49cc engines require driver's license

GoldenMotor.com

chipmonger

Jul 31, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
My first post included a link..so probably can't be viewed. Sorry...
I recently completed building and an operating a 49cc motorized bike on a spookytooth frame.
I have installed an 8" front disc brake, centrifical transmission and a C-clamp -style rear hub sprocket.
I get a lot of attention and am considering producing this machine for adult commuters. Recently I added a medium highrise handlebar with dual rearview mirrors. I have now attracted attention I did not want.
I was cited in Mesa, Arizona for driving a "moped" w/o a driver's license, registration, or insurance. Court date: August 12.. need assistance before then. Anyone knowing a willing attorney in these matters, please respond.
Also, I am considering milling the head of my 49cc 4-stroke engine, to comply with the 48cc law to get me back into compliance with the law. Will that work in court? Any input is welcome. I intend to pursue this issue into higher courts if necessary on behalf of a motorized bike enthusiasts. I expect, especially in this new economy, that there will soon be thousands of these machines on our roadways, not just for sport, but as a means of necessary transporttion.

Thank you..
Chipmonger

TYFOON

Jun 15, 2010
bend, or
Good luck Amigo~!

Keeps us posted on your preceedings!

The very reason you describe is why I left my bike as "stock cruiser" looking as possible. Basically to avoid attention at all because of the attention I did NOT want.

Foon

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i went through something similar in california, except we don't have a cc restriction, in fact, you can have anything under 150cc's otherwise it's considered a motorcycle.

california law states that any motorized bicyle requires a M1 (motorcycle) or M2 (moped/scooter) license, registration and a license plate, DOT helmet, and some lights, mirror and horn.

i was cited for not wearing a DOT helmet (had a pro-tec on) and not having a license or the plate. the ticket was $394 bucks.

i got a helmet, got an M2 permit, and sent in the 19 bucks and got the bike registered. when i went to court, the judge fined me a $25 proof fee for each violation, so $75 total. that's it.

if you try and fight it, the only evidence i can see standing up in court would be to have a licensed motorcycle shop measure the displacement of your motor, document it, and then hope the judge accepts it.

i think the best option is to leave your bike as it is, heck, upgrade it to a 66cc, then come into compliance with all the other laws, and go to court, show proof, and hope for the best.

trying to change the law is next to impossible. pleading ignorance or trying to cheat it is difficult, and almost never works in your favor, leaving you angry and feeling like the man's trying to keep you down, when in reality, it's your fault. you're breaking the law. sure, the law sucks, but what else is there, anarchy? like the Dead Kennedy's sang, "anarchy sounds good to me, but who's gonna fix the sewers..."

ya shoulda told him you had a 48cc motor when you got pulled over. those little metal tags and stickers come right off...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was cited in Mesa, Arizona for driving a "moped" w/o a driver's license, registration, or insurance. Court date: August 12.. need assistance before then. Anyone knowing a willing attorney in these matters, please respond.
Also, I am considering milling the head of my 49cc 4-stroke engine, to comply with the 48cc law to get me back into compliance with the law.
What 4 stroke engine do you have?

What kit or gearbox?

The Honda GX50 and the Chinese copy have a one piece head and cylinder.

Did you tell the cop it was 49 cc?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum chipmonger, glad you joined us.

Man sorry to hear about your trouble. But yes what motor do you have? The reason we ask is because it may not be a "true" 49 or 50cc. They usually round up when it comes to engine size.

And also, did you tell the officer it was 49cc? I would also contact Roland at Spookytoothcycles.com tell him you was referred by fairracing31. He can put you in touch with the right people to help you in court. Also he is very knowledgeable with dealing with the courts and can give you some great advice.

If you told the officer it was a 49cc...I dont think you have much luck on your side. If you did not and can prove it is 48cc or less you might be okay. Changing it now from 49 to 48cc will not matter because it is after the fact.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You are legal in AZ IF you were doing 20mph or less, without a drivers license/tag/insurance, if you are 16 or older.
Once you exceed 20mph, you are a motorcycle in AZ.
If you were observing the 20mph speed limit, print out the the appropriate AZ statutes and fight it in court. The legal section of this forum has plenty posts on AZ.
Good luck.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You are legal in AZ IF you were doing 20mph or less, without a drivers license/tag/insurance, if you are 16 or older.
If you were observing the 20mph speed limit, print out the the appropriate AZ statutes and fight it in court. The legal section of this forum has plenty posts on AZ.
Good luck.
The Arizona law also says that the motor has to be 48 cc or less.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/02516.htm

ARIZONA HB 2796

START_STATUTE
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
END_STATUTE
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i think the best option is to leave your bike as it is, heck, upgrade it to a 66cc, then come into compliance with all the other laws, and go to court, show proof, and hope for the best.

ya shoulda told him you had a 48cc motor when you got pulled over. those little metal tags and stickers come right off...
His motor is probably a HuaSheng 4 stroke which is 49.4 cc

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Also, I am considering milling the head of my 49cc 4-stroke engine, to comply with the 48cc law to get me back into compliance with the law. Will that work in court? Any input is welcome. I intend to pursue this issue into higher courts if necessary on behalf of a motorized bike enthusiasts. I expect, especially in this new economy, that there will soon be thousands of these machines on our roadways, not just for sport, but as a means of necessary transporttion.

Thank you..
Chipmonger
The size of an engine is bore x stroke

Milling the head will not change the cc's of your engine.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can get inexpensive metal stamping kits at harbor freight. You can stamp "48cc" or less on your engine somewhere.
I don't know of an easy way of reducing engine displacement. I haven't picked up a Hotrod magazine in a while, but I believe you would need a de-stroked crankshaft or cylinder sleeve with a smaller piston. The stock car racers must have some tricks for accomplishing that.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
He had a court date on Aug 12th, anyone know what happened?

I recently completed building and an operating a 49cc motorized bike on a spookytooth frame.
I have installed an 8" front disc brake, centrifical transmission and a C-clamp -style rear hub sprocket.
I get a lot of attention and am considering producing this machine for adult commuters. Recently I added a medium highrise handlebar with dual rearview mirrors. I have now attracted attention I did not want.

Thank you..
Chipmonger

jen1brooks

Aug 26, 2010
Spokane WA
Good luck.
Hello .... I live in WA. Just got ANOTHER ticket for driving on suspended while riding my motorized bike (49cc). I thought I was doing the right thing by not driving a car. I know there are loopholes in the law regarding these bikes, but I really need a good one to get out of this ticket.
Somebody PLEASE help.
Thank you

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Oh no, not another one post wonder...Chip happens

Thank you..
Chipmonger

Davido

Dec 21, 2010
vancouver Island
Where does it state under law that a bicyclist needs a drivers license. Under law there are laws for bicycles and if it has solid unremovable pedals it is a bicycle even with power assist. You still have to follow the safety rules of the roadways and all bicycle laws. You could of filed a full disclosure document asking what law states a pedal bicycle with power assist falls under automobile road laws. Especially, if your bike can't even safely reach incity speed limit. That's my take even if they keep ticketing me. 1st was driving a unregister motor vehicle, 2nd driving with invalid drivers license, 3rd was for driving without insurance. I was originally gonna fight for my rights of passage on my bicycle. Wasted my time worrying the police made a no show.