Moped Parts Being Used? What Works What DOESN'T?

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I'm always thinking ( OCD'ing), about new ways for using parts from all types of motorized vehicles!

Will any moped parts work for motorizing a bicycle? I think so some parts many of us have already used, such as moped hubs/wheels, moped gas tanks, moped lights, moped engines maybe I don't know if anyone here in the forum per say has used a moped engine yet.

When I say moped engine I'm speaking of the Pedal Moped type not a Scooter type, the Moped's of yesteryear were Puchs, Sachs, Honda PA50's, just name a few which came with built in pedals in the engines, they were of both the 2-stroke & 4-stroke variety!

If you've found or used any type of moped parts for your motorized bicycle builds please share them here in this thread, as I'm sure many others will also try and use the same or similar part on their build.

Here's a couple of pic's of my favorite Mopeds/Moped Engines/Motorized Mountain Bicycles all of these are 4-stroke horizontal Honda cloned crf50 style engines one has built in pedals and the other is the Extreme Motorized Mountain Bicycle Moped that has custom a made pedal crank mounted on a chinese cloned pitbike/dirtbike of the CRF50 style with mountain bicycle wheels, brakes & front forks scavenged off a mountain bicycle:

Again let me ask any of you to please share you experience's with you using Moped parts for or on a Motorized Bicycle. Thanks.

Peace Crazy Horse.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I have a pa50 honda a punch and a tfi moped and would never take then apart.I also have a lot of parts-motors,wheels tanks etc. might just try it this winter.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here's a Honda crf 50cc pitbike/dirtbike cloned moped 4-stroke engine it's currently being mounted in chinese made mopeds, and yes these are Real 4-Stroke Mopeds With Pedals!

This engine is bare bones no pedals, intake, carb, cdi, wiring hareness all will have to be added:

If you look closely you'll see a lil red tipped lever above drive sprocket this is where you switch between pedal power & engine power.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Will any moped parts work for motorizing a bicycle? I think so some parts many of us have already used, such as moped hubs/wheels, moped gas tanks, moped lights, moped engines maybe I don't know if anyone here in the forum per say has used a moped engine yet.

When I say moped engine I'm speaking of the Pedal Moped type not a Scooter type, the Moped's of yesteryear were Puchs, Sachs, Honda PA50's, just name a few which came with built in pedals in the engines, they were of both the 2-stroke & 4-stroke variety!

If you've found or used any type of moped parts for your motorized bicycle builds please share them here in this thread, as I'm sure many others will also try and use the same or similar part on their build.

If anyone has information of Moped Parts & Supplies ie Vintage / Classic Moped Parts suppliers or retailers.

We have one here in Maryland its called.
The Moped Junkyard .com
( a division of Continental Cycles of Ocean City)
7203 Coastal Hwy.
Ocean City, Maryland 21842 USA

Some of the parts they sell are for the following Mopeds:

TOMOS A3 (Bullet/Silver-Golden Bullet)
TOMOS A35(Sprint/Targa/Colibri)
TOMOS A55
PUCH MAXI
SACHS
GARELLI
BATAVUS
MOTOBECANE

Many moped parts can be used on motorized bicycles what have you used?

Peace Crazy Horse.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Of course, these "pins" are a invention made in ****. a lot of old bicycles in europe use them, it makes me sick sometimes. to remove them, you get at best a flamethrower to heat up the crank and then hit the "pins" with a big hammer. It works mostly....
by the way, when you use a moped-engine think about bigger brakes to built in. i found out, the normal rear-bicycle-hubs are to small for the enginepower, so i used a rear moped-hub with great success.
on this picture you see left a Fichtel & Sachs bicycle-hub and right a moped-hub. they are made in the same time (around 1955). the moped-hub is a little greater and wider then the other, but is fits into the most frames. It should also work in your frames....and the best : the sprockets are screwed on, and not bolt on with screwes and nuts into the spokes....

improved me when I write incomprehensible^^

Thomas

Attachments

Last edited:

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
There have been a couple total-custom motorized bicycle builds that used moped wheels and hubs. In particular, a few people have used moped or motorcycle hubs for the rear wheel, since that is the one that gets the strain from the engine power. Moped hubs are built stronger than bicycle hubs overall--thicker axles, bigger bearings and better brakes are there too.

-------

If I was going to do this, I think I would just go buy a Tomos moped complete (they cost around $800 or so last I saw) get it licensed and registered, and then modify away until it was whatever I wanted. That way you get the whole engine, drivetrain, hubs, lights, ect. It might not be 100% legal to use bicycle rims and tires on one,,,, but if there's no inspection, they're probably never going to find out anyway.

To convert to using bicycle rims and tires you just need to get a moped with wire-spoke wheels that are 36-spoke, which isn't that difficult.
~

Last edited:

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
No, its not a problem to get moped-hubs for 36 spokes, the most mopeds of the 1950's have 26" rims and 36 holes. You can even use whole wheels of the mopeds, but you need a frame and a fork that is a little wider than a regular bicycleframe. I used in this case a diamond shaped frame of a "Ballonrad", a 26" bike with balloontires made in the 1930's. I have not tried it yet, but i think a beachcruiser frame fits too....

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The front drum brake wheel on my motorbike is a moped wheel. The heavier wheel adds a lot of stability at speed.

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
pedals work fine im also using a moped gas cap .....Im sure theres all sorts of parts like the exaust or engine kits that can be used if you smart enough.....

this web site wont let me posts links to anything so i will have to take a few pics and post them later

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Mopeds are a great source for parts. I've use moped tanks (with cap and valve), controls (twist throttle with levers and stoplight switch), suspension forks (26" wheels fit without the fender), brake hubs laced into bicycle wheels, headlights, speedos, seats and pedals. I even used a Motobecan variator clutch on one motorbike. I had to modify all three circuits for use on a slower turning four stroke. Lots of good stuff on a moped.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Mopeds are a great source for parts. I've use moped tanks (with cap and valve), controls (twist throttle with levers and stoplight switch), suspension forks (26" wheels fit without the fender), brake hubs laced into bicycle wheels, headlights, speedos, seats and pedals. I even used a Motobecan variator clutch on one motorbike. I had to modify all three circuits for use on a slower turning four stroke. Lots of good stuff on a moped.
msrfan, your post is fantastic and shows just what can be done with little ingenuity, that is using parts from & for Mopeds on our motor assisted bicycles thereby making them in some ways perform better both functionally and giving them better performance.

msrfan, if you could share pictures of parts & components you've used on your motor assisted bicycles that would visibly show others just how those parts are used and what works.

If you could post links of where these parts can be sourced / found that would be another plus for other builders wanting to use such parts and components.

Thanks for your post!

Peace Crazy Horse.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Here's some of my motorbikes with moped parts. Both use moped front brake hubs. The red bike has a moped seat and hand controls. The yellow bike uses a complete moped fork assembly, headlight-speedo, and tank. The bike with the Motobecane variator clutch is not shown. I will get some photos later. These bikes have given me years of service. They will go well over 40mph and always start right up and run great. Thanks for allowing me to share, as I admire every motorbike I have seen on this forum. It's an excellent hobby and very rewarding. It never stops evolving into different ideas and concepts.