vintage Schwinn speedometer repair

GoldenMotor.com

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
can it be fixed or is it a paperweight? anyone know where to find info/parts for this old dinasour? it appears to be all there & i don't see anything that looks broke... feels like its locked up solid. the cable that slips into it just wont turn, even with pliers... although i didn't try real hard, fearing i'd break something.
any input would be much appeciated

Attachments

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hi Geezer, I've some luck freeing up frozen speedos with liquid wrench or other penetrating oils. Just have to let it wick into the corroded areas and try to turn it every few days or so. The little shaft the cable slips into usually sticks in it's bushing due to moister over time. Once you get it to move a little, add some light weight oil like 3 in 1. Good luck.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Armour All is another good thing to use sometimes because it will clear away some crud and NOT damage any plastic parts inside- it probably won't dissolve any rust, but neither will it contribute to it.

On the other hand WD 40 was actually designed for electronic uses, but will short circuit electronic things out if it isn't dry-

In June of '08 I lost almost everything in 7 feet of flood waters- it was all not just wet- CAKED in mud that would not easily dissolve- I had to throw caution to the wind to try to save some electronic stuff- tearing much down to circuit boards- and plain old fashioned Windex glass cleaner bought back several things- including a laptop that had been under water for several hours- of course you have to let it dry thoroghly oif there's power involved.

I also had to wash my entire CD and DVD collections like dishes in the sink- and the damage was surprisingly minimal- although I had to throw out ALL the cases and lables soaking wet with stinking moldy slime waters.

I'd clean the speedo first with armour all and the use mostly WD 40 in small amounts- it dissolves rust, and isn't too bad on plastic.

Last edited:

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
the internal parts look surprisingly good (little or no gunk) the plastic gears look fine for having a little over 1500 miles on it... have put a few small drops of liquid wrench in the end... will try to free it up tomorrow ...then repeat if need be. The case was pretty rough with rust and pitting so i sanded it all down and will paint it.

that sucks Kat, sorry to hear you got caught in that flood. I seen pictures of a hotel my family had stayed at a few years before. There was an outdoor tiki-bar that my wife and i had a few drinks at and there was a small boat floating right where we had been sitting, the boat woulda been sitting right on top of our heads... was kinda surreal.

thinking if i do get this thing working i might try hooking it up to a drill in a vise and just run the miles back on the counter... wonder how long that will take :)

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
worked like a charm... thanks again guys. once i got it to break free i used a little tri-flow, got it turning nice and smooth... a few days hooked up to the drill and it's back to zero :)