what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I had the day off, so I visited my credit union five miles away. Then I dropped off some forms at University of Hawaii-West Oahu, about five more miles further away. I rode back to town to buy a battery for my Honda 150 scooter (This will be my alternate commuter).

Upon leaving the shop, the chain snapped. When I repaired it, it was too short. I could not get lower than fourth gear. That was good enough to reach home three miles away. Fourth gear is 21.8:1, fifth is 18.55:1, sixth is 16.36:1, so gearing was more than sufficient to limp home on.drn2

Today, I'll install a rear spoke guard and new chain on my bike. Then I'll also have someone drop me off at Hawaii Ed's house. My scooter is there, so I'll install the new battery and scooter home.xct2

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

started putting the cylinder back together. also mounted the tuned pipe on the chopper. needing to figure out how to route the pipe now, going to run the cylinder backward and working on mating the SBP pipe at the right angle for the copper pipes to go in.

also having some trouble putting the replacement gear back on the crank, goes about half way and gets stuck, probably just need to take the dremel to it again.

matti

May 27, 2011
NJ

Finished welding & installing a new front motor mount on my 2nd build

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

What headset will you use?

I have read some interesting threads about installing 1 1/8" threadless forks on 1" threaded equipped bikes. Some used mixed headsets, some milled out the threads on a 1" steel headset till it fit a 1 1/8 steerer (wow) and used the threadless star-nut and cap system.

RST is the only co. I know of that makes new 1" threaded suspension forks that aren't total trash. They work but are not fancy at all, no damping etc, just springs and grease or oil.

did more work on the chopper bike. managed to cut the head tube down enough to accept a standard threadless fork, would have liked the steer tube to be a tad longer but it'll work. then fabbed up a holder for the gas tank (using one of those camp stove bottles) waiting for the jb weld to dry then to put the motor together and on the bike.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

I know I plug them a lot - but this was super cool.

Ordered my new seals from RawMotors.com and had the option to get free next day air shipping! So it should come in the same day as the new rings and head gasket I ordered last week.

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be back up and running.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

What headset will you use?

I have read some interesting threads about installing 1 1/8" threadless forks on 1" threaded equipped bikes. Some used mixed headsets, some milled out the threads on a 1" steel headset till it fit a 1 1/8 steerer (wow) and used the threadless star-nut and cap system.

RST is the only co. I know of that makes new 1" threaded suspension forks that aren't total trash. They work but are not fancy at all, no damping etc, just springs and grease or oil.
i'm using a 1 1/8" threadless headset. it was a tight fit but it works until i can afford some actual triple tree forks from choppersus.com

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Today I think I fixed the clutch lever for my Skyhawk. The button that holds the clutch in place had come off while I was riding it earlier this week and that left me without a front brake. So I got on the net and looked up a new clutch lever.

After I ordered it I found out that it was from the dreaded boy go fast, but I figured that I might get lucky this time. It turns out that I did and did not at the same time.

When the package arrived from The City of Industry it turns out that this lever was the old style mountain bike lever and that its handle was two small for my handlebar. when I tried to open it up a bit with a screwdriver buy prying the clamp open it just broke into two pieces.

So what I did next was to take the button off the new handle and mount it on my old lever. lucky for me that button was of a better caliber of manufacture than the lever. The button was made of steel and there was a section I could put a die on so I could replace the pop rivet with a nut. I had to make the holes on the old lever match the new button. I did have to go to the store and get a die and some extra nuts of the size I needed. After threading the end of the button and Loctiting the nut in place, I think I now have a clutch that will keep working. (road it to the store and back and it seems to hold up so far) Its hard to believe that all of my work on this bike can be sabotaged by a cheep button.

mike

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

KC, am so glad to read every one is OK and the fire was just stuff. Not that that isn't a big 'ol bummer in it self, but every one is OK.
.... I got this idea for a solar powered heat exhaust/drag in cool air. Is just some ABS pipe. As the sun heats it, it creates a vacuum in the room. The only air available to replace it comes from insulated pipe that is run under ground but sucks in from open air inlet.
I love the way you think Dan, we think a lot a like, but I highlighted the flaw in your design in your quote.
I couldn't even make a tiny hall closet in the middle of the house air tight enough to create a vacuum, and even that is if I never opened the door.
Like you I have hundreds of ideas that look good on paper but just won't work in real life ;-}

The long shop wall with big sliding glass doors faces West with no shade at all, so from Noon on it gets beat with direct sun until ~6PM.
The shop is getting this installed up near the ceiling in the SE corner of the room.
FRYS.com*|*LG
The outside part will ALWAYS be in the shade there, and it's remote controlled ;-}

Reconstruction starts this coming Monday. The contractor and I are on the same the page so I think that 10,000 BTU remote controlled window AC unit installed in the wall will keep me comfortable all summer.

What did I do to MY MB today?

I installed a beverage holder before I started, and then beat the piss out of the bike for ~30 miles in about the most extreme heat conditions you can imagine.

Even though the back rack bag is actually an insulated cooler inside it does not put a beverage in easy reach at a stop light so I found a place to mount it and love it.

I learned some new things as well...

Extreme heat can and will cause problems.
Near as I can tell my new batch of 91 octane gas mixed with Amosoil Saber Pro Synthetic 100:1 mix oil at 75:1 mix still causes the gas in the carb to evaporate at low RPMs.

When I say I was riding hard I mean a mile or two @5500 RPM (35MPH with gears) then stop and go again in 110F temps for 20 miles.

Note I have a Black Skyhawk motor so that may be a factor, but spit shouldn't boil on the carb's float bowl when I stop.

When it cools off I'll pull the NGK BPR7HIX Iridium plug and see if I may be too lean but I don't think that is it. Then again, this is the most extreme I have taken anything I have build and it may very well be the cause.

Any thoughts?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Extreme heat can and will cause problems.
Note I have a Black Skyhawk motor so that may be a factor, but spit shouldn't boil on the carb's float bowl when I stop.
Any thoughts?
Yes. Almost every motorcycle I have worked on that had a flange mount (bolt on) carburetor and manifold, with the exception of the Honda CT70, had a brown or black heat insulator in between the cylinder and intake manifold.
It is there to help prevent heat transfer from the cylinder to the carburetor.
An intake gasket by itself will not block the heat transfer, soooo.....
I am thinking of making one for my little beastie.

Someone on this site posted the name of the material that the heat block is made of. It looks like it is made of fiberglass mesh and brown resin, although it is not.

Edit: I searched for it and all I could find was "phenolic heat insulator", which looks to be the correct material.

Last edited:

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California

replaced the 7 speed rear wheel with a single speed heavy duty spoked coaster brake style wheel. (5 broken spokes was enough reason)

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

today nuffing. yesterday she broke down on me. 1st thought was plug fouled. put a new 1 in. nuffing. switch out the CDI. hit 1 time and quit. so..i pulled the magneto cover off and took it out. i thinks its shot. done ordered a new 1. gotta know i purdy much ride everyday had the motor for almost a year now. 1st part that wore out on its own and i didnt accidently break!lol

chrisvermilyea88

Jun 25, 2011
sandersville ms

I need some help bad my bike wont start up I have a 80cc slant head and what happendwas I was rideing down the road and the bolt for the carb came out and the carb fell off I've took it apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner and put it all back together and put a new bolt in it to hold it om and it still will not crank I even replaced the cdi box thinking it wasn't getting fire idk what else to do please help this is my only transportation to work and all.