Honda GXH50 hp

GoldenMotor.com

ilkeeper

Dec 2, 2008
il
I was wondering if anyone could tell me, if the Honda gxh50 has 2.1 hp at 7000 rpm, what would the rpm be if I used a governor to have it at 5000 rpm?

I am trying to find a way to make it have 2.0 hp or just under.

Thanks...

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I would think you'd be safe @ 6000 rpm. Does your dmv dyno mb's or something? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's 2.1hp @ the crank and not @ the rear wheel in which case your probably fine w/o a limiter. The trans/drive train should scrub off some of those ponies!.boogy1a

ilkeeper

Dec 2, 2008
il
They don't dyno that I know of, It's just that we are not allowed more than 2 brake horse power here in Illinois. Just trying to stay legal, can't afford to invest that kind of money, then have the police tell me I can't ride it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Technically, that motor is no good for that law. Doesn't matter what you have it governed to, the motor is rated at 2.1 bhp.

Brake horsepower
Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc.

This means that it doesn't matter about the gears or anything, unfortunately.

Does the motor say 2.1hp on it anywhere? If not, you're probably fine. Even if it does, you're probably ok unless you get stopped by a grumpy cop...2.1 is awfully close to 2. but still....

If it doesn't say 2.1hp on it, you're fine. if it does and you're worried, find a way to take it off without it looking like you just straight up took it off.

ilkeeper

Dec 2, 2008
il
Does the motor say 2.1hp on it anywhere? If not, you're probably fine. Even if it does, you're probably ok unless you get stopped by a grumpy cop...2.1 is awfully close to 2. but still....

If it doesn't say 2.1hp on it, you're fine. if it does and you're worried, find a way to take it off without it looking like you just straight up took it off.
I'm not sure if it says on it or not, I've tried looking at pictures of it but can't make out the writing. If anyone knows could you let me know?

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
In Cali, its 2hp and under 50cc. Im thinking of getting the GX50 eventually also. Although the cc's are actually 49cc on the Honda, the sticker on the fan cover says GX50. Im planning on just taking the sticker off and cleaning the area with acetone, then try ordering a GX35 sticker or just have a cheap sticker made.

Tell them you work for greenpeace or the sierra club and that you get 150MPG, they might have a heart for you.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Technically, that motor is no good for that law. Doesn't matter what you have it governed to, the motor is rated at 2.1 bhp.

Brake horsepower
Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc.

This means that it doesn't matter about the gears or anything, unfortunately.

Thanks Jason. I always wondered What brake horsepower was or how to measure it.