New guy with questions

GoldenMotor.com

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hi all,
I'm new to the Motor Bike world and I'm just starting my first build. I found a fairly nice condition Columbia Rambler for $60 at my local flea market and would like to make a nice vintage cruiser with the Chinese engine kit I just purchased.

My first question is: With the curved downtube of the Columbia frame the engine doesn't cradle into the lower section because the gap is too wide so I guess I need to somehow extend my mounts to fit the frame. What is the best way to do this? I'm thinking I should use the forward mount as is and extend the rear mount? Are there any threads that have dealt with this topic?

Next question is: Can I replace the existing dry rotted 26X1.75 tires with new 26X2.125 tires without changing rims? I understand there may be clearance issues with the fender or frame but my concern is whether I need wider rims too.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I get into it. Sorry if these are easily answered or previously covered topics but I've been looking around on the forum and haven't found the right answers.

Here's a picture of my Rambler. What do you think?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Here's some reading for you regarding engine mounting in bikes with oversized or curved downtubes. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6427
As for as tires and rims; there's no reason new tires won't work on your rims as long as the rims are in good shape, not rusted and are true. If they need new spokes or truing your local bike shop can help you or there are many tutorials available to help you do it yourself.
Good luck, have fun.

Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Welcome Meccanica!

That is a very nice looking bike, it should make for a pretty easy and good looking build.

I ran into a similar issue with mounting a China Girl on my Schwinn. I went with a welded front mount, made from the mounting flange provided with the kit and an old piece of 1" seatpost. A local muffler shop welded it together for me for $20. I have a thread on it here: Cost to weld front motor mount?