Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

Dave S

Oct 26, 2008
west texas
yea Decon my throttle was horrible.I did my throttle, put a set of harley grips on. I used innertube and electical tabe to increase the size. I had to send my engine back cause it had a blown head gasket but when I get it back it should be good. Any idea's for a bike issue I need like a fork lock I have ape hangers and they hit the tank I need to have forks lock so they don't go all the way around. I have pic's but haven't figured out how to post them on here. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
i've gleaned so much from this forum its time i can hopefully give something back! It seems that every bike i mount an engine on to needs to have the carb moved, so the first one i spent hours on welding up a steel manifold. it worked well but took to much time to make it look presentable. However you can get a copper street 45 deg elbow in 5/8". It seems this size (5/8)is used for central air conditioning systems and any good supply house will have them. the stock clamps work fine its a perfect fit on both ends and if you need to make it longer just solder on another piece (or silver solder if your worried about temp) i took some temp readings of the manifold after riding hard for about 10 mins and could not get it over 100 degs so for me regular plumbing solder works just fine. if i can get my camera up ill post a pic. Hope this helps someone out. Thanks guys your great, Joe

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
the other thing i failed to mention was instead of heating and bending exhaust pipes to clear the frame, try cutting a shim using the exhaust manifold as a template, use aluminum flat stock 1/4" thick then after youve drilled the holes and shaped it place it face down on a belt sander and taper it as much as u need to. then reinstall with two gaskets. Joe

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Lots of parts that we want such as extra gas tanks, fuel system parts, etc can be gotten at go kart sites. I have plastic and metal tanks plus components at www.gokartracing.com, there are others out there too. When stumped for parts I usually go search there.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I can see I need to make a check list, or build a assemby note book. There is so many things I want to do on my next build from all the ideas here. I know I will forget a step and as in the past have to duplicate so many steps like pulling the motor out over and over.

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
Here is my tip. When you are installing or reinstalling the shutoff valve on your gas tank use plumbers putty in the threads to seal them. My kit instructions said to use plumbers tape, which is dissolved by gas and the valve leaked like crazy. Since I used plumbers putty, no leaking.
Rog

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Here's my tip. When I put the engine in my frame, the carb wouldn't fit with the stock intake manifold. So I cut the original manifold and mounted the carb. It still barely fit but the airfilter wouldn't and I had an air leak. I bought a second manifold from Thatsdax.com and cut the flange off. Then I took a piece of rubber hose, two hose clamps and used it to connect the two cut up manifolds. Because the manifold I bought from Dax still had a bend in it, I was able to turn it so that it stuck out of the side of the frame. Now everything fits and there's no air leak. Here's a pic:

mod.JPG

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
Here's a tip:

Wear a helmet.

That's a result of getting my Cannondale F2 29er back from the bike shop after having it in for the free service.

Took it out in the street in front of the house and was going through the gears.

Shifted into the 3rd chainring on the front and the chain bound up.

I ate asphalt at ~25MPH. Knew I was going down.

Tucked my arms and tried to roll.

My head apparently stopped me from rolling. rotfl

I "woke up" sitting on the curb with the paramedics asking me my name and how old I was.

"Jason, how old are you?"

"Too old for this chit."

After an ambulance ride, a CAT scan, four staples to the head, and watching the girl that put the staples in almost pass out after doing so ( rotfl ), I can say that, without a doubt...

...you should always wear a helmet.

Even if you're just checking something out after working on it.

Even if you normally ride at speeds over 25MPH in the woods on the trails and think "What could go wrong on the street?"

Doctor said that I was lucky - could've killed me. It actually cracked my skull.

"A lot of people wouldn't have lived"

So I guess that makes four times now that I should've been dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
dude that really sucks, my girlfreind is an Emt and she says you are unbelievably lucky the paramedics weren't cleaning your sesos off the ashpalt

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
Dude. I almost puked.

Wear a helmet.
That's kind of the response I was going for.

If seeing that pic will persuade someone to wear a helmet...it's worth it.

Oh, there's only three staples in the pic. She stapled four times though.

I've been messed up in the military before and this is the first time I've used the term excruciating in reference to pain.

I broke into a sweat when she flushed it with solution.

After she finished flushing it she went right into..

"OK, we're going to give you staples now."

"Whoa , whoa, whoa. Let me recover from that. You plan on numbing me at all?"

"No, we can't." and started to place the stapler to my head

I stopped her... "Wait a minute. You plan on stapling my head while I'm sitting up?"

"Yeah."

"Do me a favor and put your finger where the first staple is going."

She did.

"Now, press on my head."

Had her do that at each spot where a staple was going in.

After that I stood up, disconnected all the monitoring equipment that was on me, and asked her to lay the bed flat.

"Why?"

"Just work with me here"

She got the bed flat, I laid down and hooked my feet at one end, grabbed the other end with my hand and told her "Do what you've gotta do."

She got nervous.

First staple didn't go in right so she hit it again.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I'm getting staples in my head. Why are you shaking?" rotfl

She popped the other two in, I got up, and she bolted out of the room.

Didn't see her again the entire time I was there. rotfl

What's funny about the whole situation is that my wife was (and still is) deployed to Afghanistan. While I was laying on the bed in the ER waiting to go get the CAT scan she called!

She asked me "What'd you do today?"

"Nothing much, just worked on the tile in the bathroom and picked my bike up from the shop."

"What are you doing now?"

"Nothing much. Sitting here watching the news."

So we chatted for about five minutes before they came in and said it was time for the CAT scan.

Told her I had to go, that the guy helping me with the tile in the bathroom needed help.

A week later she came to the States for two weeks on leave. She saw the strawberry on my forearm near the elbow...in the airport.

"What'd you do to your arm?"

I pointed..."Same thing I did to my head."

She slapped the crap out of me. Hit me HARD on the arm. rotfl

"What'd you do to your HEAD!"

"Mountain bike."

So then I had to explain the whole thing to her and tell her the story.

She's due back in about 3 weeks and insists that I don't hurt myself before she gets back "I want you to be 100% when I get back this time."

Funny stuff.

Bunch of my buddies had fun making motivational type posters.

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
fuuuuu uh uh udge. Good reminder especialy if your on a new bike that's still buggy. I've always worn a helmet on my motorcycles, just so I can give the wife peace of mind. Bikes are slower but....not really designed for engines, so a helmet is a must.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
My head has been stitched up a lot. It's true that they can't give any pain medication that would mask the effects of a concussion. But they can use topical analgesics.

At least they always did on me. No aspirin or aspirin substitutes and definitely nothing stronger. But squirt-on numbing agents, yes. Maybe she was a little inexperienced? Early in her internship.

But if they weren't supposed to do that . . . maybe that's what's wrong with my head.

I've got more than 70 stitches in my head over 60+ years. But none from not wearing a helmet. The earliest I remember was about 5 years old. Hanging from my knees trying to tie a rope in a tree to make a swing. Over a sidewalk. Take that back. Maybe I shoulda had a helmet on. :(

Why did they shave your whole head? They never did that to me. ;)

Ted