Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I would almost 100 percent garauntee you Norman can make it run. He's good and he doesn't mind helping someone out......................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Sounds to me like you have a shot at it with the dealer. I would just let that play out but please do tell me what happens. Everything I learn about these monsters helps. Thanks

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
I appreciate your offer and help Norman. I hope I can resolve things with the seller. RE: small metal key...I see it but fail to see how it works. It sets flush in the shaft. Does magnetic\centrafugal force pull it out to lock ?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If the bicycle motor key is flush that probably means it has been sheared or is the wrong key. I bet thats your problem...................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
like Bob said if its flush with the shaft it sounds like for some reason its sheared that will throw the timing off . The key is supposed to lock the magnetic rotor to the shaft so they turn together this key locks in the timing. For an easy check if you can put the rotor on the shaft with out lining up the keyways there is the problem the timing is way off. It could be firing way ,way off. Its got to have that key in there or at least the key slots have to line up to get it close to firing in time.
I hope this is the problem and if it is all you need is a new key. You can make one but if you have never done it before it would be easier to buy one. The key needs to fit very snug in the shafts slot and the rotors slot.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Quality control" being what it is for these Chinaco engines, I wouldn't doubt that they threw in too small of a key 'cause it's what they had on hand.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
WE HAVE IGNITION !!!! I improvised with a cut nail. But then I noticed it did not rotate directly when you moved the bike wheel. So I took off the clutch plate and observed the clutch didn't rotate constantly. So after tightening the clutch (no directions) I put everything back together and IGNITION !!! It works great. Wouldn't you know it had to be something stupid like a clutch. I should have clued in when I was asked if it sounded like the motor was running when I peddled. Also the spark I observed was not constant which could have been another indicator. Apparently the clutch was tight enough to turn the engine with the plug out and no compression but too loose to crank the engine with the plug in and cylinder compression when I peddled. I have asked the dealer for the correct key. I don't think this was a factor but I don't want to be miles from nowhere and have my nail break. I wonder how many units are out there with small keys.

Thank-you everybody for your ideas and interest in getting this resolved. I don't think anybody will let a loose clutch cause them this aggravation.

Thanks so much and happy motoring........

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am sitting here grinning from ear to ear. (^) glad you got your bicycle motor running. now the real fun begins:ride:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow - so basically the clutch was slipping rather than the engine turning over? Wow! Mine was the opposite.

Good going - great patience! I think I would have had a bonfire.(^):p

Well another one for the "what to check pile"!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No you wouldn't lol....

We all go through that at first, then you almost have to shoot them to stop them.

My brother who worked on the Nike' rocket program in the sixties said the Russian rockets were like a big ben alarm clock you could throw them against the wall and the would still work. US rockets were like swiss watches and a grain of sand would blow them up.

Chinese bike engines are like those Russian rockets. They may rattle and bang even sound like they are going to explode but they keep on running right up till they just die of old age. At least that is my impression so far. I got that impression from Norman lol.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You got a homemade wood ruff key coming in the mail if the customs people will let it through to Canada. They might look at that letter with a lump in it kind of funny like. I hope I have enough postage on it. If not I don't know if it will come back to me or they will nail you. I hope they will get it to you. That was fun fighting a Bicycle motor on a motorized bicycle. We got to use these keywords as it will help get other people searching the web to find your little dark side forum. I need to do some posts with those words in the title. Any of you boys willing to help? We are soon going to be number ONE. The friendy Forum. I very glad you got the little thing to run now the fun begins the care and feeding of a 2-stroke bicycle motor or as some would say bicycle engine. Are we having fun yet?rotfl
Lord Vader

Last edited:

dgoria5

Mar 15, 2008
I just got my first 80cc bike motor, my instuction manual is so vague its terrible. I was hoping someone could tell me how to attach one end of the throttle cable to the carb. It would be great is someone could help out

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I just got my first 80cc bike motor, my instuction manual is so vague its terrible. I was hoping someone could tell me how to attach one end of the throttle cable to the carb. It would be great is someone could help out
Norm's pictorial is great and in combo with the supplied instructions you should see how the cable goes through the slots....it's kinda tricky to hold the whole assembly and get the cable end in place - the only thing I will say: it's much easier with complete slack on the cable so disconnect it from the grip twist the first time......

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Everyone has given you good advice.. I add just this... Everything goes INSIDE the brass bowl not outside. I installed it outside because the vague dealer directions looked that way to me. After an hour Normal helped me to pretty much rebuild my engine. If you don't hook the carb to the bike you can look down the manifold tube and see the needle go up and down as you work the throttle.

Look at Norman's picture as you install to get the order of things right.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
dgora 4...send me your email address and I will send you a PDF file that has petty good installation instructions....I forgot the website I got it from.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
NORMAN...thanks so much for your help. I hope the customs and postal service lets it through with no problem. I'll let you know.