1911 Flying Merkel single build.

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well All righty then! Its FINALLY time to start a build thread on this beastie. Long long ago, I made a trade for this frame forks and tank with truckd. He got a Westfield / Pope made Shapley frame and forks. He ended up getting the short end of the stick as it turned out the forks were a bit bent. Not proud of that, but it was still a nice frame and all. This one has been laying about in my garrage for quite a while but about a month ago I dug it out with all the bits and took it and a build stand over to my friend Bob's shop. He's a paint and body man with ALL the tools and skills I need to do something like this properly. I had been assembling parts for this one for well over a year. Just a bit here and there. I traded Bob partial value in a Chinese "Pre Ban" AK-47 I had in the safe, to cover the labor and shop consumables. The motor I've had for a VERY long time indeed. It was originally going on the Pope build but I decided I wanted the flathead for that one. What I have is a Honda GX100 that I will eventually "vintagify" ( Its a word because I say so ) Worksman Industrial wheels, a Sturmey Archer 90mm front drum hub, and some spare custom bits I bought from Dan Orabona way back when for just in case I ever needed em reasons. Glad I did now cuz I don't think he's making bits or bikes anymore. ENOUGH TALK ! PICTURES! First un is what Im hopeing to have in the end.
Flying-Merkel-1911 single bigger.jpg

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
We started by adding a bunch of gussets and braceing to the frame as this could be a 40 MPH bike in the end. I didn't want the chain and seat stays or the front end buckeling with my weight on it at those speeds. I also wanted to use an internal throttle like the original and so had a 1" bar fabricated. this will match to a Nash "sticky throttle" Possably the WORST name for a throttle ever. but there is a reason. apparently it has a sort of cruise control built into it. I got the bottom bracket bits from http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wi...r_clearing_4_stroke_motors68mm_bottom_bracket second kit down. My intent is to make a quill or cassette style gear reduction, sort of / kind of like Sportcarpat makes for his flyers.
FM 1.jpg
FM2.2.jpg
FM3.jpg
FM4.1.jpg
FM5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisDuke

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Having disassembled the Worksman wheels for eventual powdercoat of the rims I had no wheels for the build /test process. SO I had to buy some Husky wheels to make the test fitting process easier. At the end of the build I'll sell em, as this should be my last internal combustion build. The Quill stem is a nice old bit I found on my favorite source for vintage bike bits. eBay is your friend :) Its lucky I'm putting tires on this bike because the drop loop is a bit DEEP! The Continental retroriders in 26X2.1 give just enough ground clearance, but may end up getting replaced with Quick Bricks, which are a bit taller when checked side by side against the ones on my Felt Twin build. The original rear dropouts were front facing Electra style. No good... Luck was with me when on a whim YEARS ago I bought some custom replacement dropouts with built in adjusters, to fix a problem like this when I was thinking about doing an Electra build; from Dan O. Bob welded the crap out of them and we both had a try grinding them into submission so they look nice.
FM6.jpg
FM7.jpg
FM8.jpg
FM9.jpg
FM5.5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yup! Ghona need a skid plate! laff Actually, on the ground WITH the tires on its not all that bad. It will get over speed bumps anyways.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
"vintagify", derived from vintagizing I would assume, or to vintagize? I've been using the term regularly since you coined the term building your flathead. This build is looking awesome.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Harold. Yes; it started with the first flathead. I'll be doing less emulating this time though... Vision is starting to go.laff

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Vintagetrification from the Latin simpliticus tomfoolicate meaning? Hmmm where did old Father Benedict wonder off to just when I need him?

Super start on the faux Merkel! I do like your choice of power & look forward to how you'll fill up the loop. I'm signed on & know you'll finish up with a wonderful classic board tracker. Rick C.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
FM10.1.jpg
FM11.1.jpg
FM12.jpg
FM14.jpg
FM15.jpg
Here's Bob doing some trimming / welding and cleanup on the backbone to seat stays bit. Also prep work brazing the front and functional gas spigot. Another fake one for the "oil" fill will go further back on the tank.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Now for the brazing of the other ports. Big un without side support is the fake oil fill, On the bottom I have 3 small ones for 1/4 brass pipe fittings, one for the internal tank vent which will be plumbed in with the lint from the "oil" transfer spigot and the last one will deliver fuel to the motor. Bottom of the tank will have 2 hand made brass straps with nickle acorn nuts securing it. The holes for straps on the top of the tank will be filled and ground down flat. The upper attachment of tank to frame will be the large oil and gas fill ports brazed to the frame top tube!
FM16.jpg
FM17.jpg
FM18.jpg
FM19.1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
LOTS of cleanup to do on all the brazing but it will look clean in the end. The handle bars by the way are custom mandrel bent 1" copies of a Velo Orange set I got. They were way too narrow for this build AND I wanted an internal throttle which you cant get unless you wanna trust a 40 year old one from a Honda trail 50.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Got little bits of clean up done last week and a bit of work on the motor. Pulled the flywheel for getting the fins taken off on a lathe and eventual re balancing. Don't want it turning into a leg meat grinder if I ever fall off. I THINK I have the reduction drive figured out for it. At least I have a fiendish plan. And the parts for it are arriving already. No new pic's as my phone and computer are no longer speaking to each other. :-|| Don't know who offended who but new pic's are not recognized by the puter anymore. Gonna have to switch to my old camera for photo documentation. This week I hope to finish up the brazing and cleanup and mount the motor. Also have to sort out that internal throttle; and need to get the saddle mounted in a place I can live with it.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WELL POOP! Had all kinds of plans to get stuff done on the FM today BUT all my parts are locked up in Bob's shop and he's home swappin ends in the bathroom with the FLU :-|| Oh well.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
WELL POOP! Had all kinds of plans to get stuff done on the FM today BUT all my parts are locked up in Bob's shop and he's home swappin ends in the bathroom with the FLU :-|| Oh well.
Bummer! I'm willing to bet Bob feels worse about it. Home with the flu myself and having a real good time.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Managed to get into the shop today and do some little bits to the build. Bob still feels like he's been pulled through a keyhole sideways but he opened his shop today anyways...Not much done today. Spent most of my time at ACE Hardware chasing down fittings. Here's some pics with the tank in position. Hand made brass straps and tape holding it in for now till the top fuel / oil bungs get brazed to the top tube. Fab'd up a little bit of metal for the coaster and front drum torque arm stay and had Bob weld em on last week. A long time ago I found a good vet syringe to mod for a oil transfer pump :)
FM1 (2).JPG
FM6.jpg
FM2.JPG
FM3.JPG
FM5.JPG

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Scored some vintigulustic sorta rat traps on the "Bay" and made the reflectors get lost. I think they will work just fine.

Attachments