Hi! New with raw 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

Xeducatex

Aug 28, 2011
Garden grove/ fountain valley
Hey everybody. Just traded a videogame chair for a huffy beach cruiser with a raw motors 80cc kit. Apparently the guy crashed on it so the front rim is totaled and the forks are bent but other than that is seems like a good deal. I wasn't able to actually run the engine as there was no fuel and no front tire but I popped it on the back wheel and pushed it to see if the engine would turn and it did. Sounds like it wanted to start. The p.o. Left it outside for 6 months after he crashed it so there's some wear on the parts that need cleaning. Also there is no muffler or nuts to attach
Does anyone know if nuts come with a new muffler or do u know where I can get replacement nuts?

Anyway Im going to get some two stoke oil tomorrow and put a front wheel on and see if it actually runs. From there I'll order the muffler and buy a 50$ beach cruiser off craigslist and swap the kit. The huffy it's on is a pos to the max.

So ya if anyone knows what I should do about the muffler nuts pls let me know

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome.

The nuts can be found at any hardware store or ask that they be included by whom ever you buy a muffler from. I don't remember the size off hand but some one will know. Or try the search feature above. I'm in CT and the hurricane has knocked out our elec so searching is slow and can't get a link for you.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome.

The nuts can be found at any hardware store or ask that they be included by whom ever you buy a muffler from. I don't remember the size off hand but some one will know. Or try the search feature above. I'm in CT and the hurricane has knocked out our elec so searching is slow and can't get a link for you.

Xeducatex

Aug 28, 2011
also i have discovered the idle screw on my carb is missing and the fuel filter seems to leak bad when i turn the gas on? seems like its just cuz of the cheap filter but idk......................anyone know where i can get a idle screw or can i just put any screw that will fit in there?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
First off Welcome to THE Forum :) These are very minor problems. Find That'sDax for the motor problems. Google the rest for a tire & wheel. Forks also. I advise you check out what you get before you buy it. I Know Dax. He won't lead you wrong. Ask any bike shop if they have used forks in the back. Most do. 20.00 tops. (c)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Check around where you live for bike parts, if you've got a large enough city there will be at least one place that specializes in used bikes. They almost always have the best collection of parts, even if you have to buy a 'parts bike' you'll get it cheaper than some of the places that focus on new bike sales and service.

Xeducatex

Aug 28, 2011
so lemme update.

and just for the record im very wel versed in bike building and looking for bike parts. the reason i asking questions is because i dont know as much about the kit mechanics.

so anyway i fixed the forks and threw on a front rim. then i filled it up with gas but there was a few leaks from the carb and fuel filter. i tightened up the screws on the carb and bought a new fuel filter from auto zone. had to put a new fuel line on also. it still leaks just a drip every 30 seconds or so when fuel is on tho. then i started it up and it ran pretty well. initial acceleration makes some poping noises but i chock that up to not having a muffler on at the moment and the fact there is no idle screw so there is no idle. it just dies if im not giving it gas. it runs strong and has power when i gas it gas tho. i didnt go full throttle tho because honestly it has to much power for me to feel comfotable on with the shotty bike.

current issues are:

no idle screw- idk if i can find just the screw for replacement? can i just use any old screw that threads up?

i need to purchase a exhaust/muffler- no big issue here just need to purchase.

i plan on also buying a hardware kit to replace the shotty hardware but i was wondering if i do so and i take apart the engine will i need to get all new gaskits too? is sealer normally used for the gaskits on the engine?

also because of my carbs slight leaking problem should i think about rebuilding or possibly purchasing a replacement(which would solve my idle screw problem)

these are the questions........who has the answers?

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
Just my $0.02. You can make your own gaskets or buy them from one of the dealers who sells the kits. They do not use a sealer from the factory, but I put a thin layer on mine and it helped with the air leaks. Use good hardware, the stuff that came with the motor is junk and be sure to use loctite and a torque wrench. Buy good fuel line and secure it at all ends with zip ties. That is what I did and there are no leaks. I think a new carb is like $20. I'd buy a new one and save that one for parts.

Xeducatex

Aug 28, 2011
thanks dirt. im def gunna buy a new carb. its only 11 bucks at dax. i do however notice thought that no matter how clean i wipe the tank, there always seems to be a thin layer of oil or gas. its almost like my tank is sweating gas. i assume it must be slowly seeping out of the top when it splashes around. ive only ridden it up and down the driveway basically so i can tell what its like after a good ride.

i also noticed today that i seem to smell a bit of a burning smell when its running. i cant say much yet because there is no exhaust on it so that could be it. also there was some gas spilt on the engine and a bit of wd 40 so it could just be the heat burning that off but we'll see.

ill keep it updated

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
If your tank is too full it can come out the vent. I wouldn't fill it up all the way. The only time I have gas on my tank is when I spill some or when it dribbles off the cap when I remove the cap. I would be interested to know if the smell goes away when you put an exhaust pipe on.