I think I'm gonna build a new bike.......

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
As a matter of fact, I just know I'm gonna do it. I've already started, for that matter. And since I hope to accomplish something unusual I'll go ahead and do a build thread.

I'm going to follow the lead of Intrepid Wheelwoman. She's been working on a 'faux Rudge'. The moment that thread appeared I had the urge to do something similar.

So I've chosen this bike to be the one that I'm paying tribute to.
1940 Victoria.jpg

It's a 1940 Victoria. I'm only aware of this bike through the good graces of Ludwig II and his wonderful threads with photos of vintage motorbikes.

I don't stand a chance of copying that bike. Not even single components. But I hope to come up with something that gives the same 'aura'.

My last bike was a single speed with coaster brake. I appreciated the extra braking power (coaster plus two rim brakes), but I missed having gears on the pedal drive. I think I've come up with a solution. This bike will have gears and a derrailleur. And it will have double rim brakes on each wheel.

I'll have dual-pull brake levers for each hand. Each dual pull will operate one brake on the front and one brake on the rear.

Mounting double brakes took some simple mods.
Front double brake.jpg
Front double brake 2.jpg
Rear double brake 01.jpg
Rear double brake 02.jpg

The 'trailing' rear brake might be a bit soft because of the torque from the wheel added to it's long mount. I'm not too worried since I ride these bikes pretty gently. But hot-rodders be warned: this set-up might not handle real stress all that well.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm already changing specs, though. I'm having second thoughts about the double brake system. I'm pretty confident that I can make it work. But I'm craving certainty.

So this morning I ordered a new front wheel from Husky Bicycles. 26x2.12, 11 gauge spokes and drum brake.

I'm already waiting on my rear wheel. Ordered last week. 26x2.125. I had to settle for 12 gauge spokes in order to get a freewheel type hub. But 12 gauge is good enough.

I think I'll set it up so that my right hand controls the front drum plus one rear brake. The left hand will control the V-brake up front and the other rear brake. Since the left hand can be busy with the clutch, that side is clearly the supplemental brakes.

But that'll all come a bit later. I painted the fenders last night. So this week I'll work on getting them plus cargo racks mounted.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Worksman has the drum brake wheel with freewheel and 11g...I bought one for my whizzer a while back. Let's see those fenders!
The girder fork is cool....I'm making one like it soon for a martin roadrunner copy I'm doing

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
My rear wheel has arrived. I bought two of them, actually, since they're only $29 from Husky Bicycle. This way when the first one gets out of true, then I'll slap the second one on and start truing the first one.

I put the first one on the truing stand and then found that my spoke wrenches are not large enough for the nipples on 12 ga. spokes. No matter, for the time being, since the wheel is almost perfectly true. But I guess I'd better get a larger spoke wrench.

For anyone who's interested, this is a pretty cheap and useful truing stand. I've forgotten how much I paid for the dial caliper. It must have been twenty years ago. But it wasn't much. For the accuracy that we need in this application, bargain basement stuff is good enough. The rest of the materials were practically no-cost.

One advantage of this design is that you can 'stress' the spokes while the wheel is still in the stand.

New rear wheel on truing stand.jpg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The tires I ordered for this bicycle arrived today.
New rear wheel and studded tire.jpg

I suppose ice season could be over by the time I get this bike up and really running. But that's okay. These tires can wait until next winter.

Further progress today. I got the rear cargo rack and fender installed. Not quite completely. There's still a few places I want to add bolts for a bit more strength. But my wife's trying to get to sleep, so I'll knock off the drilling and hacksawing for tonight.

I also still have to build the outer frame that mounts onto the rack and actually holds onto my duffel bag. But that's a small matter. I'll be able to knock it out tomorrow in short order.

After I rest my back a bit I'll be heading back downstairs. I'll disassemble this and paint those struts that hold it all together.
Rear rack and fender 01.jpg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Purty cool, Blue Goat.

Really like your truing concept. Seeing to that degree of accuracy would get you doing far better than "good'nuf" just eyeballing a guide.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
My front wheel arrived today. It's pretty nice.

Drum brake.jpg
Drum brake 02.jpg

And I've got fenders and cargo racks somewhat mounted.

Both front and rear racks need a bit more added. Plus all the painting.

But the overall look of the bike is starting to show.
Fender and rack mock-up 01.jpg
Fender and rack mock-up 02.jpg
Front fender mock-up.jpg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. I think they'll be worthwhile.

On my builds so far I've made do with ordinary, even cheap, wheels. And they can be made to work for a while with care.

But I've had the feeling that wheel upgrading might be one of the best things we can do to make our bikes strong and stable.

I'm about to find out.

That rear wheel was certainly inexpensive enough. The front, on the other hand,..........well........it's a bit painful. Over a hundred bucks. I think it was $125 or so after shipping.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yep. I got my wheels from Husky.

But if there was a rear wheel with freewheel plus drum brake on that site, then I missed it. But I'd better have another look. That could be useful on a future bike.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
At last! Evidence I am a Bad Influence!

"It's a 1940 Victoria. I'm only aware of this bike through the good graces of Ludwig II and his wonderful threads with photos of vintage motorbikes."

I have corrupted myself, the Cooper & Ludwig Mk2 is going to look like something from the early 1930s, and the Mk1 isn't done yet.