Disguising an engine

GoldenMotor.com

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Can one get away with diguising a driven engine with a thin zip-on nylon bag that allows air through?

Or will any impeding at all of the air flow cause damaging overheating?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Sometimes I see these guys down here in FL. wearing those camo. colored shirts and pants and I almost bump into them cause I can`t see them.....Or try painting it camo.colors.It would blend right into the surroundings.....Just kidding...The baskets with the bottom cut out might work good...Zip tie it....

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Can one get away with diguising a driven engine with a thin zip-on nylon bag that allows air through?

Or will any impeding at all of the air flow cause damaging overheating?

That's funny! You're not fooling me but how about those paperboy baskets? If you lined them with inner bags with handles that might go a long way towards hiding the engine. At least from the side.

Or how about a seat post mounted rear rack with panniers?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had been trying to do something similar with my frame mounted engine. I was planning to cover the sides of the engine but leave the front, top and rear open for airflow. I plan to add some spacers between the cooling fins to reduce noise. To further reduce noise, I will use fiberglass wrap in the muffler, make an exhaust extension, and make a baffled air box for the intake.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
I just talked to Staton's yesterday about the saddlebag disguise kit. He told me to not hold my breath, it takes a long time to design and get molds made. He didn't expect anything within six months.

There was a recent picture of a bike with the rear motor well disguised, I'll try to find it. Anybody else see it?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think Staton has one of the stelth kits out,beacause I did not notice any motors on any of the bikes today around the neighbor hood

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Engines are easy to hide but you can't DISQUISE the sound, i was pulled cause cops can here it running, not because they saw anything on the bike.

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
If one cut to size a piece of old sacking with holes in it, and carefully sewed and wrapped it round a Robin 35 to disguise its shape, would there still be enough ventilation flowing through the holes to provide sufficient cooling?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nope.
The burlap is a bad idea.

Any screen over the motor will hamper cooling.
If not moving at a decent rate to force air through a cooling duct will be fatal.

AND
the burlap fabric will soak up engine fumes and become a combustion point.
just like a molotov cocktail.
probly not a gud thing.

IMO, exhaust noise is first to bring unwanted attention,
second would be erratic movements in the traffic pattern.
Third might be NOT dressing as a customary bicyclist.
Fourth would be a Pnut tank.

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
What is the easiest way to reduce the exhaust note of a Robin 35?
Maybe a little bit of steel wool, scrubby pads... stuffed into a soup can, added onto existing exhaust pipe?????

don't pack it in tite... leave it loose to avoid creating too much back pressure.

Or u can make a glass-pack with some fiber-glass insulation wrapped around a piece of hardware cloth, inserted into a length of tube...

good luck
rc