Best motor to buy?

GoldenMotor.com

Thomson85

Nov 26, 2008
Tx
Ok... so for the past week I have been having difficulties finding out who are ligit companies to buy from, or should I buy a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Friction drive, or chain driven...

I like the look of the 49cc/80cc 2 stroke engines advertised on the web! I like where they sit, I just dont really know if I like the friction drive as of where they sit on the bike.

But with 4 stroke, no adding oil w/ gas. So basically I want all of your opinions... whats the best place to buy a kit from?

See I am actually up in between buying a full suspension bike or one with just front shocks, because the 2-stroke engines wont mount on the bike with rear shock!

But, when it comes to rear shocks or engine.... I choose engine.

Also i'm seeing these 2-stroke engines going for around $140

And that's right around the price range I am looking at.... suggestions on engine to get and where to get it from?

Thomson85

Nov 26, 2008
Tx
ok, sorry... let me re-direct my question!

I have roughly $150 to spend on an engine kit... what can I do?

Would it be better to try to make a "weedwacker" motor bike? Maybe cheaper? Good engines I suppose.

But ultimately I would like a kit! I would plan to use it for traveling about 8-10 miles to school and work. I know that the chinese motors aren't considered reliable... although I have read MANY reviews that are insanely awesome, and a few HORROR stories. And I know to avoid revolutioncycles, I have read TOO many stories and no matter I am driven away from such buisness practices!

So, $150 what can I do guys? Whats my best choice? Who provides good deals and is the least likely to rip me off?

I am looking at anything from 49cc to 80cc engines, and of course to avoid having to mix fuel I would prefer 4-stroke, but at the same time I don't mind 2-stroke what so ever.

I saw on thatdax (dot) com he was selling the 50cc $129 and the 80cc $139

with a price difference of $10 I am tempted to get the 80cc (but I've read that it's still only a 50cc, and just claimed to be a 80cc)

Also, in California (moving back there), if you have a motor assisted bicycle 49cc or under you do not need a motorcycle lisence or insurance on it, so I am wondering if I get the 80cc and get pulled over, if they could prove it to be 80cc's?

So $150 what should I do... help a new guy out?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
With a hundred and fifty, you can buy a chinese in-frame bicycle motor kit like the one you mentioned from thatsdax for 129, and have a little money left for gas.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I haven't tried one yet but I intend to get my next engine from Dax. The two cycles are your best bet for power to weight. However I have found with the chinese kits that I have spent a bit replacing the kit parts with parts of more "reliable" manufacture. Such as the clutch handle. I also find I am replacing parts on the cheap chinese Huffy I started with so keep that in mind as you begin your project. The hook with these things is that once you start you are always looking for ways to make it better! Don't expect to get away with just $150! I speak from experience! :rolleyes:

Thomson85

Nov 26, 2008
Tx
well my main issue is that I have a full suspension bike... so I am not sure if I can chain drive, rear mount the 2-stroke Dax engine, because the throttle and/or clutch cable might be short!

I was also thinking of just using a homelite weed whacker motor 26cc, but I hear a lot about shafts breaking off! Plus I am not sure if I want to do "Friction Drive" because of excessive tire wear.

I've also heard of chain driven weed whackers also have a tendency to have the shaft break. I think one thing that I can't find is a good tutorial. So in my efforts to make this bike I think I will make a tutorial as well (video and pics).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Rear suspension and a frame mount engine? It can be done, but may be a bit of a hassle, unless you really want to go that route. You would be a perfect candidate for a rack mount type.

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
i can tell you where not to buy! don`t buy from boygofast on ebay. the guys a total scam... he sent me a "tested" motor. then he swore up and down the thing was new... lied from begining to the end and i have the pictures to prove it! the thing was so sludged up it looked like the inside of a valve cover from a 200,000 mile vehicle! his name is rick... watch out for the guy. he sells under a couple of different names. lady something is one of his selling account names. have a good one and ride hard!