Hello and help needed for father....

GoldenMotor.com

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
Well, hello everyone.

Just joined and am hoping to get some guidance gearing my dad up. Just wondering where to start. Some background on me, etc.

I've been riding a Bacchetta recumbent for about 8 years now and still love it (no motor......yet!). I got my dad on a Easy Racer a few years ago, spent a fair amount of time outfitting it with an electric wheel motor. Turned out really nice but he just never took to it. He used it for a few months and fizzled out. Honestly it never had quite enough power (see below)

EDIT 6/30: Well now he wants a motor on his Trike, Sun X3. Can a friction be used on a trike?

He's going on 70 and would like to get more exercise. We live in a valley which makes it hard for him to ride as it's a steep climb to get out to the flats where he;s more likely to ride.

I'm inclined to a gas motor but I really am not set on anything and have no idea what I should be looking at.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum! So I gather that your Dad would mostly be pedaling when out on the flats, just using the motor to get there and maybe give himself a break from pedaling now and then? And no rel interest in going fast.

Since a China girl setup has the chain from the engine going round all the timethere is some noise and drag from that even with the engine off. A friction drive on the other hand can be completely disengaged from the driven wheel when the engine is off so there is no noise and no drag. So that's what I'd go for. I think dax has a setup like that. Someone else can steer you toward vendors. Electric is both expensive hand heavier with the batteries. Good luck and good thing you're doing for your dad.
SB

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
SB,

Exactly right he'll be peddling on the flats.

Can you send me in the right direction for the recommendations you made? Not sure who Dax is or a friction drive, since I only have experience with electric.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://thatsdax.com/

He's one of the vendors here advertised to the side of this post. I was just looking and I would imagine that the 32cc four stroke Titan at 1 1/2 hsp. would be the ticket. I believe the friction drive mounting kit and the engine are sold separately as there are different engine choices. This would be an easy to start, quiet and reliable engine, something he can count on every time he goes out for a ride. ( No, I don't work for Dax).

It would be good here if someone actually using this setup up or something similar would weigh in and advise. I have little experience with friction drive.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Meant to clarify what friction drive is. The motor shaft has a roller on it and some kind of lever mechanism brings the whole motor (roller) into contact with the wheel, either front or rear depending on the setup. The spinning roller makes the wheel go round and off you go. Simple. When you want to just pedal you move the lever and the roller is no longer in contact with the wheel, thus no drag. Some firction drive motors start with a pull cord and others start by pedaling the bike a bit and moving the lever so the roller engages with the wheel... give it gs and go. Usually mounting a friction drive kit is simple and straight forward. I think your dad might like this.
SB

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
OK, I'm still trying to work on this for my dad.

Anyone, can you recommend an electric friction kit?

As for gas, how do you feel about the Bumble Bee kit?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The rest of the guys might know but as far as I know there is no electric drive friction kit, just gas. The majority of electrics are hub drive:you replace the stock hub with a motor.. The gas option would most likely be the best option for your dad, especially using a "girls" bike. When they are off and disengaged you get no drag at all above and beyond the normal bike and still allow pedal assist. Range is much further with gas and the friction motors are of a much higher quality than the China 2 stroke motors. A good many come with Japanese motors including 4 stroke motors, probibly your best option.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
OK, I'm still trying to work on this for my dad.

Anyone, can you recommend an electric friction kit?

As for gas, how do you feel about the Bumble Bee kit?
there are electric friction drives out there but mostly on a custom owner build Bicycles

Bumble bee... gimicky and costs 3x more then its worth I do not see them lasting very long.

www.Staton-inc.com is the leading maker of friction drives using a gas motor.

http://80ccmotorboys.com/

has the cheapest friction drive kit available
My thread on using one is here
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=38406

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
Any new suggestions? As Winter is now past, my dad has me working on this project again. I'm still partial to friction just because it will be easier to install.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
If friction drives are your preference, Staton or ThatsDax are your best choice. Bumble Bee is too fishy for me and doesn't look like a solid product. Live Fast Motors has a 37cc 4 stroke Huasheng engine for $165.00. What ever you do, don't by the rear mount bicycle kit from Live Fast Motors - They are junk. http://www.livefastmotors.com/produ...or-your-custom-motorized-bicycle-project.html

Buy the friction kit from Staton or ThatsDax and the 37cc engine from Live fast Motors and you'll have a quality kit. ThatsDax even has a video on how to install his kit. This will give you an idea how much work is involved which isn't much, compared to other kits. Dwayne from ThatsDax is good at taking phone calls and customer service if you give him respect: http://thatsdax.com/INSTALL_FRICTION_DRIVE_VIDEO.html

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Much as I dislike friction drives, I tend to agree this is probably your best bet for ease and reliability as well as easy pedaling when not motoring.I have heard nothing but good about DAX and Staton both so you should have a easy choice between them.
LR Jerry has a slick friction shifting setup...he might be willing to help steer you towards the good stuff.
Avoid the bumblebee bolt on. Lots of complaints here about it being poorly made.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I concur. Call or Skype Duane at "ThatsDax" He will be glad to help you with your decision. Sincerely a good and honest man. Been dealing with vendors for more than 3 years now-My experience for what it's worth here is Nobody but Nobody comes close to the customer service That'sDax provides. Good luck and be sure Dad is safe.