Kent Del Rio?

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Ok, I have searched and searched. Has anybody tried an install on a Kent Del Rio? I just did the Genesis Astra 29er, I liked it alot. It was aluminum frame but felt very sturdy. I would do another one but do not like the wheels as far as the v brakes. The stopping power is very weak. This is a build for my daughter, she picked this bike out. It looks very nice, brakes are very good. Only it feels so light and worried the frame may not be strong enough. I planned on changing the wheels and hubs out. Just worried about the strength of the frame.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm always leery of aluminum frames. Aluminum can work harden under motor vibration and crack.
Also harder to secure the tensioner (if needed)

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I am considering mounting a 49cc 4 stroke on it. Not a 2 stroke. So as far as vibrations they won't be as bad. I am thinking of larger reinforced mounts that come with the 4 stroke bracket. So would the aluminum frame issue make a difference towards the plus side going with a 4 stroke versus a 2 stroke?

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
To end this thread on a safe note, I have decided not to build on this bike. Besides the nice design and good brakes, I would not be 100% confident riding on this frame. Just doesn't feel solid to me.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I did my first build on a kent del rio frame. Pretty nice frame considering thats th only frame i worked with lol except my gt2a-s frame. Bad thing about the kent del rio is the top tube is too wide for the gas tank so that needs to be customized or use a rear rack

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I may consider doing one. Just did another 29" Astra. Those 29er's are a B**** for a 4 stroke build. I ordered a rear tank and rack for the Del Rio before deciding against it, those parts arrived today. I may still do it. I just ordered a Huffy Newport and hopefully will receive it in a few days. Gonna try that one out. Hopefully will be building that one by Monday.

SykadelicJuijitzu

Dec 8, 2013
MO
My brother and I just finished an installation of a 66cc engine on a Kent Del Rio. He bought the motor kit as an early Christmas gift and after several days of internet searches and Youtube videos, he also purchased the Kent Del Rio, despite the lack of info or manuals for installing the engine on the bike, and his want of matching the black motor and black gas tank with a giant 29" chrome bike, we decided upon the 26" red Kent. I more or less sat and watched with a beer in my hand and stupervised my brother as he assembled the various parts. A manual would have helped, but it definitely wouldn't have been fullproof because we soon found out why most of these engine installations are considered custom because many parts, although their simplicity, require customization and modification. All in all, the engine wasn't hard to mount to this bike. Many of the parts mount tight but we also used alot of rubber (I suggested latex but even though it was ribbed for her pleasure, my brother refused, and we ended up cutting up an old motorcycle tire and buying some thin rubber at a hardware store) to get a good grip on the frame so we weren't hooking directly to metal. We didn't drill any holes in the frame although it was tempting at times and the way some parts fit it seemed almost pure luck, however the gas tank took some tinkering as the top tube of the bike is over 2" wide. But being the redneck hillbillies we are, we found a way, with a couple of metal rings that seemed all too perfect, especially after we drilled a hole in the mounts provided for the kit.
I'll post some pictures if anyone's interested. Kent Del Rio with an engine. I wouldn't have it without my brother's Christmas gift this year and I probably wouldn't have it together without my brother's doing the majority of the work. I'll try to update this as I ride it more. Our first test drive was slick... and I don't mean the bike. It up and outta nowhere dropped a ton a snow on us couple days ago and we drove it down our icy county road. We just couldn't help ourselves, however, I would suggest to no one such tom foolery.usflg

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I may consider doing one. Just did another 29" Astra. Those 29er's are a B**** for a 4 stroke build. I ordered a rear tank and rack for the Del Rio before deciding against it, those parts arrived today. I may still do it. I just ordered a Huffy Newport and hopefully will receive it in a few days. Gonna try that one out. Hopefully will be building that one by Monday.
you'll need this,

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Alloy-Mountain-Cable-Brake/dp/B000AO7H16

I use one and it it very good quality compared to anything on the newport / engine clutch cable.

You'll need to sand all of the paint off the rims (where the brakes will touch). Straight up. You'll also need to true these rims before you even think about sanding off the paint. I did a newport and one of the rims was almost AN INCH untrue. It is absolutely necessary to true them.

you might also want to consider making those gears on the newport usable with something like this (i cannot confirm this works with newports) and also the other shifter can be the choke. very pretty

Lastly either remove the fenders entirely (easy) or locktite everything and find a way to reinforce the fenders so the mount relies on more than what it does from the factory.

Also, I would suggest regreasing everything, and repacking every bearing with your own grease.

Also, make sure those brakes are correct. When i recieved mine (in the mail) the brakes were, for lack of a better word... ****ed. I had to replace the brake pads and adjust them accordingly.

after doing all this stuff you should have a very sturdy and reliable bike. I actually like riding the little newport more than my onyx, but please, don't tell my onyx that.

Also, I wouldn't suggest mounting the fuel line as shown, it proved to be very problematic. I'm still trying to make it work.
[/URL][/IMG]

IdaCrue

Aug 9, 2014
Idaho
I just finished a Kent Del Rio build and it turned out really nice. The only issue was the top rail. The gas tank studs were too narrow to fit it, but a couple of pipe hangers clamped around the rail worked great to secure it. I got another one to build for the wife. Haven't started that one yet.

Attachments