chain tensioner for 410 chain?

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
finished anotherone yesterday...first time with a grubee...the grubee came with 410 chain instead of 415....unfortunately the kit from gas bike had a 415 chain tensioner...it was very tricky to keep the chain from derailing where i usually put the tensioner about 3 to 4 inches from the rear sprocket...instead i had to place it about 12 inches away...when it was at my normal mounting point i would crank the wheel and watch the chain walk from side to side on the tensioner causing the chain to fall off either side of the gear....does anybody know about a thinner tensioner for the thinner chain???cause i would only build with this thinner chain if there is a correctly sized tensioner...i liked the smaller chain when i rode it it is much easier too peddle and will be less drag on the motor(once i get it broke in) your input is always apreciated thanks

usflg

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I've got a Grubee Angel Fire that came with a 410. Would I be able to use the 415 on it? It seems like the teeth and the amount of room are identical to my other bike that runs a 415. Has anyone tried to?

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
I've got a Grubee Angel Fire that came with a 410. Would I be able to use the 415 on it? It seems like the teeth and the amount of room are identical to my other bike that runs a 415. Has anyone tried to?
wont work....i took the chain from another one of my bikes and layed the rear gear on it.....the theeth dont mesh....i do have to say i like the 410 chain better anyway...my friends jr dragster uses 415 and its 45 hp...the 415 is overkill i just wish there was a 410 tensioner pulley

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
This tensioner does work with 410 chain, you just have to angle the tensioner so the chain rides up against one side of the tensioner plastic wheel. It also helps if your sprockets are lined up good.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could make your own wheel,some use a rubber skateboard wheel.
And then cut a groove on the wheel thats a little bigger than your chain and it will match your chain better.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A mountain bike tensioner would work I think, but are about 20 dollars or more- try dealer Abaxo on ebay.

I tried a narrow chain and sprocket and threw the chain right off, and lost the woodruff key in the process- that thing that holds the sprocket on the axle besides the nut-

my hope was to get a better peddle too- but I think it has not enough clearance- so I'm still waiting for that locking freewheel on the sprocket to allow a pedal start and then switch to freewheel to pedal-
that place in Austrailia has one but you have to stop and get off to switch it over- we need one with a cable switch

anyway- I'm staying 415 now- I was barely moving when the chain came off and locked up the back wheel- I don't want to take the risk OR keep fixing it!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
thanks for the skate board wheel idea...im sure i could spin that on a drill and take a file to it....thats a great idea....why didnt i think of that....oh yeah im known for not so great ideas and learning the hard way....got the scars to prove it