Is a Brass Bushing Engine not as fast?

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Or is it because I didn't widen the intake to match the old cylinder? This cylinder had a much smaller intake that I widened with sandpaper on a stick, such a slow go I said good enough, but was it?

My motor of olde got about 60kmh top speed, whereas my new brass bushing motor gets about 50+ kmh.

Another possible factor is that its only been 2 tanks breaking in with Opti2, still not up to full seating of rings?

This is only my second motor so my experience is limited, please tell me about brass bushings vs needle bearing in your experience.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
These engines need 200-300 miles to fully break-in and run to full potential.
Intake size could affect power, but wait till it's all settled and tuned to worry about top speed.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not totally sure about this, but I read that installing a 'good' brass bushing can be better, but most motors that have the cheap brass bushings tend to be older designs that may be both slower & have more vibration

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ordered some new brass bushing form Juicemotors.com, haven't used one yet, but I'm gonna try one in the Karaoke bike engine when I have time to pulll the jug and do a little port work on it and notch the intake side of the piston, I know how the engine runs now so I will see if it balances it any and what the overall performance is with the bushing instead of the needle bearing.

No doubt that a bushing with have more friction than a needle bearing but it may not show up in the performance of the engine if a quality 2 smoke oil is used and the lower of the engine is in good condition, may actually quieten down the top of the engine also.

Map