Throttle cable repair:-pix and how to!

GoldenMotor.com

daninthesand

Jun 8, 2009
Winnipeg
Hi all. If you have ever needed to shorten your throttle cable this is how you can repair it once its cut. Of course you could use this for brake cable etc.
I had this idea to repair the throttle end of the cable. It's a modified version of how Norm describes he does the carb end. Thanks for the inspiration Norm!

Here we go.....

You need a throttle cable (duh), copper tubing (diameter depends on your exact application), tubing cutter, solder, flux, small blow torch, small drill bit, file.

Clean about 1 inch of the tubing with fine sandpaper. Its a good idea to clean the inner surface of the tubing, if you can, using a small round file. Any oxide that's there will degrade the quality of the solder joint. Drill a small hole about 1/16 - 1/8 inch from the end of the tubing, but only go through one wall. Do this before cutting the tubing to length, it's way easier.

Cut the tubing to about 1/4"

REMEMBER TO THREAD THE CUT CABLE THROUGH ALL THE PARTS OF THE THROTTLE ASSEMBLY BEFORE SOLDERING!!!!

Push the throttle cable through the hole and out the side as shown below. After its through, fray the end a bit. This helps keep the tubing from falling off while you work.

Pull the cable back, until its as shown:

Last edited:

daninthesand

Jun 8, 2009
Winnipeg
Put lots of flux on. While holding the cable with piers (this acts as a heat sink to prevent heat transferring to anything other than the cable-prevents heat damage to other parts) and solder the end until the tubing is full of solder and you see the solder creep up the cable just a bit. You do not want solder to creep too far up the cable since it needs to remain flexible.

Clean up the end with a file and voila! A newly created throttle cable that fits perfect!

daninthesand

Jun 8, 2009
Winnipeg
LOL. I just had a peek at Norm's new You tube video on how to repair the cable. Its great! I love the commentary. Like I said, my post was inspired by Norm's idea....just another way to do it. Hope it helps!

PS. If this is in the wrong section, moderators, feel free to move it ! thanks.