CA. Law Info

GoldenMotor.com

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Just passing this along. This guy sells kits on e-bay and answered the question below. His seller ID is "artistic_1one"

Q: Hi, I have been trying to figure out CA's laws on these. Can an 80CC motorized bicycle be registered in CA? I thought they had to be under 50CC. Do they require C.A.R.B. approval or is an EPA sticker enough? Sorry, I want to get my girlfriend one and she won't ride it unless it's legally registered in CA. Thank you, Ken Oct-08-08
A: I stopped by DMV and waited in line. DMV stated... "if it has pedals, no need to register. It is considered a bicycle" Hope this helps

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
Just passing this along. This guy sells kits on e-bay and answered the question below. His seller ID is "artistic_1one"

Q: Hi, I have been trying to figure out CA's laws on these. Can an 80CC motorized bicycle be registered in CA? I thought they had to be under 50CC. Do they require C.A.R.B. approval or is an EPA sticker enough? Sorry, I want to get my girlfriend one and she won't ride it unless it's legally registered in CA. Thank you, Ken Oct-08-08
A: I stopped by DMV and waited in line. DMV stated... "if it has pedals, no need to register. It is considered a bicycle" Hope this helps
I am not a lawyer and I am not in Law enforcement.

From reading the vehicle code in California concerning Motor Assisted Bicycles and also from contacting the local Highway Patrol office as well as reading the California Highway Patrol web site. Here is my take on MAB.

If it is electric with peddles, it does not need to be registered.
If it has peddles and a gas engine, it is a moped and needs registration.

Now with that said: It also seems there is a really lax attitude among 95% of law enforcement in California. It is that 5% that I got a Moped License for.

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
k....

if your bike produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower then all you need to do is fill out the "Motorized Bicycle Instructions and Application (REG 230)" (( you can get the form on dmv.ca.gov under the link Vehicle Registration Transactions and turn it in at the DMV. im sure there is a registration fee.

if it produces more the 2 gross brake horsepower then you need an M2 class license and a moped registration. its then considered by the DMV to be a moped.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I found this in ....The Downey Patriot

Downey,CA
Q: What is a “motorized bicycle” and what are the rules and requirements to drive them?

A: First, there are two types of motorized bicycles. The first is a moped or motorized bicycle – a two-or-three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, a motor which produces less than 2 gross horsepower, and has a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour.

The second is a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that has an output of not more than 1,000 watts, and has a maximum speed of not more than 20 miles per hour.

Motorized bicycles do not need to be registered. However, you will need a Class M1 or M2 (moped only) license to drive and helmets must be worn by all riders.

Q: Are motorized bicycles or mopeds allowed on city streets?

A: Motorized bicycles are allowed on bicycle lanes that are adjacent to a roadway. They may be ridden on the street on the far right hand side as to not impede traffic if a bicycle lane is not available. Motorized bicycles are not allowed on bike paths or lanes that are not adjacent to the roadway or any other pedestrian trail or path unless otherwise posted.

Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? Readers can submit any DMV-related questions to [email protected].

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
I am not a lawyer and I am not in Law enforcement.

From reading the vehicle code in California concerning Motor Assisted Bicycles and also from contacting the local Highway Patrol office as well as reading the California Highway Patrol web site. Here is my take on MAB.

If it is electric with peddles, it does not need to be registered.
If it has peddles and a gas engine, it is a moped and needs registration.

Now with that said: It also seems there is a really lax attitude among 95% of law enforcement in California. It is that 5% that I got a Moped License for.
You actually got a moped liscence for your bicycle? What part of California do you ride your bike? I live in Modesto, and before I put a motor on my bicycle, I want to make sure that I know the laws ...

I still want to be able to ride my bicycle (without the motor running) on the sidewalks, and other areas, where motorized vehicles may be prohibited.

Is there any legal problem with riding motorized bicycles when the motor is not operating? Or do the restrictions apply once you have attached the motor, even if it is not running?

I really want to have an electric motor than will push my Electra Townie faster than 20-25mph. I would like to be able to go at least 35-40mph. Although, I will not ride that fast all the time, just when I'm commuting on country roads where the speed limit is faster than 35mph.

I was reading through the California laws regarding mopeds and motorized bicycles, and it doesn't seem to be specific enough .... or is there a more thorough version of the law that gives more details?

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
k....

if your bike produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower then all you need to do is fill out the "Motorized Bicycle Instructions and Application (REG 230)" (( you can get the form on dmv.ca.gov under the link Vehicle Registration Transactions and turn it in at the DMV. im sure there is a registration fee.

if it produces more the 2 gross brake horsepower then you need an M2 class license and a moped registration. its then considered by the DMV to be a moped.
Do you need a license plate? tail lights and turn signals, horn, headlight?

Does the same law apply to bicycles with electric motors?

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
Sending in a REG 320 with $16 will get you a license plate. There's nothing about lights or horns, so I'm assuming they're not necessary; check the REG 320 for the four requirements. The other day I saw a moped rider with a MB plate without turn signals, so I guess it's okay.

As for electric, the motor has to be under 1,000 watts, and not capable of more than 20 mph to be exempt from licensing. Else, you need to jump through the same hoops as for a gas engine.

Last edited:

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
Sending in a REG 320 with $16 will get you a license plate. There's nothing about lights or horns, so I'm assuming they're not necessary; check the REG 320 for the four requirements. The other day I saw a moped rider with a MB plate without turn signals, so I guess it's okay.

As for electric, the motor has to be under 1,000 watts, and not capable of more than 20 mph to be exempt from licensing. Else, you need to jump through the same hoops as for a gas engine.
What state are you in? I read through the law (yikes!), and it seems a bit ambiguous still ... As you said, there wasn't any mention of having tail lights, brake lights and signal lights for a motorized bicycle.

