Illinois Newbee looking for 25cc 4 stroke kit

GoldenMotor.com

radroy92

Jun 12, 2010
chicago area
Hello everybody,

I recently discovered the new law in illinois letting you ride a gas powered bicycle if powered by a 1 hp (25cc) engine and max 20 mph. It's not considered a motor vehicle so no plates licence or insurance!

The only thing is I have been searching the Wed and I can't find a 25cc engine kit unless it's a rear tire friction drive unit. I want to do a chain drive and a 4 cycle engine.
Are any available?

I discovered that Lehr makes a 4 stroke 25cc propane powered weed wacker and found the engine head for one (a Sears version) on Ebay for a good price so it's on the way. I plan to play with this engine (it's coming with a gas carb and no propane setup) and see what I can do. It will be cool to have a 4 stroke engine this small! I found some for model airplanes too but for big $$.

Any help is appreciated!

Roy

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Roy, glad you joined us.

I don't know of any bicycle engine kit with 25cc or less. I think thats something you would have to build yourself.

ezdoesit

Jun 17, 2010
Michigan
Hello everybody,

I recently discovered the new law in illinois letting you ride a gas powered bicycle if powered by a 1 hp (25cc) engine and max 20 mph. It's not considered a motor vehicle so no plates licence or insurance!

The only thing is I have been searching the Wed and I can't find a 25cc engine kit unless it's a rear tire friction drive unit. I want to do a chain drive and a 4 cycle engine.
Are any available?

I discovered that Lehr makes a 4 stroke 25cc propane powered weed wacker and found the engine head for one (a Sears version) on Ebay for a good price so it's on the way. I plan to play with this engine (it's coming with a gas carb and no propane setup) and see what I can do. It will be cool to have a 4 stroke engine this small! I found some for model airplanes too but for big $$.

Any help is appreciated!

Roy
Welcome to the forum radroy92! We have a lot of Great Guys here, you should have no trouble Buying, selling , and trading! Not to mention the wealth of knowlege here to tap into! Good luck on your projects!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. You may need to adapt a goped motor or weed eater motor to stay under 25cc. Google 25cc engines on the net and see what pops up.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Hi Newbee,

I'm also in Il., in Peoria. First off, almost everybody goes ahead and uses the 66cc engines if they want a 2 cycle. Just make sure there is no label stating size on the engine and gear it low for slower speed, also better for hills.

I'm like you though, I want to stay small, although I will probably go closer to 32.5cc.

Check out this page from Staton-Inc., a very reliable company.

Results Page

This page shows all their engines, some are sold singly, others are available only with a kit. They have lots of pages showing it all, so be prepared to browse awhile. They definately have a Honda 25.3cc and a Robin-Subaru 24.5cc, both small enough for your requirements. Quiet and reliable 4 strokes.

For more information on the climate of riding in Illinois, go down to the Laws and Legislation section in the Tavern, look for the thread "Illinois". You may want to skip to within a few pages from the end, it's long and was started before the new law if Jan 1, 2010. It gets pretty involved to say the least. I'm about to add to it now.

Whereabouts in our great state are you?

.flg.

radroy92

Jun 12, 2010
chicago area
WoW!! Thanks for all the great replies! THose links to suppliers will really be useful too!

I picked up a 25cc engine over the weekend. It's a cool 4 cycle Lehr off a Sears propane fuel weed wacker. I have a gasoline carb on it and it runs great.

I understand I need a gear reduction/transmission on the engine before I can use it. Can I do that with a jackshaft? I was looking at the Sick Bike Parts jackshaft/front freewheel kits too. So I'll end up with two jackshafts??

Thanks,

Roy

radroy92

Jun 12, 2010
chicago area
Catfisher wrote:
For more information on the climate of riding in Illinois, go down to the Laws and Legislation section in the Tavern, look for the thread "Illinois". You may want to skip to within a few pages from the end, it's long and was started before the new law if Jan 1, 2010. It gets pretty involved to say the least. I'm about to add to it now.

Whereabouts in our great state are you?
--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in Oak Lawn almost touching the SW corner of Chicago. Where/what is the Tavern??

Thanks,

Roy

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
WOW way to go catfisher i never knew about that site its def goin in my fav, i wonder why they dont associate with this site or sponsor it im sure they would get some good buisness out of it or perhaps they dont need it :rolleyes: