How many options for centered sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I want a sprocket solution for my bike so I don't have to worry about tightening the bolts perfectly for the sprocket alignment, but I want something that just needs to be bolted on. This should be simple. I know that Jim at Creative Engineering has a sprocket adapter. But, I just want to know if there is anything else; I want to know all the options out there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, I'm sure Jim is just waiting to launch onto this one...

HT2005, Jim, the Manic Mechanic (Creative Engineering) offers a great product that I've heard nothing but good reports on but to answer your question there have been successful installs using a disc brake rotor hub. This takes some skill to adapt and not something the casual weekend mechanic should tackle. There are other clamp on, or socalled clam shell style of adapters available but I have no links for you at the present. maybe someone else who has tried one of them will jump in. Good luck.
Tom

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I want a sprocket solution for my bike so I don't have to worry about tightening the bolts perfectly for the sprocket alignment, but I want something that just needs to be bolted on. This should be simple. I know that Jim at Creative Engineering has a sprocket adapter. But, I just want to know if there is anything else; I want to know all the options out there.
funny thread

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
No need to look at any other options! Just buy Jims! It will save you alot of headaches, and outlast any bike you will ever put it on!

This coming from a very satisfied customer that is getting ready to order two more!

John

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
What you seem to be looking for is halfway down this page. And no, I have no experience with either the company or their product.
One of the fellows I did a bike for tried that product. He came back a few months later with a couple broken spokes. As Jim mentioned driving the hub instead of spokes should be less likely for this to happen. But only two cases of people coming back with broken hubs and both had hub drive. Both guys were a little heavy and there may be other factors at work because it seems these should be better not worse.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
One of the fellows I did a bike for tried that product. He came back a few months later with a couple broken spokes. As Jim mentioned driving the hub instead of spokes should be less likely for this to happen. But only two cases of people coming back with broken hubs and both had hub drive. Both guys were a little heavy and there may be other factors at work because it seems these should be better not worse.
There is just no way Jim's adaptor could cause broken spokes. If installed properly it doesn't even touch the spokes. It drives strickly off the hub.
You say the guys that had the broken spokes were "A little heavy" What is a little heavy? The average bicycle wheel definitly has a certain weight limit. I imagine they were exceeding the limit for the stock spokes.

John

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This isn't knocking Jims sprocket adapter in any way! (I'm actually thinking of buying a few myself)
But in looking at it, it seems that if it's just a tiny bit loose on the hub, (or if there's a heavy rider), it could slip forward on the hub & put all the engine force on just THREE SPOKES & possibly break them?

I think Jims sprocket adapters are the shiznit!, but the problem might be that the "average joe" doesn't have the skill to give Jim a accurate measurement of the hub when ordering one?

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I didn't mention that the hubs on my wheels are of the elliptical (cone?) shape and that if I wanted to use Jim's adapter, I'd have to buy new wheels.

I'm getting the impression that some people think this thread is comical. I don't understand why some people think this way. Is it because Mr.Swarthout has a monopoly on adapters?

I'm just looking for all options and the online message board is the best way, in my opinion, to find these.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It would've helped a lot if you had mentioned that your hub is cone shaped.
I don't know of any hub adapters that will work for you.
You should either buy another wheel (or hub), or use the stock rag joint & sprocket.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I didn't mention that the hubs on my wheels are of the elliptical (cone?) shape and that if I wanted to use Jim's adapter, I'd have to buy new wheels.

I'm getting the impression that some people think this thread is comical. I don't understand why some people think this way. Is it because Mr.Swarthout has a monopoly on adapters?

I'm just looking for all options and the online message board is the best way, in my opinion, to find these.
HT,

Good afternoon!

One of my customers, and an all-around good guy bought a hub from a company in CA. It is made specifically for MB's. I have the info at the shop, but I'm home now. His screen name here is outrunner. If you are inclined to relace a wheel, this would be a great option. It's not difficult, and everyone should do it at least once. I made him a custom 37T sprocket for his hub. PM outrunner and he will be glad to help.

If you do decide to buy another wheel with a cylindrical hub...I'll be glad to make you an adapter and sprocket. I don't have a monopoly on a rag joint alternative...I do have a monopoly on the process. I don't know of anyone else who will make them to order for an exact fit.

My adapter does require that the customer accurately measure the hub...I've shipped nearly 500 units, 200 have gone to several of my vendors. The other 300 went to individual customers...there have been zero problems thus far. I have been designing new products for far too long to let a non-proven product leave the shop. Yes I tested it extensively before anyone knew I had them for sale.

Most people don't like to talk-up products for fear of being considered a spammer, or somehow affiliated with the seller of said products. Out of 300 retail sales...about 20 have posted comments here on the forum. I'll ask one of my vendors and a few individual customers to give thier impression.

Jim

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I will gladly chime in on this......... Jim's hub adapter is the single best modification you can buy and the price is VERY reasonable, if you use the rag joint your wheel will eventually self destruct at the worst time possible........LOL. I do engineering for a living and he has though this part out very well. I haven't had to even touch the adapter since I put it on 500 miles ago and my rear wheel is in perfect shape. The only other decent alternatives seem to be a special built rear hub that requires a relacing. When I show my bike to people I love to point out the cool billet adapter on the rear wheel ;-)

.sno.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just glancing over the other hub mount I have to say I noticed a couple of things.

One, it looks like they're just using a hub with threads on the left for either a brake disk or a flip flop hub. How could they patent this since I've seen it done many times before. Grubee even offers a kit to do this.

Two is this statement:

The common method to start a bike's gas motor requires the rider to pedal the bike up to a certain speed and then let go of the clutch -- called a jump-start. Each time you stop for a traffic light or stop sign, this routine is repeated.
Umm is that what I'm supposed to do at a light or a stop sign? If so I've been riding the wrong way. lol

Oh and I think it's really called a bump-start, you jump-start a car with a dead battery.

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
I can tell you all that Jim's sprocket adaptor and sprockets is the best thing you could buy to make you build go alot easyer. I have bought three of them for bikes that i have built and would not use the junk that comes in the kits. I looked at what comes in the kits and read some post about the problems some people had in installing the sprockets and looked a Jim's and there was no dout that that is the only to go.Make sure Jim get the right size you need and that all there is to it. Got to be the bust money spent by far.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Since you have a tapered hub it pretty much it all boils down to:

1. Sticking with the wheel you have now and using the rag joint

2. Changing the wheel/hub to a non tapered and using a hub adapter.

3. Changing the wheel/hub to a left hand threaded hub and using a thread on adapter/disk brake adapter.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
I ordered 2 hub adaptors and sprockets from Jim yesterday. Looks like a quality product, reasonable price, and guess what.....he answers the phone! LOL.

Done deal in my book, why look any further?

Good luck!

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok, the sprocket adapter that Jim sells seems like a good choice to me. Now, I just need to buy a new wheel with 12 guage spokes because the spokes I have currently are fatigued. Also need a cylindrical hub.

Thanks for the info guys.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I bought a solid drive sprocket and wheel with a go-kart drum brake set up. It has heavy duty
sealed ball bearings and heavier spokes and rim. It's basically a bolt on wheel assembly, but it's
not cheap either, so that is one good option. As far as useing your existing rear wheel, I STRONGLY
recommend Creative Engineerings drive sprocket.it's the best thing since Budweiser canned beer!!!
Outrunner