Hello from TN

GoldenMotor.com

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Hey there everyone, my name is Nick. I'm in college, recently totaled my car (Turbo Cavalier), and have no money. A motorized bicycle seem like a great option because i will be able to ride it to school/work and i wont have to have insurance and i dont plan on registering it either. Ive been doing tons of research and planning, but i have mixed feelings about actually starting a project.

Worries:
1. I'm young and i love speed (more so acceleration than top end), so am i just going to be totally bored on one of these? I am also around 215# lol I've been researching performance mods and some of them look really cool but the gains i have been seeing are not really what i would have expected.

2. My budget is about $200 currently. Now hear me out, that is the budget for the most basic motorized bicycle i could build and ride to work. I dont currently own a bicycle but thats going to be the easy part since im sure i can find one pretty cheap. The conflict im having here is that one day i would like a bike capable of over 40mph, and i probably wont end up using a lot of the "kit" parts besides the motor. So should i just buy the cheapo kit now and upgrade all the parts, or should i make my own kit and hope i can get it together alright? I have mechanical skill and tools, I just dont know a whole lot about these little motors.

If you made it this far, Thanks for reading :)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello CrazyFoo328 welcome to the forum glad you joined us.

I'm a speed freak myself but I do enjoy just cruising around at 20mph as well. Sometimes slowing down can be just as much fun as speeding around.

But if I do get bored, then I head out to several local tracks for some fun now and then.

If budget is a problem right now I would stick with just your basic engine kit and later on when things get better you can improve your ride or start building one on the side.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Honestly 20mph sounds WAYYY better than walking lol I plan on just cruising around most of the time anyways.

As far as kits go, the cheapest one i found was $160 shipped on ebay. Are there any cheaper? lol I would imagine quality can go down a whole lot from there.

Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80CC-MOTOR-...ltDomain_0&hash=item256dec45b9#ht_4959wt_1163

My second option is currently:

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/product_2218_detailed.htm

Since for $1 I can "upgrade to whatever is better about this kit

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/product_51_detailed.htm

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I think a basic kit and a simple bike would work out well for a while. Change out parts as the budget allows , and enjoy the ride. The best part of these things is parts are quite affordable and easy to get.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Tn state law is max of 30mph
max of 50cc and 2hp
you HAVE to have a valid DL
you want to get up to speed fast... pedal harder!!!
otherwise buy a motorcycle

as far as quality of a kit your already looking at the bottom of the barrel

current law is in ""Tennessee motorcycle operator manual"" available from all Tennessee DMV
you may want to carry a copy when riding in case you get pulled over for those LEO that think they know the laws but don't

(34) “Motorized bicycle” means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

http://tntrafficsafety.org/htm/Laws/def101.htm

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are my guidelines for building: predominant riding terrain, lookup and read local legal requirements, primary rider's physique and budget. Do your research then you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build.

Tennessee code 55-8-101 (33), (34) and (35).

(33) Motorcycle means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, including a vehicle that is fully enclosed, has three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, weighs less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and has the capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits, excluding a tractor or motorized bicycle;

(34) Motor-driven cycle means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(35) Motorized bicycle means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Class M (Motorcycle)
The operator of a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or
motorized bicycle will need to apply for a Class M license.
These two and three-wheeled vehicles are categorized by
cylinder capacity and other design features. Generally, if the
vehicle is over 125 cubic centimeters, a Class M license is
issued; under 125cc, a Class M limited license is issued.
Class M licenses may be issued as a single license, or
page 8
http://www.tn.gov/safety/publications/05Manual.pdf

this we are going to have to look into

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here is the website for the "Tennessee Government Department of Safety & Homeland Security" http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/classmate.shtml. Here is what they say:

Motorcycle Operator (Class M) License

What is a Class M Motorcycle Operator License?

A Class M motorcycle license allows the holder 16 years of age or older the privilege of operating a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle over 50cc. The operator of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle will need to apply for a Class M license (or XM license). These two and three-wheeled vehicles are categorized by cylinder capacity and other design features. Class M licenses (XM license) may be issued as a single license, or along with another primary class.

Applicants wishing to apply for a Class M license/XM license should obtain and read the Motorcycle Operator Manual which is available at all driver license service centers located throughout the state.

Any operator of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle 15 years of age requires a special permit allowing the fifteen year old to operate a motorcycle with certain restrictions after completing the requirement established for a motorcycle license.

Anyone with a valid Tennessee driver license may operate a motorized bicycle that is 50cc or less and no endorsement is required on the driver license.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
I appreciate the help guys, and please dont take this as im some punk kid who doesnt care about anything, but im honestly not the least bit concerned about the laws haha. Jerry, i actually read through your TN laws thread yesterday while i was researching. I'll let you guys know if i get in any trouble on it, but in cookeville i really dont see any of the cops caring. They have more important things to worry about.

I think im gonna order my little china girl tomorrow with hopes it will process and ship out this coming week. This will give me time to take the whole thing apart and check for defects before i strap it on a bike. Hopefully i get lucky and get a decent one.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The reason I personally talk about the legal requirements is motorized bikes are getting banned in many places. So people who have total disregard for the law could cause problems for others as well as themselves. Our state gives us a lot of leeway as to what we can build. Let's keep it that way. Do the right thing keep it legal and don't be one of those people who give motorized bicycling a bad reputation. Good luck with your build.

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
Ok so while digging around researching today i found this 49cc engine, the DAX GP50 (http://thatsdax.com/). How in the world did they make a 49cc 9hp?! Is this something that is realistic or are their numbers outrageous?

CrazyFoo328

Mar 9, 2012
TN
I just read through that whole thread and that motor sounds like way more than i need, but everything i want lol I think i will stick with trying to make A cheaper motor motor make a little extra power. Thanks for the link!