Snork

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm in Britain, can I import some of this "sun" you speak of?
We have an abundance of Sun, you are welcome to all you want.

The forecast is for our first 100F day of the year today.
It's a fluke and will be down to mid 80's in a couple days, but as far as Sun goes, help yourself ;-}

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Wiggie! I'll send you some. I have a rather large box I can stuff full today. Not a cloud to be seen and 100F in a few hours. You just pay shipping to old Blighty. $250 should do it. I take PayPal...laff

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wiggie! I'll send you some. I have a rather large box I can stuff full today. Not a cloud to be seen and 100F in a few hours. You just pay shipping to old Blighty. $250 should do it. I take PayPal...laff
We can do that like we do with giant floating funnel that dumps the rain not needed where it floods into our water supply, we just do Sun with giant floating mirrors ;-}

Wouldn't that be cool if we really could do that?

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, as Fall approaches in a couple days the Monsoon has been fun, the morning low in the low 80's to high 70'sF, and the 110+F days are gone.
It's not hot to me until it hits 110F, I have real AC ;-}

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I've been ill and unable to work. but am now proudly delivering pizzas at night.

Kinda fascinating. The people, kids and pets. Years back, we had a plumbing biz. I always knew when the check was good by the pets and kids.

Dunno how to esplain this Lusy, but it is the same deal. knock on a door and if the kids and dawg/cat are happy. ya just know it is a happy home.

My cat, at present, is on his back on the bed and the dawg the is splayed on the floor.

Life is good

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've been ill and unable to work. but am now proudly delivering pizzas at night.

Kinda fascinating. The people, kids and pets. Years back, we had a plumbing biz. I always knew when the check was good by the pets and kids.

Dunno how to esplain this Lusy, but it is the same deal. knock on a door and if the kids and dawg/cat are happy. ya just know it is a happy home.

Life is good
Good to hear Dan, love to hear it.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I been looking for work, but recently I was working (not paid) on my motor bike. I saw a woman on a bike. She was trying to stop the bike from falling over and a kid also in a seat on the bike. It was down on the ground and she lifted it back up as I asked if she needed help.

A moment later she kept trying to turn the handle bars and she kept looking at the front wheel.

I said maybe I can help. I found that the front brake cable was making two turns around the neck leaving no way you could turn to steer. Who assembled it this way.... geese?

In a pinch I took off the cable where the noodle is and then took the screw out of one side of the brake caliper. Then un-threaded the cable from its ungainly contortion around the neck as well as tide in knots almost with the rear cable and shifter cable.

I said no charge, but the woman was so pleased. I mentioned don't get on a bicycle if something does not seem right. Was concerned about the kid. Kid had a helmet though.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
MT that's a good one and you're going to laugh at mine. I had a similar thing when a neighbor flagged me down. He's just someone I say hi to once in a while and has chatted about my bike. Anyway he says please can you look at my bike, it's all screwed up and I don't have a clue how to fix it. I said sure, I can look at it for you.

So I take a look and, same as yours, the cables are all twisted around, brakes almost locked up and no steering. I start my brain up and trying to figure it out. I'm mentally sorting out which tools I will need when the light bulb goes on and I say firmly "Okay, stand back and watch the magic".

I straddle the bike and start some fake chanting. His eyes are getting bigger and looking at me like I'm a nut and how can he get away from me. So with a big flourishing gesture I spin the handlebars 360 degrees. Voila, bike is fixed. Somehow while bringing the bike outside he managed to spin the handlebars once around without noticing.

I was lucky because I was already in fix mode and ready to get the tools.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
As I think about it now and the topology of knots, it may have been the handle bars had been spun around. So I may have spent a little extra time undoing it the more careful way. But even with the two spins around the neck, I also saw it wrapped around at least one other cable. I like to have the largest radius curve possible so I was sure to do that without loosening the cable clamp. Removing the screw to the boss holding down one half with a brake shoe is easy. Some have that thread lock goop, but it comes apart.

I've been real fast at removing the cable this way as you'll see. It is I need to pack my non-road bike (OHV Legal Only) in my truck and so every time I do egress I am taking and swapping handle bars. The ones that are for the motor bike with both brake cables, throttle, & kill switch just stays with bungees attached to the bike tucked out of the way temporarily.

I do this as the other handle bars are ape hangers and are useful for transport so I don't put out a window. It acts as a wedge in place arrangement. For safety I have just the front brake lever and cable on the ape hanger handle bars and use the front brake to assist when it comes down a ramp. 130lbs and with the new Honda pegs and my adapter bracket to make them level and true, I think another 7lbs will be added to that when I'm done.

I also today had a passerby need a patch on a tube. The guy had been walking a long while and a significant other was riding her bike slowly next to him walking. Afterward he gave me 5 bucks. I was going to refuse, but relented;)

Mostly it took time away from getting the 2nd adapter bracket I was making, but I should have it all finished to go trail riding soon.

Pics of the way I have been getting jigged up (sort of), holding parts at just the right angle before welding all together. A snipped piece of thin sheet metal welded with just a few spots on one half and then position and weld the tab of thin mental on the other half. This thin sheet metal can actually have compound angles bent in it to a small degree and hold in place. Then the edges of the bracket parts almost 1/4 inch thick are also just test small weld.

Check again for alignment and if a go, weld up complete. Otherwise, I'm not too far behind, I break out the die grinder and nudge the thin metal into place. Grinding and flap disk sander on the angle grinder and no one ever knew that the stuff was even there. Power tools!

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=652588#post652588

Got It Pegged Thread

Attachments

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like your method. I will use it. I've played the good Samaritan a few times since I carry tools on every ride. It sounds like you and I were brought up in the same era.

I shudder to think how things will be when the selfie generation is the majority.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I like your method. I will use it. I've played the good Samaritan a few times since I carry tools on every ride. It sounds like you and I were brought up in the same era.

I shudder to think how things will be when the selfie generation is the majority.

There will be a 'tipping' point to where skilled craftsmen will earn more than the techies.

Sometimes, the truth is funnier than fiction!

zpt

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

May you have a "dryer sheet" kinda day!!

(People don't find you shocking, you smell good, and **** don't stick to you!)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The city wants clean air and everywhere else is encouraging electric transport; this is sheer stupidity that needs eradicating and replacing by a strategy and good sound rules.