Free wheel solid axle

GoldenMotor.com

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
I have been looking for months for a solid axle to use with my grubee kit.

Everyone has freewheel kits but no solids in stock. One place gave me bad info and said I needed a freewheel axle kit to go with my grubee which I bought only to discover the truth $150 later (including new HD rim and other misc stuff)

spookytooth put me on the right track with info but they too were out of stock in the solid axle.

Anyways after 2 months wait I came up with a solution to convert a freewheel axle to solid.

I soldered the brass bearing piece that screws on the axle that bolts to the sprocket.

Heated it up with blowtorch, used flux core plumbing solder to weld it solid.

Now off to Matthews bikes in Indy for a respoking and nice heavy duty alum rim.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I thought there was only 3 kinds:
fixed gear axle = peddals always turn when bike is moving
freewheel axle = peddals turn wheel when peddaling,but you can coast without peddals moving.
coaster brake axle = same as freewheel except when you go to back peddal it applies the brakes

billj324

Feb 14, 2010
A dark place.
Ok, I bought a kit that had this in it. There is a two-fold problem with mine.
1. When putting the freewheel bearing on the axle, it requires a spacer - else it will tighten up against the spokes (which will cause breakage). I don't know what I am going to use as a spacer for mine yet - I think I am going to find a pipe with a large enough inner diameter to clear the axel and cut it to act like a washer.

2. I can't install my old gear casset. The threading on this axle does not match. I am off to Bicas here in town to see if they have one lying around that will fit it.

I have had my kit for a few months now, and haven't fired it up just because of this. blah.

Ok, so, as it turns out, the old hub I switched out had a non-standard casset in it. I just went down to the local bike shop and sifted through a bins and found one that works well for me. as for the spacer, I made some myself from old CDROMs I dremilled out to the size washer i needed. good luck!

Last edited:

Don206

Jul 17, 2009
seattle
ok everyone. i got a freewheel.hd grube setup and the freewheel adapter pongs broke and it spoon the freewheel adapter on the treads, making a freewheel useless, to much tork. and ya cant weld steel to alumium, im out 150 dollors. ---should of got a real bike and leave the lil toys alone, (not rich)