Honda elite scooter engine on a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I have a Honda Elite scooter as well as my gas bike and it occured to me that maybe someone (me?) if it's possible, to mount a honda scooter engine on a bicycle? They come in differant sizes 80, 150, 250cc and they're super reliable (Honda, anyone?). The "Elite" was made from 1985-2007 with little to no changes (that's 22 years with almost no 'improvements' - what a design!)and there's a billion OEM parts available and they're almost just as cheap to pick up as China Girl kits..

We've talked Chinese and some have gone Italian but what about Japanese?
Could you mount a Honda scooter engine on a bicycle?
I think a 250cc engine on a bicycle could finally break the 100MPH barrier that many of us have talked about-

Here's a few from Ebay:
W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45e8b6926bQQitemZ300257022571QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

87 ch150 ch 150 Elite honda scooter engine motor | eBay

W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45fbd967caQQitemZ300578072522QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

HONDA ELITE CH80 CH 80 CRANKCASE ENGINE MOTOR CASE 87 | eBay

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have two piaggio 150cc's. one is a vespa.
i use to take I95 every day.
i once got passed by a a honda helix. he had to be doing 80-85mph & weighed in about 350-400Lbs.
his scoot was like 3 times older than mine & probably cost him a third.
boy, did he look happy.
when people ask me what type of vehicle to get. be it car or scooter. i tell them to go with a with a company that makes engines for everything.
like honda, piaggio, toyota,vw,ect.
it is all about engineering.

there is a lot of good info on how to work with the honda elite/helix engines.
don't let the cc's fool you. there is much more power than a a 60cc china girl. too much power for a bike. unless a complete frame is made.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have an Elite 80. The bicycle frame is not strong enough for the weight. It could be done, but it's just silly. All the mods needed to make it rideable and it would not be a MB it would be a scooter, same thing you started with. (c)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
How much does the Elite 80 engine weigh? Or theElite 50?

Unsure about the reliability of the Elite 50 engine. On the long (20 mile) runs, I see a few on the roadside with engine overheating problems.:-||

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Here it is, looks like someone has already done it and with wonderful pictures from differant angles- this has got to be a fast bike. Bonus: It's legal and reliable.

FullSpeed.com - Martin McKeefery's photos - Honda Elite 80 Scooter Engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hond...6929973QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Pretty easy turn-key operation, just mount to the frame, gear and sproket it- mount a back tire and you're done. If anyone buys this for a build they should keep us all informed of their progress.

Last edited:

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
That's a LOT of weight to strap onto a bicycle!

How much does the whole Honda Elite 80 scooter weigh?
the ENTIRE scooter weighs 165 lbs..not the engine. The engines are standard air cooled *cough* lawn mower-type engines we're basically working with here when we're talking 4-stroke engines of this displacement, 49-80cc and up- how much can they really weigh. Did you look at the above links? He build the bike..

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
QUOTE=Diver;307172]the ENTIRE scooter weighs 165 lbs..not the engine. The engines are standard air cooled *cough* lawn mower-type engines we're basically working with here when we're talking 4-stroke engines of this displacement, 49-80cc and up- how much can they really weigh. Did you look at the above links? He build the bike..[/QUOTE]

Yes, I visited the link. Just two unclear photos and a brief review. Looks like he used the entire back half of the Honda scooter. I'm disappointed that he did not post better pictures, especially a few profiles.
[
The bike must look awfully weird with a 26" front wheel and a 10" rear tire.

If they could adapt even a 20" wheel onto the hub, it'd look more like a normal bicycle.

I'd LOVE to build a bike like that. A 24" rear wheel would be nice. Then the gear ratios would be 'way off.:-||

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Pretty easy turn-key operation said:
I don't think you can change gearing or sprockets. These have a built in CV transmisson, with the wheel mounted right on the transmisson that doubles as the swingarm. That's what makes them heavy .