4 stroke cruiser with SBP shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice set up...thats what I started out with.What are you running a 9t?What freewheel are you useing 14-28?Nice looking bike.If you havn't already you will want to switch to the 10t solid (non freewheel) output sorocket on the gearbox.Or get that one welded.To many freewheels is not what you want.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Good looking setup :) That looks like a sorta cheap gearbox, how's it holding up? I do like the idea of schwinn, shift kit, and 4 stroke engine. Looks like a super fun ride! I hope you are not taking it up to 42 all the time :)

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Good looking setup :) That looks like a sorta cheap gearbox, how's it holding up? I do like the idea of schwinn, shift kit, and 4 stroke engine. Looks like a super fun ride! I hope you are not taking it up to 42 all the time :)
Beside a noise issue the Stage II or III Grubee Gearbox is very reliable.It needs to be permenently engaged or you will have a problem.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I disagree on the Stage III being "very" reliable in general, even with locked engager. I have a grenaded one in my toolbox and I've read more than a few horror stories on the forums. Some of them might somehow last thousands of miles with varying amounts of work, but some of them just don't live long and might just grenade. The straight-cut gearing system using cheaply cast gears doesn't really lend itself to overall success in it's application.

Anyway, I like OP's build - 4-stroke shifters are pleasant cruisers day to day, from my experience. There's lots of room to improve on that rig, too!

Kline's Kustoms

Feb 13, 2011
Fullerton, CA
I have had the Stage 3 before. I can honestly say that this gearbox is a cast piece of junk! I went through two of them before I decided to change it up. I would say this gearbox is NOT "reliable" at all and would not trust it on a 5 mile ride.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I had the stage II that was replaced after the recall.The new Stage II where probly the one to have cuz everything was redone. I'm sure as production went on from there they got worse and worse.Who knows some people might of bought a recalled gearbox and never new.I know they are no ezm and sorry you guys didn't have good luck with the GB.