

Last edited:

freddy

Sep 28, 2009
Ontario
I'll probably get kicked of this forum for saying this but here I go...
DO NOT BUY GENERIC (no name) engine kits. You get what you pay for. Sorry but it's true. Too many people try to save money and go for the cheaper brand kits. I'll get a deal off ebay. Remember some people do not care. All they want is your cash. There are brand name kits that have been in the market for a long, long time. Why? Because they stand behind their quality engine kits. Go with a brand name. Spend a little extra money. You get what you pay for. Generic engine kits are good for nothing.
If you have a problem with your engine kit, you want someone who will stand behind it, not charge you for shipping when you break a part on the install.
Buy brand names only. Generic dealers are after your cash and nothing else. Go with the people who have been in the business for awhile. Brand name people have more invested in business and want you to be happy. They're in it for the long haul.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I guess I must be just plain lucky. Got my kit from ebay for as cheap as they come and sure I have had and do have the odd problem, however I find it well worth the money.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
no conduit strapping is found in the electrical section of home depot....look at some electrical work somewhere....there is one hole and 2 hole versions of the "hooks"that hold it to the wall, ceiling, what ever...get the one that has holes on both sides... if i remember right 1/2" straps will match the holes in the motor....those ones that come with the kit just bend when tightening causing the motors to loosen up...
Those conduit mounting brackets from Lowes and Home depot do work for engine mounts in a pinch. (ask me how I know) I suggest doubling up on them for secure mounting because they are kinda thin.

RJC

Oct 25, 2009
Chandler, AZ
There are two different types of conduit 'straps'. One is for 'EMT' conduit which is super thin and the other style is for 'IMC' conduit which is much thicker (and so are the straps). The thicker or stronger conduit hangers or 'straps' will also be marked "rigid" and have red writing on the bags. They're sometimes found in the plumbing section at Home Depots or Lowes.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good to know about the heavier conduit straps. I'll tuck that bit of information away in me BB brain. Thanks. Having a variety of different mounting options is good, since one installation is best one way and other install is totally different.
SB

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida
Where does one get #41 chain? and where can u get a chain tool for it to get rid of the master link? My master link broke and the chain jammed on the fwd gear and bent my output shaft. End of motor.

"Biggest thing is make sure your sprocket is straight and upgrade to the #41 chain,"

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
68cc vs 48cc hmm, lets see if you get caught here in CO with the 68cc 1st theres a no insurance ticket $750, no plates or registration $300, if the cops having a bad day theres a whole slew of safety violations you can get nailed with that can cost hundreds, if it happens a second time on the no insurance you can get your vehicle impounded and a trip to jail. Thats just on your second ride, shall we continue? Any thing with a 68cc motor motorcycle rules apply. For now 48cc your ok.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
68cc vs 48cc hmm, lets see if you get caught here in CO with the 68cc 1st theres a no insurance ticket $750, no plates or registration $300, if the cops having a bad day theres a whole slew of safety violations you can get nailed with that can cost hundreds, if it happens a second time on the no insurance you can get your vehicle impounded and a trip to jail. Thats just on your second ride, shall we continue? Any thing with a 68cc motor motorcycle rules apply. For now 48cc your ok.
On the other hand, an officer would be hard pressed to insist your engine is 68cc if you say it is 48cc unless there is a plate or sticker saying what it is. Mine have been unmarked other than one which had a sticker, easily removed. I'm a pretty honest person, but have no trouble fibbing on this one. Actually, come ta think of it, all my motors are 48CC now that you ask. Heh heh heh...They just go faster than most of the other 48's fer some reason. Probly the oil.
SB

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I hear ya SB Id do the same thing. You know though cops arent stupid and theres young ones out there who read the internet and are into our hobby also, with my luck Id end up getting pulled over by one and Id just be a notch on his gun then. For me the price is just too high to pay by taking that chance......one other thing SB, Ive lived in alot of states and Ive never seen a tougher state on traffic laws then CO. They dont play here your guilty pay up. Just a speeding ticket here if its your 1st one theres no deferred adjudication like traffic school like in other states, it stays on your record for 7 years not 3. CO is tough.

Last edited: