ultimate wiring diagram

GoldenMotor.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
this diagram was provided by rawmotors.com - homepage left hand collumn.
they also have an excellent tutorial all about clutches.

in the mag, the black wire is screwed into the mag frame and is thereby ground

the 2 killswitch wires COULD be ANY 2 colors. i have seen the yellow wire shown have a thin red verticle stripe or a red wire with a thin yellow stripe.
i had one build with a lavender wire and a red wire COMMING OUT OF THE MAG. lol ----inside the mag the colors were correct but they had pigtailed the other 2 colors..... you just had to apply the lavender into the black set the red into blue set. love those chineese.
note the white wire is capped off and not used.

************** sorry, i cant get the pic size down to 19kb
go to the website to view it

stay dry
gubba

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There is a LOT of topics out there on proper wiring.

A huge symptom of following the china girl kit motor instruction manuals is that of putting the white wire in circuit. Though it can work - a common symptom is that the magneto will drain it's juice into the spark and just give you a low idle when you hit the kill switch instead of actually grounding it out.

The most important thing to remember is to fold back or cap off your white wire unless you plan to adventure in accessory lighting (in which case, keep your wire cap handy for when you're done with the multimeter and you just want to ride).

Basically, all you have to do is match your CDI wires up to the engine wires. If only one matches - match that, and assume the others match (not white, leaves one). Your kill switch can go anywhere (except white), as that just redirects everything into the ground (frame). Don't worry which wires from the kill switch you're using, as they're just two wires with a push button switch in between.

If you don't have a good ground, you can run into issues down the road, so always check for oxidation, especially after winter and rainy seasons.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Instead of relying on an external ground wire, just wire the kill switch to the blue and black from the mag to CDI. The black wire is a ground, attached to the magneto coil. This way you don't have to worry about scraping off paint or being concerned with rust or dirt at your ground connection. There is really no reason to have an extra ground. One is already provided for you via the black wire. The bike frame plays no role in the engine's ignition system.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Just got done dropping in a new CDI - wired it up with the kill switch between the leads off the CDI and mag. Works great, and the new CDI is kickin pretty well too.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
each of you are absolutly correct.
its the nubies mainly that say "my friend said to use the white wire".
a nice diagram is very helpful for them to actually see it.
i just cut mine short.

stay dry
gubba

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Since we all agree that the white wire plays no part in the ignition wiring, why have a diagram that shows its use as 'optional'?
Remove any mention of the white wire as being a possible candidate for use with the ignition system.
Ignition Electrical Diagram.jpg
Ignition Electrical Diagram alt color .jpg

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
some really cool stuff, instructions wish i got some with my kit. lol. Thanks guys you have all helped with this forum

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Since we all agree that the white wire plays no part in the ignition wiring, why have a diagram that shows its use as 'optional'?
Remove any mention of the white wire as being a possible candidate for use with the ignition system.
View attachment 36030
View attachment 36029
Because in spite of the evidence to the contrary there are still those out there who maintain that the white wire to ground is the way to kill the engine. The diagram gives the newbie the option of doing it either way. Just covering all the bases, Rohmell.
Offering both methods mollifies the opposing faction.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The easiest way is to substitute a new one.
Totally agree. The chances of getting two bad CDIs are so high as to be a non issue. Yes there are ways to check the ignition module but just swapping it out with a new one is the quickest and most sure fire way to tell if that is your problem. Having and carrying a spare is cheap insurance.
Tom