Senior Project

GoldenMotor.com

taylorg

May 1, 2012
Macon
Hey guys, well for my senior project im building a bike. Its just that i have no clue what kind of kit i need to get. Help Please :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take your time, read up on all the options right here on this site, then make an educated decision.

For simplicity, go with a rack mount or friction drive.

For low cost and a bit of tinkering, an in frame will do.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Welcome and good luck. Do a whole lot of reading on this site and make notes. I read for months before jumping in and after several years now I can see just how much it helped me avoid a lot of mistakes You'll get alot of helpful advice and encouragement here. Take your time and try to do it right the first time, and if you like to tinker this is the place to be. Pirate Cycles are a real good outfit to look at for product.
Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did someone say, "Senior". We have plenty of them here, many with years of mechanical and technical experience to help you with your project. If you can't find an answer using the Google Custom Search feature, just ask. You'll get plenty of opinions.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
Tom

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Welcome were not senior were just old adolescents . When I start a project the thing I think of first is skill level what can I do , the next i how is my tooling . An last how big a project do you want to start . My build is therapy , at work just about everything I build gets distorted . With my bike the fun is in the build . Read lots and have tons of fun with your project . Dan

Last edited:

taylorg

May 1, 2012
Macon
Thanks yall so much, I just have no idea where to start. My step-dad rides a lot and my neighbor did a Kikker 5150 bike kit and he loved it but I never got to see it. Iv looked around on the internet to find that bike but I always see that it has been discontinued :( but I just need a simple easy bike that I can ride on long-distance trips and something comfy, and cheap. I have the place to build it and all I just don't know what exactly to be looking at.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start by checking out the many vendors you see down both sides of this page. Then keep reading the numerous threads aimed at whatever you have a question about.
You'll find information on cruiser bikes, choppers, road bikes and even trikes.
There are kit builders and the DIY guys who have found ways to use engines from various garden tools, pumps and generators. There are threads (discussions) on the best mounting techniques, troubleshooting and wiring/electrical and much more.
The beauty of our hobby is that you're only limited by your wallet and your imagination. The search feature will provide you with hours of reading. Just type in a keyword/s and sit back and enjoy.
If you have specific questions there's always someone here to help. Good Luck.
Tom