new member; this is a great forum

GoldenMotor.com

PaulK

Feb 27, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. I've recently bought and installed a 4-stroke engine kit onto an older Raleigh bike I rebuilt. I have a lot of experience as a bike mechanic and I love wheel building. Nothing gets me more excited than talking about sturmey-archer hubs to people who don't want to listen.

I'm going to upload more pictures of this, but here it is closer to completion.

The engine kit:
search "speeddemondotca 4-stroke engine kit" and you'll see the seller in alberta i ordered from.

The wheels:
Front:
-Sturmey-Archer XL-FDD 90mm drum brake hub dynamo (3W 6V)
-dt swiss revolution 14/17g spokes
-WTB SX24 36h disc-specific rims
-gold anodized 7000- series aluminum spoke nipples (not in this pic)
-schwalbe durano hs-399 26"x1.10 tyres

Rear:
-flip-flop track hub
-17t freewheel
-same spokes (even length, believe it or not), nipples, rims, tubes & tyres
->Once I get a bit more experience with motorized drivetrains and jackshafts I'll be trying to use a Sturmey-Archer X-RD5 or XL-RD5 hub to have gearing.

The frame & fork
-An 80's gold supercycle (back when they were not garbage) lugged steel frame, made in england and imported by canadian tire corp.

Other bits:
-chrome high rise handlebars
-chrome fenders
-a Wrights leather saddle I found, restored and love
-high output LEDs on the front and rear powered by the front dynamo

Overall, it's aesthetically everything I was going for, I really love how those old school whizzers look and wanted to make something similar.

Unfortunately I've run into so many roadblocks in getting it to run properly, chiefly due to a bent axle and garbage freewheel that came on the transmission as well as the god awful chain tensioner that came with it (every problem has resulted in the chain falling off which could potentially rip every spoke off on that wheel). On a couple trial runs i got it motoring along so damn fast, now that I have a taste of what it feels like it's the only thing keeping me sane as I keep working through new problems.

I'd really like to thank all the people who contribute stuff they've done to this forum, I've found so much useful information here that it amazes me. You are a very clever and useful lot of people!!

-Paul

Attachments