What gas is best?

GoldenMotor.com

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I run 93 octane because that's the minimum octane my engine was designed to run. Low compression engines will run fine on regular. When I take my bike to the lake, I buy from the Chevron station there because they have NO ethanol. A non fuel injected engine will run better w/o any alcohol, because ethanol produces less BTU's per pound than gasoline. Alcohol makes for a sorry street fuel but a great racing fuel because it will handle up to 17/1 compression. It will make more power but requires twice the fuel to do it.

I would be more concerned with using high quality synthetic oil than what gas I'm using. The plating on these engines can be destroyed quick with cheap oil.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
The HT motor is designed to be used world wide. In many parts of the world you are lucky if you can get 60 0ctane gas. The higher the octane the slower it burns.

I have a Rotax 503 on my Quicksilver ultralight and it runs best on regular. Again this engine is used world wide and must run on what ever is available safely. If I put premium in it my EGT goes up because the slow burning gas is still burning when it comes out of the exhaust port.

Premium is a waste of money for these engines.

Jim

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
I use 93 octane non oxygenated gas because the alcohol in gasahol will eat rubber seals and parts up, and cause your fuel to degrade over long storage periods. We in Minnesota have a long down time , due to the cold weather!

River

Jul 9, 2010
Gainesville, FL
I'm confused, is it ok to use the same synthetic oil you would put in a car/truck? If not, what type of synthetic oil can I use? Or do I need 2-cycle oil, I didn't see any 2 cycle synthetic oil.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Any two cycle for AIR COOLED engines synthetic or not will be fine for your motor. There are some possibly better than others but none of them are going to ruin your engine. In a lot of the third world countries there is no such thing as two cycle oils readily available and they use plain old 30w motor oil. That is what I used when I was younger. There was no such thing as two stroke oil then.

Jim

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I use 93 octane non oxygenated gas because the alcohol in gasahol will eat rubber seals and parts up, and cause your fuel to degrade over long storage periods. We in Minnesota have a long down time , due to the cold weather!
Not if you put on your snowmobile suit? Just kidding

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I'm confused, is it ok to use the same synthetic oil you would put in a car/truck? If not, what type of synthetic oil can I use? Or do I need 2-cycle oil, I didn't see any 2 cycle synthetic oil.
There's a lot of synthetic 2 stroke oils out there.....it MUST be 2 stroke oil....I have found a semi synthetic at Auto Zone and also Advance Auto.....I sent you a private message River since we both live in Gainesville we should hook up and I can show you the ropes....

Salty.shft.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Salty,

"Must" is a pretty strong statement that you may have difficulty defending. You could defend "Should" but I don't think you can defend "Must".

Jim

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
If you are going to suggest consumers boycott BP because they had a accident maybe you should add your neighbor refiner up the road called Tesoro that has been killing people for years in their Anacortes plant.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I think people are getting tired of oil, gas, smog, oily beeches, oily sea life, and oil dependency (middle east) all together. I can't wait until electric cars are the norm.

I grew up in a way too conservative home and was brainwashed to believe that anyone who cares about the environment is a liberal idiot. Since then (and it has taken 5 years) I have been unbrainwashed and now have my own ideas. I would now say that I am right in the middle of the spectrum and lean both ways (liberal and conservative). I have come to care more about the environment these days.

Hopefully not too much info and I don't want to start an argument. Just wanted to give my two cents.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
I run 93 octane because that's the minimum octane my engine was designed to run. Low compression engines will run fine on regular. When I take my bike to the lake, I buy from the Chevron station there because they have NO ethanol. A non fuel injected engine will run better w/o any alcohol, because ethanol produces less BTU's per pound than gasoline. Alcohol makes for a sorry street fuel but a great racing fuel because it will handle up to 17/1 compression. It will make more power but requires twice the fuel to do it.

I would be more concerned with using high quality synthetic oil than what gas I'm using. The plating on these engines can be destroyed quick with cheap oil.
What kind of engine do you have?

River

Jul 9, 2010
Gainesville, FL
If you are going to suggest consumers boycott BP because they had a accident maybe you should add your neighbor refiner up the road called Tesoro that has been killing people for years in their Anacortes plant.
Well, it wasn't on purpose, but they were drilling with HIGHLY damaged equipment, and they knew it. My neighbor goes down there and reports on the oil spill and supervises cleanups and stuff. I wouldn't say that it was on purpose (hopefully), I don't think their intentions were not to make a huge oil spill and run themselves out of business (although Ben Bernanke will just write them a check for a few $1,000,000,000) but it definitely could have been prevented. I say whoever gave them permission to drill offshore *cough*(Bush)*cough* is where a lot of the blame should go. The fact that they aren't doing anything effective thing to fix it, it what gets me the most, the BP CEO was on a cruise a couple weeks ago.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Tadd,

You have brainwashed if you believe electric cars are the answer to air polution. All a electric car does is relocate the point of polution from its tail pipe to the location of the smoke stack of the natural gas or coal fired generating plant that created the electricity that car is using.
There is really no practical replacement for oil in the forseeable futire. A big step would be to get busy and build nuclear power plants as fast as we can build them. Tough to do with the powerful enviromental lobby. sadly there are no easy answers. When ever we ride our HT powered bike instead of drive a car we can say we do our small part.

Jim

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Tadd,

You have brainwashed if you believe electric cars are the answer to air polution. All a electric car does is relocate the point of polution from its tail pipe to the location of the smoke stack of the natural gas or coal fired generating plant that created the electricity that car is using.
There is really no practical replacement for oil in the forseeable futire. A big step would be to get busy and build nuclear power plants as fast as we can build them. Tough to do with the powerful enviromental lobby. sadly there are no easy answers. When ever we ride our HT powered bike instead of drive a car we can say we do our small part.

Jim
Aren't we a tad off topic here ?......it was a simple question about gas....now it's a full blown political statement......this forum is for bikes.....thus should include just bikes.....sheesh !

Salty.shft.