what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Good question. Looks like I should have been using stabilizer all along. I plan on getting some Sta-Lube additive called Sta-Bil. I also started using Lucas gas treatment and expect a lot less carbon and spark plug cleaning. Open to suggestions though. Thanks.

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO

The plastic mounting bracket for my brake light and turn signals broke, so I took the housing apart, drilled a hole in it, and threaded a bolt through it so I could mount it to the reflector bracket on my rack. Well, when I took apart the light, one of the wires came completely apart. I mean the coating crumbled off and then the wire popped off the solder and turned into a few fine strands and floated away. I put it all back together and it pretty much still works, minus the horn and the light-up indicator letting me know if my signal is still on after I turn. I'll look into grafting some sturdier wire to the old wire's stub and re-soldering it if it's too aggravating.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

-- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works has Wald steel racks and baskets, just like yesteryear! Strong and cheap! ($10-20)

today i just rode:) now yesterday...lost the bolt to the baffler lol..fixed it later in the day...then on my way back home with a bag of groceries tied(or so i thought) to the back of MB it broke and...a pack of cookies got stuck in my back wheel causing it to lock and i kinda slid..they were destroyed...rest of the food survived...makes me kinda miss my old saddle baskets..sold them earlier in the week

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I'm sure there are plenty of products out there, esp for bulk fuel storage (5, 10, 50 gallons). I've used Sta-bil before which came in either little plastic bulbs, like ketchup packets, or in jugs with a mixing device/measuring bowl on the jug, kind of like some 2 cycle oils come in.

For it to work, you have to drain your carb or bleed your fuel line, or run the engine, until the mixed Stabil fuel gets to the carb and engine. Then its supposed to protect the fuel lines and carb from getting gummed up.

Sta-Bil fogging oil (for seasonal storage, spray in the spark hole or intake)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cg4N0Y7+L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
$5-10

Sta-bil measuring bottle, fuel stabilizer anti-varnish
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yGGqpoGYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
$10-15 for big bottle (do your gas cans, mowers, cars, bikes, etc)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

'Nother coat of gray primer on some parts. 'Nother coat of my favorite red on others. More futzing with the headlight housing trying to get the parts to mate up correctly - more filing and grinding. And very good news from fundreamer, who wrote to say he received the plans and measurements for my tank and will be starting work on it shortly. The softball-bat-tank was not entirely a bad idea, I think, but I know I will need one that holds a bit more than 24 ounces. I had to face facts: the bat-tank would have been too small for me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

What didn't I do to my motor bike today?

First off, I ran it into a brick wall at approx 15mph, then turned the forks around 180 degrees and ran back into the wall to straighten the forks back to their normal rake. Then I thought I'd test the new "thorn proof" tubes out by riding though a field of dried goat heads. The mission was a success in that I ended up with two flat tires.....thorn proof tubes 0.....goat heads 2. Bad score.

Next it was time for traffic play.....hmmm, what could possibly happen now? Oh let me see how it feels too rear end a parked automobile. Ouch.....bent the forks again, and flattend another tire. Could things get worse?

Next thing ya know......I woke up. It was just a reasonably bad dream. So all I ended up doing to my motor bike today is ride it......just like I do everyday!

dnut

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

started working on my custom halfmoon fiberglass fenders... going to have some awesome stick out 3d designs in it...ordered new motor and gotta figure out how to take the wobble out of my cooaster rear wheel... the lock nuts are to loose iguess

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

replaced the front inner tube.

this weekend i'm going to strip it down and paint the frame : D

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

put on a new back tire since i kept noticing the spot in the threads of 1 i put on like 2 weeks ago then i had that mishap saturday with the pack of cookies lol...when the tire slid it i guess u could say flat spotted it as they say in nascar lol. the tire i got today was a good deal...$7...last 1 they had wish they hadda anuther would have got it. and it wasnt walmart i got it at either lol a place called magic mart here where the walmart used to be

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I found these Cheng Shin / Bell Streamliner 2.25s on fleabay for $7 each
http://motorbicycling.com/members/h...kit-picture639-bell-streamliner-2-25-tire.jpg

I got one from Walmart yesterday for $15 before I found that, and its good. Its a big, soft tire, rides nice, stops great, corners ok. For $7 can't beat it! Great for spares too because they can be rolled up.

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I found these Cheng Shin / Bell Streamliner 2.25s on fleabay for $7 each
http://motorbicycling.com/members/h...kit-picture639-bell-streamliner-2-25-tire.jpg

I got one from Walmart yesterday for $15 before I found that, and its good. Its a big, soft tire, rides nice, stops great, corners ok. For $7 can't beat it! Great for spares too because they can be rolled up.
that's the same one i have on the back tire, it feels absolutely great!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Cursed a Rag Joint sprocket to high **** and back for not lining up well after almost 3 hours of grinding out the sprocket hole and mounting the darn thing...

Eazymoney

Feb 13, 2011
CA

put a new tube on today after a week..adjusted my brakes..rode around my neighborhood took it back home let it cool down jumped back on it about 45 minutes ago with a flash light cause its dark outside found this long straight road and just pulled the throttle all the way down till i hit top speed i had to be flying about 47mph then i just went cruising around the neighborhood again xct2

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cursed a Rag Joint sprocket to high **** and back for not lining up well after almost 3 hours of grinding out the sprocket hole and mounting the darn thing...
LOL Mark.

If you cursed a rag joint after 3 hrs of coercing.....You might be a MBer

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Did you make the hole too big? What hub are you using? You may be able to salvage it.

I mounted mine on a hi stop coaster. The stock cog fit right on, but the replacement 36t had a smaller hole (front freewheel cog). I used a half-round file to grind out the center incrementally, and used the pedal side chain and crankset to turn the cog on the file. I opened it up enough to fit in a short time.

If you have a common freewheel or cassette hub for geared bikes, check out the hybriped sprocket adapter, $50. I'm getting one for my next mb if it isn't friction drive.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I finished, and tested, my vintage-look carbide lamp styled headlight housing. Installed the bulb socket and reflector-lens assembly, wired it up, and turned it on. Illumination!!!! It works! It works effin' GREAT! And it looks cooler than anything I could buy off the shelf (except maybe a real vintage motocycle carbide lamp)! I'm so pumped about it. I love it when a plan comes together.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I spent hours researching tires for my new build. I am not going to spoil the surprise yet. Will share in about 3 weeks! It will be full sus. Here is a sample picture of what the tire profile will be on it. Note this is not the actual bike. The bike will have a in frame motor;)

Attachments