planing my first build

GoldenMotor.com

goldmatch45

Sep 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
I would like to use a 66cc Sky Hawk with a shift kit. I would love to hear the disadvantages of the shift kit if any. The hard part is going to be deciding what bike to use.
1 option is a 21speed towine. I love the ride but mounting the motor has some issues. I may try to extend the front derailer hanger and see if that will fix the biggest bump I see on this bulid. The grip shifters will also need to be dealt with.

2nd option is a Cosco bought Motiv. Its a fair bike for the $200 I paid for it a year or two back. It is called a full suspension bike but the rear "shock" is more of a dampener then a real shock. I can see very little if any movement in the rubber shock. Should be OK. Front motor mount will need some help due to the odd shaped front tube. It has grip shifters too.

3 is my Gary Fisher 29er. It's a hardtail and just a great bike. Not sure if I have enough room for the shift kit though.

Well fellows, what do you think? I would love to do all 3 and may one day. But for now which looks like it would be a good first build? Thanks for your input.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Well I think you are gona have trouble with the Gary Fisher Bike. Looks to small for the engine, the spark plugs gona hit the frame.

The 2nd bike is nice, but i think that your best of the three options is the Towine. Looks good and will prob be a fairly easy build (Minus mounting the engine)

goldmatch45

Sep 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
don't you think if I got creative with iron pipe & fittings. I could just slip a > diameter pipe over the hanger tube then reduce back down and extend up as needed? Then secure extension however is best.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If I'm not mistaken Jim at creative eng. doesnt make that mount anymore, there were issues with a few of them breaking so he started making a different type of mounting system that he says works much better.

I'm like the rest as far as the bike is concerned, I think the Townie will be your easiest build, but you will need access to a welder or know someone that can do some metal fabricating for you most likely, I would completely remove the front sprocket shfter and the twist shifter for it as well, and if you go with a shift kit it looks like it will all work on that frame but the engine/ shift kit will mount to the seat bar upright tube and then you will need to build a front mount that will extend out to the front down tube this could be done with only 2 pieces of 1/8" thick X 1.5" X 2.0" flat bar steel and a piece of 1" square tubing, you will have to fabricate a front mount for sure on that bike because I dont think that anyone makes a front mount that will reach as far foward as that bike will require to solidly mount the front of your engine. If you dont have access to the tools or the know how to do this I would tell you to go find you a standard V frame type bike and then mounting the engine will be much easier without all the fabrication needed.

Hope this helps
Shan

Last edited: