Did I break it?

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I think I did a bad thing. :(
You know how you have to have the clutch disengaged while feeding the drive chain onto the engine sprocket. So, I was pushing the clutch arm towards the engine to keep the clutch disengaged with my left hand while trying to feed the chain onto the sprocket with my right hand. A big POP comes from inside the engine, and now the clutch return spring doesn't work. I can manually engage or disengage the clutch by moving the arm back and forth, but there no longer is any spring tension keeping it engaged. Did I break a spring?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I would take the opposite side cover off and see if maybe the star nut stripped out, or if you can make any adjustments with it. Then possibly if it is broken, contact the seller and explain the situation.....

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
The star nut doesn't seem stripped, as I can still adjust the clutch by turning it. The seller (hi Bob, if you're reading this) says he's never heard of anyone breaking a clutch return spring by doing what I did, but I can't think of any other explanation for what it's doing.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I think I did a bad thing. :(
You know how you have to have the clutch disengaged while feeding the drive chain onto the engine sprocket. So, I was pushing the clutch arm towards the engine to keep the clutch disengaged with my left hand while trying to feed the chain onto the sprocket with my right hand. A big POP comes from inside the engine, and now the clutch return spring doesn't work. I can manually engage or disengage the clutch by moving the arm back and forth, but there no longer is any spring tension keeping it engaged. Did I break a spring?
I added this later WERE YOU TURNING THE ENGINE CLOCKWISE ( THE WAY IT WANTS TO TURN OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE.)

How on earth do you do that while the cover is still on ???

My clutch stops working when I remove the cover.

Spark Plug who removes the spark plug?
I have a Kings Kit Lucky me?
When I need to thread the chain around the small ten tooth sprocket. I use a tire iron to turn the nut attached to the small sprocket to force the engine to turn while guiding the chain with a wire finger saver.
FEED CHAIN FROM THE BOTTOM TURNING CLOCKWISE ONLY.

Perhaps I am too rough LOL!

Last edited:

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I added this later WERE YOU TURNING THE ENGINE CLOCKWISE ( THE WAY IT WANTS TO TURN OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE.)

How on earth do you do that while the cover is still on ???

My clutch stops working when I remove the cover.

Spark Plug who removes the spark plug?
I have a Kings Kit Lucky me?
When I need to thread the chain around the small ten tooth sprocket. I use a tire iron to turn the nut attached to the small sprocket to force the engine to turn while guiding the chain with a wire finger saver.
FEED CHAIN FROM THE BOTTOM TURNING CLOCKWISE ONLY.

Perhaps I am too rough LOL!
Yes, the clutch will not work with the cover removed, but it's not necessary to remove it to feed the chain through. As long as you can disengage the clutch, either by squeezing the lever on the handlebar, or by pushing the arm over, the chain will feed onto the sprocket. I squirt a little WD40 up in there first.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
This makes no sense. I'm just thinking in terms of how a motorcycle clutch works. If the return spring, or springs, are broken, there is no way the clutch would engage. Yet, on this thing, moving the arm back and forth causes the clutch to engage/disengage. Makes no sense. I have discovered that it's possible to ride the bike, and run the engine, without ever disengaging the clutch. As long as you don't come to a complete stop, you're fine. Then, just hit the kill button. When you need to go again, start pedaling and start the engine again. Not ideal, but since no one seems to know how to fix the clutch, I guess it will do.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
inside the engine case where the shaft goes from the clutch to the sprocket there is ONE big spring that is your clutchspring there is one small spring behide the pressure plate of the clutch that sort of helps hold the pressure plate off the clutch pads when the clutch lever is pulled. so ther is only 2 springs on the whole system that big spring is in between the 2 bearing that the mainshaft rides on . I have a post on adjusting the clutch so if you go to the clasic posts you should be able to find out how to adjust the clutch.

go to the classic posts on the second page about the middle of all the posts is motor bicycle clutch or someting like that anyway it should get you going on how to adjust the clutch.
Norman

Last edited:

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Very carefully, take it apart. (be sure you can put it back together)
The problem should be obvious!
This is the classic conundrum (I like that word "conundrum". I use it a lot) Should I just put up with it the way it is, which is usable, but difficult and not saleable condition, or take it apart, hope that I can find the problem, correct it, and reassemble it? By chosing the second option, I'm risking turning something that is somewhat useable into total junk. What to do? :confused:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
This is the classic conundrum (I like that word "conundrum". I use it a lot) Should I just put up with it the way it is, which is usable, but difficult and not saleable condition, or take it apart, hope that I can find the problem, correct it, and reassemble it? By chosing the second option, I'm risking turning something that is somewhat useable into total junk. What to do? :confused:
We learn more from our failures than we do our victory's. Take it apart and fix it , mechanical devices do not fix themselves but they will get worse!! Walter F. P.S. Nobody asked about the M-8 ball bearing behind the clutch rod? Happy Trails & good luck Walter F.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take it apart and fix it. If you take it apart, it will go back together....just lay it all out as it comes apart (making an "exploded view").