I believe the price increases 50 cents every year, and is up to $17.50 for 2008. So for 2009, the price will be $18.00, and add another 50 cents for every year thereafter ...

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
Exemptions - What the Hay ... ???

This sounds like some kind of exemption for motorized bicycles:

(c) Except as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b), none of the provisions of this chapter relating to motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, as defined in this code, shall apply to a motorized bicycle.

V.C. Section 24015 - Motorized Bicycle: Safety and Equipment Requirements

I just turned up this piece of vehicle code: V.C. Section 24015 - Motorized Bicycle: Safety and Equipment Requirements

It turns out we do indeed need to have a headlight, tail light, and a horn.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi well a little of what I know about this is:

Moped is less than 2 Gross BHP, capable of less than 30 mph on level ground, capable of human propulsion ie pedals, single cylinder, Max of two-speed auto trans is allowed if INCAPABLE of being manually shifted.

M2 license required, tho unclear on availbility

Moped max allowable speed is 30 MPH PERIOD! if you need to go 35-40 you are in MotorDriven Cycle and Motorcycle territory, plan accordingly.

When sold new many Mopeds had no turn signals/thus the grandfathering on signals

There is no clear info on head, tail and brake lights, HOWEVER if it is dark, you better have some, your license plate will not save you.

You need to chesk the "Fee's and assesments" pages for current pricing. As the license plate page, nor the reg 230 will tell you.

This is a thought, not a law carved in stone, BUT, I would think you might want to get your plate BEFORE the state might require all those lights AND a saftey check?

2008 price 18.00 for the plate, it started out at 5.00 a long time ago

The REG 230 is the easiest licensing tool this state has had in my lifetime, tho I am always amazed how many people complain about it, and wont use it.

Shifting is illegal on CA streets, and not legal in any Moped class in the world, that I am aware of.

Excessive noise is a chance that the state will crack down on us.

Learn the laws concerning Bicycle and Moped, so we can avoid the hassles.

I never mess with electrics, but the language in state law continually confuses people, so they think they are not a moped, when they have gas engines.

If you want bicycle status, and are riding where engines are not allowed to be operated, yours had better be COLD!

The CHP website is pretty good info, the DMV page on Moped Plates, the Motorcycle handbook, and Vehicle code are all very important tools to figure out the intricacies of CA law.

Mike

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Ca state law is very detailes when it come to motor assisted bicycles. A liscence plate is suggested for $18. But it does depend on who you speak wih at the DMV office because a motor size stamp could mandatory. then you have to complete a home built vehicle form and pay $27. My dad works for the DMV and although he admits no one really knows what to classify a motor assisted bicycle, everyone agrees that you need to follow traffic laws to make sure you do not attract attension from the Sheriff of Police Dept. He did suggest that I might as well as get a plate and an M2 liscence for myself. This short inconvenience will head off any long term and expensive inconveniences down the line. We're lucky that Ca is laxed with us at the moment, do not push it.

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
Ca state law is very detailes when it come to motor assisted bicycles. A liscence plate is suggested for $18. But it does depend on who you speak wih at the DMV office because a motor size stamp could mandatory. then you have to complete a home built vehicle form and pay $27. My dad works for the DMV and although he admits no one really knows what to classify a motor assisted bicycle, everyone agrees that you need to follow traffic laws to make sure you do not attract attension from the Sheriff of Police Dept. He did suggest that I might as well as get a plate and an M2 liscence for myself. This short inconvenience will head off any long term and expensive inconveniences down the line. We're lucky that Ca is laxed with us at the moment, do not push it.
I was thinking on adding turn signals. I already have a nice strong headlamp, with four different settings, and many good tail lights, some with six different settings! I have a squeeze horn that is pretty loud.

I think I will go ahead and get the plates, and an M2 license, just to be safe. Even though I don't have a motor on my Townie yet, I'm starting to wear my helmet, just to get used to it, so when I get the motor, I'll be ready ....

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Motorized bicycle with no motor????

Hi well vja you got me here!
I cannot figure out how you, who have apparently not even decided which engine you might want to use, could possibly apply for, and recieve, a plate, for a motorized bicycle, telling them info about the engine, when in fact you do not have an engine.

Did I miss something?

Mike

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
vja4him, Get the bike put together first. You may have to take it to the DMV before they give you a plate since there is no serial number or cc stamped on the motor. You can apply for the M2 liscense or go for the M1 if you want to ride at night. If you take a class on motorcycle safety with the CHP, you do not need to take the actual riding test. You just have to take the written. And if you want to get insured, it will save you some money as well.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
HI I'm not familiar with the CHP saftey course, how bout some details?

Thanks,

Mike
Call your locat CHP office and ask about taking a motorcycle safety course and schedule one. Once completed, you get a DL 389 form that you take to the DMV. If you are under the age of 21 it is a mandatory course. Over 21 and you can go with out the driving test. Attached is where the info is on the Ca DMV site.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

And here is the site for the Motorcycle Safety Course.

Welcome to the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) Website .....................................................................

Hope this helps.

By the way, sarting January 1st, 2009, it will be illegal and punishable by up to a $100 fine for smoking in a vehicle with a minor.

Driver license for 2008

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
Re: Motorized bicycle with no motor????

Hi well vja you got me here!
I cannot figure out how you, who have apparently not even decided which engine you might want to use, could possibly apply for, and recieve, a plate, for a motorized bicycle, telling them info about the engine, when in fact you do not have an engine.

Did I miss something?

Mike
That is, when I have a motor, I will get the plates and an M2 license ... just to be safe, and ready if I ever do get stopped ...