how long do kevlar drive belts last?

GoldenMotor.com

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Can anyone tell me how long kevlar drive belts last? I am considering buying a belt driven system--49cc motor--but I am afraid I will wind up buying belts every month.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I don't think you have to worry about that they run them in cars for timming belts last a long time............Curt

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Sorry I never answered this--I think I was waiting for an email notice on this thread and as far as I know I never got one. Anyway, I have a 32cc 4 stroke engine from Golden eagle. I am having a problem--belt slips more frequently than I'd like.So I figure that is wearing the belt. Does anyone have a solution for a slipping belt?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sorry I never answered this--I think I was waiting for an email notice on this thread and as far as I know I never got one. Anyway, I have a 32cc 4 stroke engine from Golden eagle. I am having a problem--belt slips more frequently than I'd like.So I figure that is wearing the belt. Does anyone have a solution for a slipping belt?
Adjust belt tension maybe....

Not sure what the set up looks like so not sure how to answer this question other than adjust the belt tighter if possible.

Map

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
I would send a photo of my set up but I notice that jpeg download can only contain 500 kb--I don't have anything that small.
I will take your advice and see if I can't adjust the tension on the belt.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If you have a windows based computer, load the pic to my pictures and then right click on pic when drop down appears click edit, pic should pop up in windows paint program, on tool bar click resize, in pop down type in 35 in place of the 100% and click ok pic will be sized down and now clisk save and now it should be small enough to upload to forum.

If you dont have a windows based computer I dont know what you can do.... sorry

Map

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The GEBE system uses toothed belts and toothed pulleys. If the belt is slipping it is either very loose and the teeth are jumping past each other or prior operation with the belt tension set too loose has damaged the teeth of the belt and/ or the teeth of the pulleys.
Kevlar belts are very durable. The life of the belt really depends on how you ride the bike.
Do you pedal from a stop before engaging the engine? Doing so will extend the life of the belt.
Do you frequently check and adjust the belt tension?
Too loose and it will slip. Too tight and belt and wheel bearing/ transmission bearing wear be accelerated.
Do you ride in very dusty or sandy conditions?
The grit that unavoidably will get in between the belt and pulleys will accelerate wear on both.
According to GEBE expect at least a year of life out of the belt when ridden frequently under "normal" conditions.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Mapbike. I will try that.

Thanks. Gearnut. I don't ride in dust. I do pedal before I touch the throttle. I find that the only way I can avoid the slippage is to tighten the nut that holds the tensioner arm in place. The instructions say not to tighten it, hut if I don't make it dead tight, it slips gradually and with that the belt starts slipping too.