Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

GoldenMotor.com

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Those look really nice, but if you want a conventional trike, these are pretty good and cost effective.

Schwinn Meridian beach trike, v-brake front, drum rear $250-300 with basket
Schwinn - S4001KM - Meridian 26" Adult Tricycle | Strollers.com
I thought about that, but I really like the reverse trike recumbents so much better. The cost of the bike has become pretty inconsequential now since the steamification of it runs into some pretty serious coin. It's looking like I'll put something like a $2,800 price tag on this one, maybe $3,500 or more for a recumbent. This doesn't make for a very cheap bike.

Of course, if no one buys the one I'm making now, I won't have to worry about what comes next!

And I'm not going into steam bike production or anything. I just like building stuff more than owning it and if selling one can give me seed money for the next one, that keeps it rolling. This is what I was doing with car projects before my body told me it was time to start working on something smaller!

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
About time for some progress pics!

Here's the setup for supplying steam to the engine. The throttle is a ball valve and then a T splits off the steam to the engine. I need to make a long handle for the valve so it can be adjusted when riding the bike. Ahead of the T is the pressure/temperature gauge. The elbow below the gauge will be replaced with a brass "pigtail" which is a loop in the line that allows the steam to condense before it gets to the gauge.

Here's the LP burner setup. The inner rings are what I came up with to reduce the 6" chimney pipe boiler down to 5" to fit the burner. I had to combine two reducers to get it exactly right. Next, I need to weld on a simple L bracket and bolt in the burner.

What I really need is one good day welding and grinding to get the frame finished. I need to modify the boiler mount a bit, extend the rack behind the seat and build a mount for the mechanical's box on the other side. Oh, and a headlight bracket, too. That's what I should do next, but the weather has been a real mess and I do this work outside.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the whole assembly will be situated about 2" more to the left, right next to the tank. If it warms the water some, all the better as it will run more efficiently that way.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I expect it will work well, but if it doesn't, or you find you don't want to use the steam mechanism after all some day in the future, this bike would still look awesome as a gas bike. Perhaps someone will ask you for plans and duplicate this as a gas bike. I really like the copper tank and white tires on the black wheels.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have been looking this over AGAIN I don't know how many times KOOOOOOOOL.
I was just wondering were did you get your gas tanks bungs from? Brass or steel?

If it comes out as good as the flying machine It will be awesome.......Curt

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
I was just wondering were did you get your gas tanks bungs from? Brass or steel?
Aluminum. They're actually rear end/differential bungs/caps and aren't vented, which means I'll need to add vents to the tanks or drill the caps. I chose these because of the size which works well in the scale I built the tank. I notched the flanges to resist twisting loose since they are epoxied in place.

Here you go: Moroso 85282 Moroso Weld-In Fill Cap

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
I needed to get a "finished" looking mock-up for a juried steampunk show I hope to attend at the end of March. I sure hope I can have it running by then!

Here's the pigtail I was talking about (arrived today). Looks like the plumbing will need to stay where it is to allow room for it.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That is the coolest looking motor bicycle yet. I can't wait to see a youtube or something of it.

I wonder why a mass produced steambike kit hasn't been made yet. I think the engines could be based on the happytimes and use a small wood/coal burning stove for power.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Whoa. That has to be the coolest steampunk thing I've ever seen, as well as the coolest vintage-styled motorbike I've ever seen. You do nice work. I really hope it runs as well as it looks. That would be even cooler still.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Another diversion ...

But our second grandson's first birthday is this Sunday. Yes, I know, a totally age-inappropriate gift. My sons and I collaborated on the hot rod resto. Well, grandson #1 got a flamed firetruck pedal car for his first birthday and he's almost grown into it ...

I had to dig up my old Mack brush and pull some lines. I'm about as rusty as this car is!

Last edited:

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Got the crank back from the machine shop finally. Woo-Hoo - I can put the motor back together! dance1

Flywheel on the left side, drive gear on the right. The parts for the jackshaft are on the way - 3" gear on one end, 2" pulley on the other.

When's the last time you saw one of these? There are some weird parts on this bike.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Jackshaft. Pillow block bearings are more heavy duty than I expected, but hey, at least it looks industrial! I have no idea what amount of reduction this amounts to or how well it will work with whatever RPM and torque the steam engine produces. This is a whole bunch of guess work.

I'm used to that.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
While I'm prepping parts to toss the engine together I took a minute and got out the old Mack brush and dragged a few lines on the flywheel.

Last edited: