running so oddly...?

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
ok, so about all that I've changed recently is that I've advanced my ignition timing slightly by filing the smallest bit off of the woodruff, allowing it to go apox 2* advanced.....

now I seem to be having to constantly fiddle with my choke, so I moved my nedle clip down one to give more fuel...little better, but still funky until warm/hot &then runs like a racehorse!?
and the smoke comin frm my exhaust seems much more oily, although my mixture hasnt changed, and my plug appears to be in the "healthy" range...

...could anyone explain the sluggishness, have any suggestions?
OH, AND SHE LIKES TO DIE@ A LIGHT NOW ALTHOUGH i TURNED THE IDLE WAY IN....do I need to move yet another notch down on needle clip?

THANX IN ADVANCE FOR HELP/SUGGESTIONS!

Attachments

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
you may have retarded the timing instead of advancing it. unburnt fuel, which the more smoke indicates can be a result of late ignition timing. could also acount for the change in the state of tune and dieing at idle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Simply filing away material from the woodruff key is not the right way to change ignition timing. How are you confirming that the rotor (magnet) is not moving on the crankahaft. Simply tightening the nut will not keep it where you put it. If the key is now more narrow than the key way it's a good bet your timing is all over the place; advanced and or retarded. You said that the problems started after you worked on the woodruff key. That tells me something. Install a new key and try it. If the issues go away, you've found the problem.
Tom

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Simply filing away material from the woodruff key is not the right way to change ignition timing. How are you confirming that the rotor (magnet) is not moving on the crankahaft. Simply tightening the nut will not keep it where you put it. If the key is now more narrow than the key way it's a good bet your timing is all over the place; advanced and or retarded. You said that the problems started after you worked on the woodruff key. That tells me something. Install a new key and try it. If the issues go away, you've found the problem.
Tom
I was starting to think the same thing, I'd heard of my friend doing this on his dirtbike, but it had a tapered shaft which would allow it to fasten securely...acts fuel starved mostly- but the greezy smoke makes me hesitant to give it more...?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
sounds like you may be mixing too much oil- when it's hot and running it overides the fouling? Might explain the poor idle.

usually it is carburetion- billet intakes work much better than standard intake- I'd try thinning the mixture first- if that doesn't work you can always put more oil back in the tank.

a lot of people drill some extra holes into a stock air cleaner- but it sounds like you are choking down- I at first regulated the fuel a little bit- crudely- with the petcock- but a billet intake ended all my cab and 4-stroking bog down problems- 66 Speed carbs work well too- one or the other, or both- try the cheaper billet first- like $17 now shipped at Pirates