100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks for clearing that up

I've been running Echo powerblend at 24-32:1 and was thinking about testing it at 50:1

If it runs significantly better I am thinking about moving on up to Opti2
I use that at 50:1, next to Opti2, In my opinion is the next best stuff you can get.
Very highly rated oil, rated amongst the best.

ECHO Power Blend Oil exceeds ISO-LEGD and JASO M345/FD requirements.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for clearing that up

I've been running Echo powerblend at 24-32:1 and was thinking about testing it at 50:1

If it runs significantly better I am thinking about moving on up to Opti2
Make sure your oil manufacturer recommends a 50:1 mix. Reducing oil content/ratio is okay as long as the oil is meant to be used that way. I say this because of a question I remember being posted some time ago by a new builder who asked if he could run Wally World 2 stroke oil at 100:1. I wouldn't want to try that. :)

Tom

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
Make sure your oil manufacturer recommends a 50:1 mix. Reducing oil content/ratio is okay as long as the oil is meant to be used that way. I say this because of a question I remember being posted some time ago by a new builder who asked if he could run Wally World 2 stroke oil at 100:1. I wouldn't want to try that. :)

Tom
Yeah, it's rated for 50:1.

But I figured I'd be cautious as I was breaking in the engine

I think she's broke in by now

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
I am Tired of all this nonsense! Everybody's experience are e valid. No argument.

BUT! Everybody has HEARD of AMSOIL. Their polymer based lubricants are labeled for TURBO JET Engines, they have my respect.

Amsoil's 2-stroke lubricant, SABRE, is without peer. At $11.00 a quart, at 100:1 will last a year before new refill is needed.

Last time I posted on this forum My bike was just broke in. That was moren' a year ago. Then I started Sabre at 100:1 and the bike has been powerful, QUIET, and functional without defect day after day. Muffler shows no need for replacement,no smoke, the bike is dependable daily transportation.

Doan buy no steenking 4 oz. bottles of Sabre at $5.00 a bottle. Buy the quart!

yodar

Mar 31, 2013
RI
hi folks, noob to the hobby and the site and i just wanted to thank you all for your input, ...it's taken me 2 days to read through this thread and all i can say is i ordered me some Opti 2 from Amazon last night.

peace, bozo

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
If you chosea POLY-OLEFIN SYNTHTIC OIL you are not a BOZO

However I offer a money saving suggestion.

I tired of paying $5 for four Oz of Amsoil SABRE synthetic 2-stroke oil (100:1 needs only 1/36 oz/gal)

I went to ACE hardware where it is a stock item in quarts at $11 a QUART while NAPA 4 oz SaBer is $5 for 4 ounces.

That would be $20 a quart.

ACE's Amsoil Sabre at quart prices is quite a savings and I have premeasured aliquots in nice little 3 oz bottles from the pharmacy in my bike's tool bag and keep big quart bottle inside house

yodar

Mar 31, 2013
RI
If you chosea POLY-OLEFIN SYNTHTIC OIL you are not a BOZO

However I offer a money saving suggestion.

I tired of paying $5 for four Oz of Amsoil SABRE synthetic 2-stroke oil (100:1 needs only 1/36 oz/gal)

I went to ACE hardware where it is a stock item in quarts at $11 a QUART while NAPA 4 oz SaBer is $5 for 4 ounces.

That would be $20 a quart.

ACE's Amsoil Sabre at quart prices is quite a savings and I have premeasured aliquots in nice little 3 oz bottles from the pharmacy in my bike's tool bag and keep big quart bottle inside house

yodar

thanks man, and yeah, i use 'bozo' as a name to remind myself to stay humble, i naturally tend toward arrogance so i need to keep my ego in check, lol.

...and thanks for the tip on the oil but i already ordered a 12oz bottle of the Opti II from Amazon, ...12oz's for $12.99, delivered.

Interlube International 12Oz 2 Cyc Oil 21224 Small Engine Oil

peace, bozo

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I made the switch to Opti-2 100:1 mix and my bike run significantly smoother! Haven't noticed an increase in "performance"....just that overall it runs a lot smoother.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I made the switch to Opti-2 100:1 mix and my bike run significantly smoother! Haven't noticed an increase in "performance"....just that overall it runs a lot smoother.
Let us know how things are going, Mike. Watch your mix. Typically the less oil you use the richer your fuel to air mix gets. Give it few miles and report back. Your spark plug might go to shades of grey insted of the normal brown colors usually associated with reading them. All of mine are a middle of the road grey running Opti-2.

Tom

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
i want to re-iterate some things people said about saber earlier - its great oil! Im not running it at 100-1 but plan to lean my bike out from 40-1 to 70-1 eventually. super slippery and like $11 for a quart at treatland. -MOTO.wee.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I've found Redline leaves reddish carbon deposits so it doesn't hurt to blow the motor out with a little water or Sea Foam cleaner or ATF (prolly the best on a smoker) to get the buildup out. We use seafoam or ATF on rotary engines running premix to get the red stuff out that eventually causes scoring wear inside.

I think all two stroke oils do it to an extent, and synthetics are better about buildup but it still happens somewhat. It can close up your squish ring and cause hot spots, so a smoky top end cleanout isn't a bad thing once in a while depending on use.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
instead of blowing it out with water or whatever, it's simple.enough to pull the head and clean the combustion chamber with a scotchbrite pad and some carb cleaner.

opti 2 usually doesn't load up the chamber, exhaust port or the top of the piston very much.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well, some of the people haven't upgraded studs or whatnot and HT's are prone to stripping, so a spray bottle with some atf in it into the intake will blow a lot of carbon out if allowed to sit in the combustion chamber for 10 minutes then started and brapped.

Of course the idea behind 100:1 oils is to avoid this cleaning for as long as possible.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I Love tearing my motors down often,,so I run castor oil @ 32:1,,I don't

see much smoke,,but it smells good :)

I should experiment and come up with a synthetic castor oil blend.

Good times :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Well, some of the people haven't upgraded studs or whatnot and HT's are prone to stripping, so a spray bottle with some atf in it into the intake will blow a lot of carbon out if allowed to sit in the combustion chamber for 10 minutes then started and brapped.

Of course the idea behind 100:1 oils is to avoid this cleaning for as long as possible.
right. i've pulled motors apart after 6 months or so and there's very little build-up with opti 2.

i've also pulled motors apart after 2 weeks of someone running 24:1 bargain brand oil and it's burnt on like roofing tar.

side note, i don't run opti2 in my race bikes anymore.

i went through a period of blowing holes in pistons and melting the chrome off cylinder walls, which was due to a combination of things, like the carb and expansion chamber not being in tune with each other, and i found that lucas or klotz at 24:1 is more forgiving.

plus the smoke burns the eyes of the guy behind me... :)

these motors never get run at low rpm and get torn down after a race, so build-up isn't a problem.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
That opti 2 is FANNNNTASSTIC!!!!!!! i just got 2 more bottles yesterday...i also had to set them straight ( cough cough) lets not go there . i do wht i do and im doin it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I use 100:1 Opti-2 on my Tanaka 47R. The best price for me was a 4-liter container, purchased locally. That'll last for almost 13,000 miles.dance1