shaft drive

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Try looking for an old Yamaha QT50 or also known as the Yamahopper moped, I think these were shaft driven and would be pretty easy to lace the canter hub to a bicycle wheel... Another plus, or could be a problem depending on what's wanted is that these were single sided swing arms so one could mount it as a functioning swing arm and have rear suspension as well. Otherwise, the shaft could be trimmed and made to adapt to just about any small engine and should be able to withstand up to about 10hp or so.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Depending on what was sold locally to anyone, Yamaha did a 4 stroke Honda Cub type bike called the Townmate, and that was shaft driven.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Used to ride the Rugged cycles shaft bike. I always wanted to figure out how to use the shaft for a drive train. But, never got around to it and now that bike is gone.

It was a nice bike to ride other then the solid tires that made it a real hard ride.

Attachments

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Used to ride the Rugged cycles shaft bike. I always wanted to figure out how to use the shaft for a drive train. But, never got around to it and now that bike is gone.

It was a nice bike to ride other then the solid tires that made it a real hard ride.
did this bike have a three piece crankset? if it did I would imagine running the motor through the shaft drive would be as easy as adding a freewheel sprocket to the crank and running a jackshaft to it.

also this is a really cool looking bike, by the way.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
did this bike have a three piece crankset? if it did I would imagine running the motor through the shaft drive would be as easy as adding a freewheel sprocket to the crank and running a jackshaft to it.

also this is a really cool looking bike, by the way.
No it did not have a three piece crank. I don't know about the newer models though?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Subscribed. Would result in a super clean looking bike. Imagine a single-sided swingarm with just the shaft drive.

Anybody ever tried combining small 4-strokes, v-twin single crankpin fork/knife rod lowers 90deg style? Like that honda 70 v-twin, only with predator 79s or lifan 97cc flatheads.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I wonder how strong the gear reduction in the shaft drive bicycles is. It holds up to pedaling forces but an engine can exert possibly 10x the torque on the worm drive or ring and pinion driving the rear axle. I've contemplated a shaft drive motorized bicycle but haven't pursued it due to the increased cost for diminishing returns, when I've had great service from simple chain drive setups using KMC nickle plated HD chain on the single speeds, and Whippermann Connex for the 9 speed shifter.

For those who don't like the messiness of a chain drive due to the grease, you can try dry wax chain lube with teflon, like White Lightning, which doesn't attract dirt.

Direct drive is definitely a great idea but I think maybe using a moped drivetrain would offer more trouble free riding without gear failures.

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
How about using a weed whacker mounted in frame, with the shaft cut to size and a roller that would engage with the sidewall of the tire?
Also, has anyone ever used a cone shaped sliding roller so that you could have multiple gear ratios?
you could combine these ideas with the ww shaft mounted in an outer sheath that allowed it to slide forward and back allowing a cone shaped roller to contact the sidewall at different widths of the cone.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think I've seen a stepped roller in the past, and Serwa of France made an engine with two different diameter rollers. Changing ratio was done by rocking the assembly so one roller or the other was in contact with the wheel.

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
Oh, La La!
I am amazed by how many different ways one can achieve multiple gearing.
this is why I love this hobby. It's the perfect combination of imagination, and engineering, and no one takes themselves too seriously!.cs.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I had a Honda CX 500 in '79.
V-twin, water cooled, 5 speed shaft drive.

I really loved the thing, it was soo smooth and I never had to dick with it.
The weight however I think would be the killer on an MB, and your wouldn't want to do it with a 2-stroke.

buonghuy

Apr 14, 2016
HCM
It is designed for a pedal powered bicycle and the gears, bearings and shaft might not be up to the task of delivering power from a motor. Keep us posted if you try this

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It is designed for a pedal powered bicycle and the gears, bearings and shaft might not be up to the task of delivering power from a motor. Keep us posted if you try this
Considering the age of this topic a shaft drive was abandoned.