Bike PUSHER???

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've seen another video on youtube with a similar setup...seemed to work well. It's from the guy that rides with his seat turned backwards.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I've seen setup's like this in old Mechanics Illustrated magazines archived in the big public libraries and University libraries. It was back in the 1920's and up till the time of WW2. Somehow those were different times and publications like "The Boy Mechanic", and "The Boy Electrician" were around so that boys could learn skills growing up. After WW2 it seemed somehow to be different.

Perhaps it was because of the industrialization and availability of machine made eloquences that "things" could be purchased on "charge accounts" and with that the pride, sense of accomplishment, honor, and dignity of being able to say..."I designed and built that with my own hands", became vintage notions.

There isn't much that's really new under the sun. There are a lot of revivals of older ideas with new spins or materials that offer a new approach to doing things.

Your Public Library may have computer access to much of this old stuff I speak of. Often it is available thru EBSCO and you need to find a Librarian MLS in reference who knows how to help you.

This example is just the covers I found of old Popular Mechanics . Some of the old libraries actually have original copies in binders going back to those old times where you can look thru each month for that year.

PopularMechanics1922-09.jpg

I find a lot of reprints of old articles and books available from older times at

Lindsay's Technical Books

So if you see something that looks strange by todays standards, it likely is a blast from the past being revisited.

Lightfoot

Jul 3, 2008
Moab, Utah
I've seen setup's like this in old Mechanics Illustrated magazines archived in the big public libraries and University libraries. It was back in the 1920's and up till the time of WW2. Somehow those were different times and publications like "The Boy Mechanic", and "The Boy Electrician" were around so that boys could learn skills growing up. After WW2 it seemed somehow to be different.
Here's a website with a lot of those cool old magazine articles: Vintage Projects and Building Plans

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Wow, I just clicked thru that site Lightfoot and I think it's excellent. I know from looking at various web sites on the net that there are many young men building, experimenting, and inventing thimgs just as those same kids of the 20's & 30's did. Utube shows video's of many of their projects as well.

I only hope more young men step out from behind the computer and spend some time in the shop to develop their bench craft skills. Then apply computer tech to what they do both from the research on the net to the design phase. And dads, uncles, and grand dads give birthday and holiday gifts of tool boxes with beginning mechanical, electronics, and carpentry & masonry tools. Then try to support the kids efforts with guidance, advice, and project plans appropriate to their ages. These essential qualities have to go into boy's when they are growing up as after they are grown they may have no interest in learning about it. But the boys who do gain these skills growing up will be better able to look after themselves and families later.

If anyone else knows of vintage workshop project sites please mention them.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I only hope more young men step out from behind the computer and spend some time in the shop to develop their bench craft skills. Then apply computer tech to what they do both from the research on the net to the design phase. And dads, uncles, and grand dads give birthday and holiday gifts of tool boxes with beginning mechanical, electronics, and carpentry & masonry tools. Then try to support the kids efforts with guidance, advice, and project plans appropriate to their ages. These essential qualities have to go into boy's when they are growing up as after they are grown they may have no interest in learning about it. But the boys who do gain these skills growing up will be better able to look after themselves and families later.
I wish I would have been able to do more projects when I was a kid. My dad was a handyman and in to carpentry and construction and stuff, but all I ever really got to do was hold the nails and stuff like that :(

Though honestly I think I've done fairly well. I was able to pay enough attention to know what I'm doing now that I'm an adult. All my auto knowledge is self-taught (it's amazing how quickly you'll learn when you have to fix it to get to work).

I just wish I got to do cool stuff as a kid.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Jasonh worte:

I just wish I got to do cool stuff as a kid.
I'd bet many of us feel that way deep inside and it's why we're here. But that's a function this board could excell at. Anytime anyone here sees something like Lightfoot posted, or any other interesting projects that could lend itself to a motorized bike in some way, then by all means mention it here. Post a link to it at least.

We should emphisize the resources sticky to all the new members when they join and encourage them discuss any web sites they know of where people have done something cool that may be of interest.

In the time I've been here It seems most are trying to get a motorized bike together. Some post of motorbike burnout. So, what's to do ???

In my sketch book of ideas I'm trying to figure out if I could build a side car that could fold out like a tent camper to take care of the riders basic overnight needs. I've also considered a side car kit what would house a laptop, cameras & cam corders, mic's, and so forth to cover events in my area like speed boat races etc. (as I live on the Ohio River) I see the big RV's the TV stations have and I'm betting a motor bike with side car could carry some smaller equippment to field to cover these stories too and host them in a web site. Possibly get into a better position to watch the event too. Down the river from me the County Draft Horse & Mule Club has
plow meets (like tractor pull's) and it never gets any coverage. I'd like to build my bike project to where I could do some of these things and upload the video, photos & podcast to UTube and then email the link to the local TV stations or CNN. But the side car could hold tools & spare parts as well that would be necessary to work on the bike in case of a breakdown.

I would encourage those of the board to keep a small pocket size notebook and pen with them to jot down ideas when they see things that intrigue them.
Even if it's something you see on TV, or in a magazine at a library. Write down the name of the magazine, date, and issue (that's called a "citation")
so you can find it again or tell someone else about it.

But for all of us to be conscious of these things will put the cool things closer to our finger tips. I really feel for some of these young kids I see who are in single parent households where Mom is the only parent. If she reasons "Johny" only needs a TV, Radio, and Computer with internet connection to keep him amused........then poor Johny. No tools to work on anything with, no support if he wants to. Just Mom's......."well honey that's nice......you can do that when you grow up and you're making your own money". That's just the luck of the draw for some of us, so perhaps the rest of us can encourage them to turn dreams into reality.....and keep their imagination form withering on the vine in childhood.

Last edited: