Anyone in Gilbert, Az area that can help?

GoldenMotor.com

ltflex

Oct 31, 2011
Gilbert, Az
I've got a Flying Horse Angel Fire 66/80 cc kit. My first one, and I'm having big ups and downs with it. It worked great, then like crap, then I read ALOT of stuff off of this site and got it running great again. Now back to where I was. Basically it is running pretty rough, doesn't want to accelerate without feeling like its running way to hard and shaking way more than the usual. I ran 16:1 for break in, now I'm at 32:1 because my plug was black and oily. My kill switch worked, then didn't, then did, now doesn't again. I never really had to do any thing to the wiring it was all hooked up and looked good. And like I said would work then wouldn't. So I suspect this is part of the problem. I'm really hoping to find somebody in my area that can hear it, ride it, and help me understand what is wrong and how to fix it. I'd even throw ya a few bucks.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you saying the CDI to engine wiring was done at the factory? I'd be very suspicious of it if that's the case. The factory supplied plug-in connectors are notorious for bad electrical connections. Splice, solder then protect with heat shrink tubing for a permanent connection.
I'm one who believes that a working kill switch is a good safety device and should be used as opposed to relying on the choke. In an emergency, panic stop situation you don't want to be fumbling down between your legs feeling for the choke lever.

Tom

ltflex

Oct 31, 2011
Gilbert, Az
I agree. If I have to kill the engine quickly I'd like to have the switch. But to eliminate it as a problem, I did disconnect it and nothing improved. It starts great, and runs continously, it does run rougher than normal. When I first accelerate it's not bad, then when I get going (don't have a speedometer yet) to about 10 mph, any further acceleration causes strong vibration and feels like the motor is running to hard. It's not getting the high firm rpm's. It's getting deep throaty hard vibrating rpm's. If that makes any sense. It was running smooth and strong like above expectation. And over night this sympton started.

ltflex

Oct 31, 2011
Gilbert, Az
no. the cdi wasn't connected to the motor at the factory. I'm saying all connections that I made where good, and all wiring from the motor and the cdi where in good condition. I don't have the tools needed to check the wiring more thoroughly than hand and eye.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
City of Angels suggested you to check all of the engine mounts. Look closely for cracks, broken studs, missing nuts, etc. If all looks good then you could have something internal going on. A hard vibration that suddenly crops up could be the sign of something broken inside.
How's you chain tension and alignment. No chance that the vibration is a loose chain/ sprocket, wheel bearings?

AZBill offered help too. It's always easier to diagnose a problem like yours first hand instead of via written text.
Good luck.
Tom

ltflex

Oct 31, 2011
Gilbert, Az
yeah. all looks good as far as nuts and bolts. Chain is good. I hate to keep starting it with it running like this for fear of doing more damage. But I agree I think it is something internal. I also read that people have a simialr issue with bad cdi's. But it almost feels like my truck did when the transmission went. revving without acceleration, but the engine is winding as much as bogging so I'm confused. Thats why I'd like to try to meet up with someone who has the expereince. I've already spent 400+ dollars putting this together, so I'm trying to learn more instead of replace parts. If I can ya know? Sounds like part replacement is pretty regular for these.:-||

ltflex

Oct 31, 2011
Gilbert, Az
yeah. thats what I'm gonna try to do. Because I'm at a loss as to what is causing it run this way. It fires right up no problem, and idles till I shut it off. I've adjusted the carb needle, checked my wiring, disconnected the kill switch, replaced the spark plug boot, checked the exhaust for blockage, and it still is labored running and acceleration. So hopefully this weekend I can get in touch with him.zpt