bike trailer

GoldenMotor.com

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i really like the sidecars and ideas with the side car, im going to be working on taking a walmart bike trailer, and ripping off all the cloth, and trying to set it up so that it will be 1. more rugged, the walmart style trailer has plastic rims with rubber tires, building the trailernot the frame out of wood to hual stuff, and to set up some kind of seat for the kids to ride in. my kids love going for rides in the trailer as it is, but due to excessive wear they cant ride in it any more. any ideas would be greatfully appreciated. I am going to be replacing the plastic rims with 20 inch rims off of a few 20 inch bikes i have kicking around, as i get started, ill start taking pictures. i am waiting till i find the items that i would like to work with. this trailer is going to be built for well under a hundred dollars, and cant wait to be able to start showing it off. the picture is of the trailer as it sits right now. i havent started tearing it apart yet as for the fact im still using to haul stuff around, but when the time comes ill take pictures of the whole project so that you all may see the trasformation so to speak

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I hear you on the fabric wearing out,,,
my granddaughters have worn out the second trailer now :(
I averaged about 6000 miles for each tho :)
lots of smiles per mile (^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, is this going to be a sidecar? I'll be interested in seeing how you join it to the bike. One wheel or two? I'm planning to convert an instep into a sidecar with one wheel, but am waiting for somebody smart to do it first so I don't have to think real hard and can just copy. Hurry up so I can do mine. Ha!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
cogswelln, don't know if you saw my sidecar on here but I have an idea how you can built a cheap sidecar frame and I'm sure that we can find a way to mount it.

Do you have use of a welder or have someone who does welding? Have a bolt together idea but the mount to the bike might need welding.
Would like to see the underside of the trailer. How do they mount the axle to the frame?

Steve.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
im not going to use it as a side car, im going to keep it a trailer 2 wheeled, i just need to rebuil it so it doesnt have the crappy cloth, and it will be more solid. ill take pictures of the underneath of the trailer in the next couple days, but to try to describe it is the wheels have a rod that go through the side of the frame and a r-key type lock. its is kind of crappy design but it was a cheap trailer from walmart. i dont want to do the side car thing yet for fear of handling issues. but i have seen several post on the side cars and genuinely like the work i have seen.
@silver besr. im not quite ready to try the side car out yet.

@fast eddy, i dont have a welder, but a local place will do any welding i need for the labor fees, but i might be able to use my friends or my uncles depending on their work schedule. right now im still waiting to find the type of wood i want to use.

the trailer is going to be set up for two different ways, one way will be cargo, the other way will have a removeable seat so i can take one of my children with me.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
that would be funny as ****, and quite the photo oppurtunity, had i the resources to build multiple trailers i would definately try it out... ive been lolin since i read that post. well off on the search for parts and usefull peices

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well the time has come for the start of the rebuild for the tired little trailer, so far the cloth is off removed completely, and the frame has been primed. ill be posting pictures later afrter i work on it for a little while. Remember this is not professional at all im a jack of all trades master of none. But the trailer will be built as cargo, still trying to figure out how im going to attach a seat for my kids to ride, but that will come after i finish building it.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
thanks to fabian for helping with some ideas. sorry if i missspelled the name. I have started redoing my trailer here are some of the pics. the wood is just scrap wood that i had laying around the trailer will be heavier but also stronger. it has not been painted yet, and is still not done, but i am working on that, just waiting for the drill to charge up again damn battery op drills. well back to work for me

Attachments

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Well its finally ready to roll, these pics are of it just after i finished painting. for a mad from scrap wood trailer i think it will work well for hauling stuff(which i do a lot for some odd reason...) it is only finished for now, i will be making a removable cover for it but that will be when i really get ambitous.
It is on the heavier side which i will be lightening it up soon. I havent hooked it up to the bike yet so no pics of it with the bike, ill be wondering it if handles any different the way the trailer was before it handled very well. If i packed it top heavy it would tip over if i took a turn to sharp. Thanx to a friend i have an idea to hook up independent suspension for the trailer wheels, something i am definitely considering.

so ty B, and F

Attachments

Last edited:

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
ok now that i have taken it around a little bit i have noticed a couple things first my son loves it but it seems to bounce to easily when i hit bumps with it. Sooooo with it built like this no kids, but good for hauling stuff, not for high speeds havent tried going wot with it yet, but i have the trailer to carry stuff so as i have the need to haul something i will give it a try. Pictures of it attached to the bike coming soon