Hello! Looking for advice

GoldenMotor.com

Jayden48

Jan 31, 2011
KS
I am thinking about putting together my first bike and thought some feedback would be nice. I'm on a fixed income and was looking for a decent motor and a cheap bike that I can gradually upgrade.

As for the bike, I was looking at the Schwinn Landmark Cruiser, or the Ocean Pacific Beach Cruiser, both offered at the local walmart. For a motor was thinking about the Skyhawk GT5.

On the OP Cruiser, how hard would it be to maybe disable the coaster break and add a front break? Also, would it be possible to add something like a Megarange Speed Cassette to it so that I could put a shiftkit on it later? I really like how cheap it is and the aluminum frame, but if it's going to be too much of a hassle to add a shiftkit later, maybe the Schwinn LC would be a better choice?

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I am thinking about putting together my first bike and thought some feedback would be nice. I'm on a fixed income and was looking for a decent motor and a cheap bike that I can gradually upgrade.

As for the bike, I was looking at the Schwinn Landmark Cruiser, or the Ocean Pacific Beach Cruiser, both offered at the local walmart. For a motor was thinking about the Skyhawk GT5.

On the OP Cruiser, how hard would it be to maybe disable the coaster break and add a front break? Also, would it be possible to add something like a Megarange Speed Cassette to it so that I could put a shiftkit on it later? I really like how cheap it is and the aluminum frame, but if it's going to be too much of a hassle to add a shiftkit later, maybe the Schwinn LC would be a better choice?
I got a walmart schwinn bike and quickly had to upgrade. Get something with heavy 12 gage spokes. Does any one else have anything to say about the Huffy crusers, they look heaver spoked then the schwinn bikes. Good luck on your build and have fun.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Why disable the coaster brake, just add a front and rear caliper brake if you want. Pirate cycles has them. You can never have too much stopping power. I have a Schwinn Landmark and have been towing a Aosom trailer loaded with about 150 pounds of stuff in preparation for a cross country tour this summer. I haven't had any issues yet but will probably upgrade the wheels before long. I also have a Huffy Cranbrook with a 2010 GT5, no problems with it either but I'm a big fan of preventative maintainance.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You maybe want to think about 4G belt would be a lot less tuning problums with a 4 stroke. Just my thoughts. Some have complained about aluminum frams cracking and you got to watch for the right mounts on bigger tube frames....Welcome aboard......Curt

Jayden48

Jan 31, 2011
KS
Thanks for the replies! I considered the Huffy Cranbrook as well. But I thought that since the Landmark already had 7 speeds, it'd be easier to add a shiftkit to later. The 4G would be more than I am willing to spend on a motor, I was really looking for something in the $150 range. Any comments about adding gears for the shiftkit?