Dax engine replaced

GoldenMotor.com

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
I bought a Dax F80 engine for my second build a Electra Coaster bike. After starting to break in the engine it was noted that it had a bad vibration in it no matter what speed it was running. I took the bike down to Jim at Creative Engineering to see what he thought after rideing it. We tryed every thing that might cause the vibration but no luck. It was decided that the engine was put togeather with a bent crankshaft. I called Dax and told him what we had tryed and thought that the crankshaft was bent. Duane said to box it up and send it back for a replacement. It took a little while but the new engine has arrived and is now going through a easy break end. Sofar it has more power and only a small amount of vibration. Duane did what he says he will do and delivered. Here is some pictures of the bike now.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I bought a Dax F80 engine for my second build a Electra Coaster bike. After starting to break in the engine it was noted that it had a bad vibration in it no matter what speed it was running. I took the bike down to Jim at Creative Engineering to see what he thought after rideing it. We tryed every thing that might cause the vibration but no luck. It was decided that the engine was put togeather with a bent crankshaft. I called Dax and told him what we had tryed and thought that the crankshaft was bent. Duane said to box it up and send it back for a replacement. It took a little while but the new engine has arrived and is now going through a easy break end. Sofar it has more power and only a small amount of vibration. Duane did what he says he will do and delivered. Here is some pictures of the bike now.
Glad everything worked out. Duane is one of the few kit sellers who will stand behind his product when there is a genuine problem.

Cabin,

I have made about 20 of these mounts for a variety of frames. They are in the testing phase. I've had one, (rigid mount), to fracture thus far. The material I use for protoypes varies as I buy it from an Alro metals drop center. The Aluminum used in the mount that fractured was imported from Brazil.

The plan is to have neoprene isolators between the engine and the mount as is shown on my website. 3 have been put together with isolators, and it works great!

Jim

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I just bought a replacement cdi from thatsdax, but have to wait for it to ship. I have bought a few things from their before and I will keep going back. I just hope I do not blow the cdi because of my magneto that I rewound (but I will test the current coming from it when I get the cdi in.)

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I have a bad vibration in mine from Dax. Maybe that's the problem with mine. Is there any way to check before sending it back?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I just bought a replacement cdi from thatsdax, but have to wait for it to ship. I have bought a few things from their before and I will keep going back. I just hope I do not blow the cdi because of my magneto that I rewound (but I will test the current coming from it when I get the cdi in.)
Reg,

I don't think you'll mess-up the CDI. The CDI is matched to the coil. From what I remember seeing on your re-wind post, the voltage is going to be considerably lower than original. The worst that is going to happen is that the spark will be weak, or non-existent.

The primary coil, (Blue wire), is 3,600 turns of 35GA. wire. The secondary coil, (White wire), is 300 turns of 26GA. wire.

Jim

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Reg,

I don't think you'll mess-up the CDI. The CDI is matched to the coil. From what I remember seeing on your re-wind post, the voltage is going to be considerably lower than original. The worst that is going to happen is that the spark will be weak, or non-existent.

The primary coil, (Blue wire), is 3,600 turns of 35GA. wire. The secondary coil, (White wire), is 300 turns of 26GA. wire.

Jim
cool thanks Jim I did add an extra 100 feet to the coil, because I read a post Norman did and he said it was about a half an inch total winding. If I do get a spark and the motor runs it will be a great post for people to have the insurance that rewinding does work.

Which post was that from "The primary coil, (Blue wire), is 3,600 turns of 35GA. wire. The secondary coil, (White wire), is 300 turns of 26GA. wire"