Clutch won't disengage

GoldenMotor.com

biglew62

Jul 31, 2009
Portland, OR
I can't get the clutch to disengage. I just installed a GRUBBEE 80cc Skyfire motor kit on my bike and during the whole installation I couldn't turn my back wheel b/c the clutch will not release. I just thought that's how these motors worked, but after reading through some of the posts, it seems like the clutch should be disengage while you are installing the motor. Is this how its supposed to be? I think that the metal ball may be stuck...any ideas on how to get it unstuck? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

biglew62

Jul 31, 2009
Portland, OR
just figured it out...i guess each engine needs to be broken in when you get it, so i set it all up with the chain in, got on the bike and pushed down as hard as i could...the engine turned over and the clutch was then operable...hopefully this helps someone if they have the same problem

Lamebiker10

Aug 30, 2009
NH
I cant get my Clutch to disengage.. I push the arm in as far as it will go and try to turn the tire but i can hear the pistons moving and it wont go to neutral. What can i do to fix this?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I cant get my Clutch to disengage.. I push the arm in as far as it will go and try to turn the tire but i can hear the pistons moving and it wont go to neutral. What can i do to fix this?
Lame,
If you're sure you have the cable adjusted tight enough you can try the old hammer method. Remove the clutch actuator cover, left side, and you'll find the engine sprocket. In the center of the sprocket, protruding about 1/4" is a steel pin. Give that pin a rap with a hammer. Don't go crazy, just a good solid hit. See if this doesn't free up the stuck friction pads of the clutch. Many engines have this problem. The clutch pads are stuck from the factory and require a slight tap with a hammer to free them. Also while you have the cover removed you'll want to assure proper lubrication of the pin, cam and ball bearing, the parts that comprise the clutch actuator.
Tom

Cartersy

Feb 19, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Lame,
If you're sure you have the cable adjusted tight enough you can try the old hammer method. Remove the clutch actuator cover, left side, and you'll find the engine sprocket. In the center of the sprocket, protruding about 1/4" is a steel pin. Give that pin a rap with a hammer. Don't go crazy, just a good solid hit. See if this doesn't free up the stuck friction pads of the clutch. Many engines have this problem. The clutch pads are stuck from the factory and require a slight tap with a hammer to free them. Also while you have the cover removed you'll want to assure proper lubrication of the pin, cam and ball bearing, the parts that comprise the clutch actuator.
Tom
Old info that seems a little crazy at first, but worked like a dream for me with the clucth problem. Thanks alot 2Door brnot

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Old information, maybe so, but do you have any idea that this problem has been a issue...I'll guess since the Chinese started making these engines. Probably will still be a problem right up to they stop building them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron is correct. Stuck clutch friction pads have always been an issue that's caused many new builders a lot of problems. I always suggest the hammer method first because unless the builder has a firm grasp of how the clutch components work and how to adjust it properly, having them attack the flower nut and disassembling the right side can cause more harm that good.
Tom