Story of my life

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Wow.just when you think you have most of the bugs out something like this happens.
[/IMG]
Anyone else have a frame snap like that.It's a large tube and a new bike at that.In hindsight I know exactly when it happened.I was running down a smooth road at about 20 MPH and it felt like the chain skipped.I checked the chain and everything seemed OK but I could feel a strange vibration in the peddles.Rode it about 4 miles home.Actually rode pretty good considering.Can it be welded you think.Then again a new frame alone may not be too high.Sucks either way.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Re: Storry of my life

If anyone can edit my spelling of "story" in the thread title,please do.Driving me crazy.lol.Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

That is one clean break :eek: Weld it up you should be okay, be sure to check the rest of your bike for crack's.

It broke behind the weld, I'd have to say a flaw in the metal and such a clean break. Look's like someone took a saw and cut it. Are you sure nobody is P/O at you rotfl

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.

The frame is a Micargi Rover.Fairracing isn't that one in your avitar.I'm sure it,s the only one to ever snap like that.Jeez,Ron

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've only seen a frame break on a cruiser type bike at the seatpost/small curved tubes from too much weight and too many bumps. That doesn't look like a break as much as it does a defective assembly. Look at the end of the tube and see how much is new break and how much was not put together right and painted over.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
My Specialized Rockhopper broke in the same spot, but under harsh conditions... 30yds of continuous 2ft ledges 3/4 wheelbase apart, called "Devil's Staircase". Frame replaced under warranty.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I'd just weld it up and then maybe a weld a couple of finger patches. One at the top and one at the bottom................................

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
The brake isn't as clean as it appears in the photo and is not a point of assembly.I've spent enough time staring at it with disbelief.Heck this is as good of an excuse as any to buy a welder.I'm not too far from a Harbor freight.What would be the cheapest welder suitable to the task.I would definitely practice on some scrap.Any help is welcome.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
"I'd just weld it up and then maybe a weld a couple of finger patches"
I thought while I was at it I would weld a small plate into the corner as a brace,like you see on some old frames.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Fairracing:
Yep,that the frame in question.One thing I liked about it was that the thick tubes looked sturdy.I'm sure mine had some abnormal defect.I've only had it less than 4 Months.Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm going on year five and over 4,000 mile's. I thought I had a crack at the chain stays where it goes into the bottom bracket ( I think that's what they call it) But after sanding down the paint thier is nothing thier. Must have been something in the paint that looked like a crack.

The welder I got at HF was a Chicago Electric 90amp model #44567

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
That is just way to clean of a cut, I think. No signs of stress...and shouldn't the metal look even a "bit" twisted. No way...someone's messing with you...looks like they literally want to see you get hurt.

Not sure how much the bike is worth, but if you truly think the metal just fatigued, I'd scrap it and start over. Can you imagine catastrophic frame failure at 20mph???

Hope you're at least wearing a helmet. :)

Don't mean to sound like "Gloom and Doom" but man, that aint funny, and you can get hurt or killed. Be safe, man.

Mark

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If he could ride it 4 miles with it broken right there and the bike stayed together I don't think I would worry about the rest of the bike to much. But like Joe said a bright light and a magnifier sure wouldn't hurt..........................

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I'm pretty certain it wasn't sabotage.The only one with access to my bike would be my ole lady.You don't think she could be upset that I spend all my time in the barn working on a motorbike while our house is falling down around us?
Anyway,the house paint fund was just invested in a welder.Cheap paint=Cheap welder Harbor Freight 90 amp.
I,m sure I'll be seeking advice and may revive the welding thread.Thanks for all the advice,Ron